You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: How Long Have You Posted On A Guns N' Roses Fanboard?

FlashFlood wrote:

01, fall. 8th grade. HTGTH, then ROV.

When did you first register on a Guns N' Roses forum?

2015/2016 0%
2013/2014 0%
2011/2012 4%
2009/2010 0%
2007/2008 0%
2005/2006 13%
2003/2004 21%
2001/2002 38%
1999/2000 8%
1997/1998 8%
1996 or Prior 8%
Total votes: 24
Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

2001-2002, NewGnr.com was my first home before moving to HTGTH.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

01 mygnr if not earlier
Then signed up to htgth because you had to make an account & thank people for posting bootlegs.. Which is partly how I ended up signin up for here also eventually.. I never really posted much on either of those msg boards, tbh I found them excruciating. I find you all less excruciating. Tolerable I suppose.

What was your user name back in yore?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Olorin wrote:

2001-2002, NewGnr.com was my first home before moving to HTGTH.

I used to post there a little bit. I found it to be one of the most fucked up boards I'd been on...what happened to that place? It seemed like at one time it may have been very busy? But then degraded down into this madhouse. I always felt dirty posting there.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Fizzled out like so many others after 06 came and went. Reminded me a bit of the site msl has today I guess. Haven't been there in years now.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

seeing the VMAs in 2002 is what brought me to the fan sites.    I was a fan in the early 90s, although quite young at that time.   

It was strange to see a brand new Guns N' Roses but I was very intrigued and the rest is history.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think I started posting around 2006 but I lurked for many years prior to that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

At that time(96-97) it was hard to imagine THAT specific lineup releasing a GNR album. It didn't compute. Take into account this was before the CD saga. That lineup got zero promotion. Other than fan sites listing GNR's members, nada. REally strange time to be a GNR fan.

Looking back, its obvious that the project was doomed from the start. 1998 had the infamous SPIN article that sorta kicked things off for new GNR and a year later we're getting Live Era. It was the initial bait and switch. Get us hungry for new material and hit us over the head with old GNR.

The whole saga was just bizarre start to finish. As much as I like certain members(Bucket, Finck, Stinson,etc.) I'm so glad its over.

Said it a bunch of times but all those unique GNR communities in the early-mid 00s deserved an album to discuss.

newgnr.com was definitely the ugly duckling of the group for lack of a better term. I never understood its appeal. Yeah I was a member(still am) but I joined just about every GNR forum. Some were killer, some flat out sucked, and all points in between. I'll never forget how everyone and their grandma had their own GNR forum in 2006 after the leaks. It was extreme overkill. The only reason ROV was able to survive that insanity and make a 'name' for itself was the community. Most of the members had already known each other for years on HTGTH and sp1at. It was a natural progression from the 2003-05 HTGTH community.

For those like Buzz not remembering where they came from....it was likely HTGTH. Like 90% of ROV's members were from there. I poached dozens of people I really liked and of course the censoring of leaks played a big role in attracting members. We were also the ONLY site to not censor MSL during that wave of 07 leaks which brought more attention. The other GNR sites and the GNR camp itself must have hated us for that. We're actually very lucky we weren't shut down.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Another thing is the saga coincided with the internet revolution. About when Slash left and the old band fell apart is when the internet started for real. In the early 00s it was still in its infancy. The users, or their parents, were people who were a little more current than the rest, and with the cost, probably mostly middle class and above. Dare I say there was more class and civility on the web in those times? 16

06 was when everyone and their grandma was getting it. It had become as common as having a phone. In terms of forum activity it was also the peak. Everyone coalesced on the forums, a great mixture of characters. But innocence was definitely lost. For years there had been scams, leaks, scandals. Cynicism was taking over. Jarmo turned his site into a police state, and the refugees started their own sites where they could, well, bitch and moan in peace.

Now the net comes with your phone. So widespread a segregation had to and has taken place. In some ways the forums are back to where they were, mostly populated by a sub set of people. It's not the same, you can't recapture the start of something, but at least the twitter crowd found their own homes.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I know I'm dating myself here, but I started out wayyyyy back when.  I originally posted on the AOL newsgroups, we're talking 94(ish?) at the latest.  I remember reading all the shitty websites (by todays standards) at the time, trying to glean any news I could.  There was a "WAR Bio page I used to always check, along with WADY, Lost Rose, MyGNR.  While at Jarmo's, it was either DTJ, Neemo, or Lofton that "recruited" me for here.

Board footer