You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 9/7/16 NISSAN STADIUM, NASHVILLE, TN UNITED STATES

Smoking Guns wrote:

I can't name one signature guitar moment for Richard. I agree. Great player, but has never written anything noteworthy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Nothing like pissing in the wind.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Why do we have to choose between Izzy and Fortus again?

Of course Izzy is the more accomplished / proven songwriter. Although (1) that doesn't mean he's good for GN'R in 2016 and whatever the band's / Axl's plans are musically (2) It doesn't mean he's good for the backstage Feng Shui. If he's going to create tension or clash with Axl, it doesn't make sense to have him on board.

The old lineup dissolved for a reason. Too many cooks in the kitchen, everyone grasping at power, etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

For the record, I'm not trying to fan flames in the Fortus vs Izzy debate. People who have known me for eons know I was never a big fan of the guy but he won me over this year. He fits in perfectly with the 2016 lineup.

I'm just not a fan of Izzy's accomplishments being downplayed as if it somehow makes Fortus better. Fortus delivers in his role as a touring member and will continue to do so.

I am in total agreement that if Izzy would bring tension/drama to the situation he isn't needed even though I'd give anything to hear GNR do Dust N Bones at some point. One of the reasons bringing in Adler was such a risk is the chance for drama.

I'm sure GNR are aware that fans would like to see an AFD shindig at some point. Doesn't mean its happening now, next year, or ever. The current lineup is getting great reviews, fans are over the moon about it, and I expect it to continue full throttle.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I don't understand this at all. Look at the songwriting quality of Izzy vs Fortus.
Why let loyalty dictate quality of product? Makes no sense to me..

Because other than a vague "maybe we'll get to it one day" there doesn't seem to be any direct plans for songwriting.

Seems the current plan is to do these USA dates then a massive world tour of the same.

Songwriting excluded, if the game is just rendering the old songs then fortus is the better player. Izzy doesn't have a distinctive rhythm sound - so it's not like how odd sounded replacing slash with Robin/DJ, or Axl with Myles. Basically anyone can play the backing chords. But fortus does it prettier with all the additional voicings he uses - and he can also trade leads with Slash better than Izzy can chops wise.

oh monkey, not you too..

it's izzy fuckin stradlin you're talking about here. wise the fuckin bap. who the fuck have you been listening to the last 30-odd goddamn years?
let me give you a clue, it's not richard fortus.
he does it prettier than izzy.. fuck me..

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nothing like pissing in the wind.

i would love to be like you mate. eat what was fed me & never ask for seconds. content as a pig in shit.
unfortunately i was born with a brain and the capacity for critical thought. it's a burden. count yourself lucky.

James

James wrote:

Come on now...no need for the insults. We know ID was born with a brain. The proof? He likes Buckethead. 13

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

oh monkey, not you too..

it's izzy fuckin stradlin you're talking about here. wise the fuckin bap. who the fuck have you been listening to the last 30-odd goddamn years?
let me give you a clue, it's not richard fortus.
he does it prettier than izzy.. fuck me..

Hahah...in fairness to me what i've been into in GNR is always the Axl and Slash parts - Axl's rasp and Slash's guitar solos (or later interest in Bucket/Bumble's shred etc). I'm not really fussed about the rhythm playing unless they're causing problems.

Eg: I'm not sold on Stevie in Ac/Dc as he has bad timing when compared to Malcom and it's noticeable listening back to it.

Seriously though fortus does play things prettily! Look at all the little things he does to make simple guitar parts more interestng:

I'll grant Izzy is a better writer than forus. But i've seen nothing indicating the band wants to write fresh, and if they do release anything, it's going to be more Paul Huge riffs with Slash overdubbed from Axl's hints.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I highly doubt that Izzy sign was ripped at Axl's request.

There ain't any bad blood there.

I am just going by what I see and really don't have anything to back it up.

But, to me Izzy is like a brother to Axl. From the same small Indiana town. Known each other since they were kids. Those bonds don't just go to shit land.

I love the Iz. The songwriting is paramount. He gives you that and the writing credits. Now touring? That's a big question mark. As the dude is uber cool and just does what he wants.

No harm in having him tour with the current line up as Axl had three guitarists before.

Anyhow, very cool if he was backstage. My pal told me the fact about Slash before not taking a picture with him, which kind of gave me a bad vibe about him, I'm over that now though.

James

James wrote:

I don't blame him for not wanting to take a pic. Celebs are people too. They don't always want to be "on".

It isn't Axl's fault that the Izzy sign was confiscated.

Board footer