You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: WTTJ: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses(2006)

James wrote:

Hardcore fans remember this in 2005-06 but it was never actually released. Now that we might be getting a new GH/Best of in the coming year, I was wondering how fans would feel if the tracklist was identical or at least similar to this one. Safe to assume there might be something from CD and a new song but that would require something being removed.

It left out many deep cuts I love but this is one of those situations where they cant possibly please all fans. Too many legitimate hits are required to be included although I do like how the DC demo would take the place of either UYI version. They also left out some actual singles.

The hardcore treats on this compilation were the Jungle demo and live versions of KOHD and Move to the City.

pic from MSL:

gnr.jpg

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

What a horrible list.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

A few thoughts of mine:

1. The problem with a 2-disc greatest hits set is the band has 4 full length albums and an EP to it's name. I guess because so many GNR songs are great you can release almost 50% of the entire discography as a greatest hits but it still seems a bit forced.

2. The next version of this we see will definitely have CD tracks included. I'd say the way they remain in the setlist post the reunion shows they're only going to be more important to the discography going forward rather than forgotten.

3. The demos and rare cuts are odd.  I understand the desire to put something new to fans on there.  I mean aside from the fun opening - shadow of your love was a B-side - does it really warrant a place on the greatest hits?  Stuff like that seems better suited to an AFD remaster special edition or something.

4. The going rumour i've seen on forums is this will come out later in the year with SOME NEW SONGS added. As in new unreleased songs. Interesting.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I did a high definition mockup of the original album cover design, which was done by Bau-Da Design in 2006 IIRC.

VeryBestOf-GunsNRoses.jpg

I'm personally not interested by Greatest Hits / VBO albums because I already own the whole discography but it's a solid track-list especially the one above without "Shadow of Your Love" or "Move To The City".

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Honestly, they should do a box-set with rarities, demos, unreleased live shows, and some new tracks added in. Toss in a t-shirt, poster, belt buckle, etc and you have yourself a great product. CDs aren't selling for shit, but give people something cool they can get their hands on, and it'll sell. People just don't value music anymore. You have to throw in something extra or what's the point? Anyone can just download anything they want.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

They need to release a new album 8 songs or just an EP fuck this Greatest Hits bullshit.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

They need to release a new album 8 songs or just an EP fuck this Greatest Hits bullshit.

Concur.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

I did a high definition mockup of the original album cover design, which was done by Bau-Da Design in 2006 IIRC.

http://wagszilla.com/images/VeryBestOf-GunsNRoses.jpg

I'm personally not interested by Greatest Hits / VBO albums because I already own the whole discography but it's a solid track-list especially the one above without "Shadow of Your Love" or "Move To The City".

Here's the original artwork:
PfbHnwM.jpg

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder if we'll have a more interesting track list this time around, you'd assume some CD tracks.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

If I were doing a Best Of, I'd go back to the concept of AFD: the first CD is "Guns", all the aggressive tracks, the second one is "Roses" – all the relationship/love song stuff. I'd stick the original versions of Better, TIL and TWAT on there, and include re-recordings with Slash and Duff as bonus tracks – plus maybe one new song (Atlas Shrugged?). That gives you a decent spread of "new" material to sell the thing to fans, and keeps the album feeling coherent.

Board footer