You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Your favorite GN'R side-project?

esoterica wrote:

This is my favorite excluding Buckethead or The Replacements.

https://youtu.be/IaRL5_6LbIU

I haven't listened to Tommy's solo stuff yet.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This is hard as I a lot of the GNR side projects, and some would consider CD as side project relative to the old band's catalogue even though it was released under the classic name.

Aside from CD which I'm a big fan of....

I like the First Snakepit record a lot - those songs would be straight up AFD2 if Axl had been involved. The guitar sounds are classic early slash.

Pretty fond of contraband too as although weiland can be repetitive and I missed Axl, but some of those songs are very GNR in their own way - such as 'Suckertrain Blues'.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

This is one of the best GNR related side-projects, if not the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRL5_6LbIU
Some mygner "experts " have nerves to say Pitman is a bad musician :facepalm.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

First snakepit half killer/half filler. LOved Believe In Me back when it was released. Played the shit out of that album.  Need to listen to Neurotic Outsiders again.

Of course Bucket projects are way up on my list.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

This is one of the best GNR related side-projects, if not the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRL5_6LbIU
Some mygner "experts " have nerves to say Pitman is a bad musician :facepalm.

That's what I posted. tongue

Sextapes is also underrated although not as good as Lusk.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This is hard as I a lot of the GNR side projects, and some would consider CD as side project relative to the old band's catalogue even though it was released under the classic name.

Aside from CD which I'm a big fan of....

I like the First Snakepit record a lot - those songs would be straight up AFD2 if Axl had been involved. The guitar sounds are classic early slash.

Pretty fond of contraband too as although weiland can be repetitive and I missed Axl, but some of those songs are very GNR in their own way - such as 'Suckertrain Blues'.

This. Although like James, I have a soft spot for Believe in Me as well. And if you consider what all of those albums have in common, it is that they sound the closest to classic AFD/UYI GNR.

I don't care at all for Lusk, the Replacements, any of Bumblefoot's solo stuff or any of Izzy's work. I do like some of the buckethead material, but there's so much chaff that it's hard to find the wheat. I love things like Nottingham Lace, Soothsayer, Jordan and Siege Engine though, the 'hits' if you will.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Neurotic Outsiders and Village Gorilla Head

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I listened to Tommy's "One Man Mutiny" record last night.

I got an easy listening, drive and cruise vibe from it. A heavy Stones influence throughout. It was certainly competently done but it didn't grab me.

I also listened to Slash's Snakepit "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere". I found it to be awful.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I also listened to Slash's Snakepit "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere". I found it to be awful.

It's a polarising record because a lot of people are off put by Eric Dover's vocals and Lyrics.

Have a listen to those guitar parts though. With Axl songs like Dime Store Rock, Soma City Ward and others would have been very much like GNR's rockers.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Have a listen to those guitar parts though. With Axl songs like Dime Store Rock, Soma City Ward and others would have been very much like GNR's rockers.

I will maybe listen to it again a long time from now but I really didn't like it.

Both the vocals and guitars are assaulting you and not in a good way.

I didn't care for the style. Felt like Slash doing Metallica, Skynyrd, and Alice In Chains.

Board footer