You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: On this day in 1988...

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I seriously don't get Night rain. It's all a matter of taste, but it's one of the more pedestrian songs on the album. The live version is a whole other beast.

For me it's not pedestrian on the album but there's no doubt the live version is better - the way axl screams out those "I guess I'll never fucking learn" type lines, and Slash's solo tends to be the same but a little more intense.

I find this with a lot of GNR though.

It's like Slash uses the record as a blue print then plays it better live, and the little changes Axl makes often really add to the songs like the Jungle Screams and so on.

Your favorite song from Appetite for Destruction

Welcome to the Jungle 14%
It's So Easy 14%
Nightrain 26%
Out Ta Get Me 0%
Mr. Brownstone 6%
Paradise City 6%
My Michelle 0%
Think About You 0%
Sweet Child O Mine 17%
You're Crazy 0%
Anything Goes 0%
Rocket Queen 17%
Total votes: 35
polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Jungle from Live Era is the greatest thing ever.

Album version though I go with Rocket Queen (LE version is also great). Has everything you look for in a GN'R song. Heavy, badass, melodic and maybe a little psychedelic.

johndivney wrote:

Nightrain.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

polluxlm wrote:

Album version though I go with Rocket Queen (LE version is also great). Has everything you look for in a GN'R song. Heavy, badass, melodic and maybe a little psychedelic.

Always found Jungle on Live Era a bit flat and hollow myself. For me the consistently best versions of Jungle were in 06, it blew the roof off every night. Although I still think THE single best version of Jungle is 88 VMA's.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like the screams from 2006 but you need a slash version for the guitars.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

AFD is a great record and deserving of it's reputation but it's never connected with me as much as the Illusions material.

The songwriting is occasionally lucid and other times completely on the nose. I think critics and those coming to it with fresher ears could say that it's outdated, cliche, and cheesy. It's the sort of record art rock fans and other progressos could easily point to when dismissing classic rock as a whole.

I enjoy it but also hope that this tour is essentially the AFD retirement tour and Axl gets to releasing more music as soon as possible.

As far as Nightrain, I've never been much of a fan, outside of the insanely perfect Rock Am Ring performance in 2006.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Surprisingly, I find UYIs more dated and inconsistent than AFD. I know I `m in the minority ( not that I care ) but I think CD is the second best right after AFD which is the best Guns` album in terms of consistency and production. UYIs and CD contain far superior songs but Appetite tracks flow much better, tracklisting is far superior to those of Illusions and Chinese.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Always found Jungle on Live Era a bit flat and hollow myself. For me the consistently best versions of Jungle were in 06, it blew the roof off every night. Although I still think THE single best version of Jungle is 88 VMA's.

Maybe? Haven't noticed that myself, but then again that's the only version I've heard for the last 10 years, so hard to make comparisons off the top of my head.

What I dig about it is the Axl intro and the scrappy quality. Flows great, incredible power. My favorite intro to a song ever I think. And in the second or third verse you can hear Axl struggling with the lyrics, but not enough to take away from the song. Just leaves you with a raw, authentic feel, total badass. The video they made for the LE release is also really cool.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Surprisingly, I find UYIs more dated and inconsistent than AFD.

What do you mean by dated?

I would agree that both UYI and CD are far more inconsistent than Appetite. The strength of AFD is that it was five guys working in sync and that resulted in a great, cohesive record. It's also all firmly couched in the mid-1980s. The overt misogyny, verse-chorus-verse-set piece guitar solo structure, general excess, and so forth.

I think that UYI and CD have aged more gracefully partly because of Axl's growth as an artist but also because of a greater variety of musical textures.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Jungle

Still the best, most straight-forward, instantly-accessible, band-defining song they ever wrote.

And still is

They could play the fuck out of that tune in 2016, and go home, and everyone would feel like their teeth got knocked down their throat.

Board footer