You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: New GNR Airplane

FlashFlood wrote:

Sorum love is something I will never, ever understand.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Nostalgia, likely.

You want the optimum drummer for this current lineup, that'd be a sober and dependable Adler. He brings in the groove and fits into the rhythm section like a glove. Frank is better than Brain on the old songs, Brain is prolly the best with CD songs. Sorum's claim to fame is the UYI stuff, but Adler would likely leave him in the dust and Frank does a serviceable job on them, anyway.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's about the sound to me not nostalgia.

Each of the drummers has a unique style - as I said in a perfect world Adler would do AFD, Sorum the UYI stuff and Frank for CD - although I'll grant Brain for CD would probably be even closer - but I didn't consider him available for it although I guess he might be.

Anyway the thing for me is those Matt parts on the UYI stuff are quite distinctive of his style (same with in VR) and it's noticeable when someone does it a bit differently. It's a bit like saying the only reason to prefer Slash over DJ would be nostalgia - although admittedly much more subtle with the drums.

As for the stuff about him being a bad guy, well I've not met him, but I know he does a ton of charity work and has maintained pro music relationships with a host of people - see Kings of Chaos, Hollywood Vampires etc. Maybe he is but I doubt it.

To be honest I find it really bizarre how out of all the suspicious characters in and around GNR Matt is the guy singled out by the fanbase as a bad person. Like really? Matt? That's who you think is questionable in this whole saga??? 5

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They aren't missing anything with Sorum or Adler, IMO.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

It would seem more "authentic" to hardcore fans I suppose but the casuals don't give a shit. They could put me on drums(I cant play drums) and nobody but you guys would complain. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Sorum love is something I will never, ever understand.

You and Bri both....

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

You said the same shit when Slash wasn't in the band lol.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Three drummers on one show ? is GNR a marching band ? it would be ridiculous to replace drummers on every song.

Matt is an arrogant dickweed, he has a huge ego for a drummer. If you have seen VR documentary, you will draw the same conclusion.

Axl fired him without a second thought. what makes anyone think he`s willing to bring Scrotum back. Frank has less ego and is way cheaper, perfect choice from business point of view.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Matt is an arrogant dickweed, he has a huge ego for a drummer. If you have seen VR documentary, you will draw the same conclusion.

Thing is that was the right call....the GNR guys were light years above the people auditioning with them...and scott was the only dude out of that bunch of singers who could take the band where it went. The GNR/STP supergroup angle won them a ton of media attention that translated in the end into millions of record sales and also grammies and critical acclaim.

He was blunt about it - but he also wasn't wrong.

I also find it absurd that this example is always trotted out as proof that matt is an asshole when it's one incident, and the whole of his pro career and charity work say otherwise.

I mean how many filmed examples are there of Axl having bad days are there? None of that counts to anyone but because  on a doco after months of frustration, Matt seemed to be being a bit of a dick on ONE DAY during a jam session?

Ragnar wrote:

Axl fired him without a second thought. what makes anyone think he`s willing to bring Scrotum back. Frank has less ego and is way cheaper, perfect choice from business point of view.

If Axl can make friends with Slash again I think he can make friends with Sorum. Besides Axl is notorious for getting angry and going on firing rampages then changing his mind.

As for frank...yeah it makes business sense...if the priority is money....which it seems to be.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

The thing is now the drumming is just adequate rather than good.

You don't listen to it and think "great drumming" - it's just there. It's not bad either...just neutral.

Board footer