You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 14 - Prostitute

Vale wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I wonder why they changed the name of The Blues. Street of Dreams sound so cheesy in comparison.

I couldn't agree more

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'll do a write-up on "Prostitute" when the mood strikes. I really like the song. Great closer.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm still convinced this is real.

It is, from the record company side of things.

polluxlm wrote:

I wonder why they changed the name of The Blues. Street of Dreams sound so cheesy in comparison.

As a refresher:

Axl Rose wrote:

The Blues was my first working title and I was never comfortable with it in the sense that I felt that should be used with a bluesier based song. And here in Hollywood with the walk of fame etc I had always seen that imagery in my head when I think of it. I also like the idea of the song having in affect two titles.

I understand that "stardust on my feet" are lyrics to the song but given the working title "Stardust" I wondered if this had some significance to the Stardust Ballroom in Hollywood and possibly if it was about or inspired at all by Monique which was a similar time period.

W Axl Rose 1995
 Rep: 0 

Every time I see dis song I think of my ex. Fuckin bitch

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Prostitute was mentioned by Youth, Sean Beavan, Paul Buckmaster and Merck as one of their favourite tracks. There are lots of ways at looking at this though. It could be a track that was worked on the most. If you work of one track more than another, it becomes more familiar. It may have been favoured by Axl which then bends the opinions of those who work around him. What was the pool of completed tracks that were around at the time for these people. Buckmaster only had four tracks. There are lots of angles to look at this from.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I remember people thinking Oklahoma was Riad many moons ago. Wasn't Ides of March  first mentioned in 05 as well as Atlas Shrugged, Zodiac,etc.? That Spat article gave us quite a bit of info. I still say quick song is CD. Description fit it to a tee. Well, what CD sounded like back then anyways.

Atari- I think that's fake. Looks fake but considering how the album was rolled out anything is possible.

Skydog - Axl/label deciding on a tracklist doesn't mean there was some grand vision in the home stretch. Just means there's enough material for two albums. A far cry from his statements 13 years ago. Something went wrong at some point. IMO he just got sick of it for some reason.

I just wish he'd hurry it up. I think time is running out on this thing.

I think Ides of March was a riff written by Dizzy that was worked on. Dizzy didn't seem to know later on if the song had been retained or not, but Axl's interviews confirmed it's continued existence.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Prostitute was mentioned by Youth, Sean Beavan, Paul Buckmaster and Merck as one of their favourite tracks. There are lots of ways at looking at this though. It could be a track that was worked on the most. If you work of one track more than another, it becomes more familiar. It may have been favoured by Axl which then bends the opinions of those who work around him. What was the pool of completed tracks that were around at the time for these people. Buckmaster only had four tracks. There are lots of angles to look at this from.

If you look at the saga holistically, I think those comments make a lot of sense.

It's the best singular piece of music from the 1997-1999 era, it contains all of your Guns N' Roses hallmarks, and Axl actually makes an effort with a diverse vocal take. It's no surprise that it garnered such positive reviews.

The other material is respectable. It maintains a consistent level of quality and avoids the high peaks and low valleys of the Illusions records, but it is never transcendent. The now much loved "There Was A Time" remained a mid-carder until it had received a dash of Colonel Sanders' secret spices. It's unclear if Beavan was present for those proceedings but I think it's clear that each successive version of the song only became more convoluted, i.e. the near incomprehensible chorus.

Yet, "Prostitute" manages to fire on all cylinders, a perfect balance of old and new Guns N' Roses sound, and comes across as effortless. A perfect closer to your 2000 Intentions album.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Good on paper ruined in studio. It`s comical how Axl did n`t even bother to record new vocal track and used 99 take. The way he botched word " Prostitute" is cringe-inducing as well.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The now much loved "There Was A Time" remained a mid-carder until it had received a dash of Colonel Sanders' secret spices. It's unclear if Beavan was present for those proceedings but I think it's clear that each successive version of the song only became more convoluted, i.e. the near incomprehensible chorus.

The timeline's a pretty tricky. After Robin left in August '99, there was a bit of a flux. On hindsight, Axl seemed a bit flustered that his Randy Rhodes skipped town. Recording of CD was done, Axl had been focusing on Live Era (mainly his vocals), to appease Geffen. For Robin, the likeliest reason to rejoin NIN was that he was out of the Guns loop.

Dave Navarro comes in, records the OMG solo. Lukewarm reception, Axl backpedals.

Brian May comes in, works on Catcher, Atlas and a third track. Axl's said these sessions were with Sean Beavan.

"[Axl] was talking to Roy Thomas Baker, who was doing some production for them at the time, and they came up with the idea of contacting me to help them work out a direction." (Brian May, Uncut Magazine, 04/11)

Fortus is in line to attend jam sessions before the year is out. Stevie Salas manages to get in for a pass.

Axl hears Buckethead, gets in touch via Josh Freese, and invites Bucket to his house for Christmas '99.

By the looks of it, the quest for a new guitar player was pretty frantic and they lucked out immensely by getting Bucket.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" seems to have influenced Better, Madagascar, and Prostitute with the hip-hop groove and heavy sampling.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" seems to have influenced Better, Madagascar, and Prostitute with the hip-hop groove and heavy sampling.

[/embed]

you know, the hip-hop style drum beats are actually some of my favorite parts of the entire album. it's crazy, especially when you go back and listen to the drumming on any of the other gnr records. it's a completely different style, but it works wonders on those songs. hell, i even love the drums in the intro of irs.

Board footer