You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So what pressure?

The tiny dictator that lives inside Axl's head saying "not good enough".

Good point.

Although that does make me hopeful he could conquer it.

I mean a few years back Axl was saying he'd never work with Slash again other than by ambush and then it wouldn't be pretty.

Imagine if he gets over the fear of writing and releasing or whatever he has. It would be great!

One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

Yes 28%
No 72%
Total votes: 25
esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Axl's ability is fine. He just needs an editor and a project manager. Whether he'd agree to that scenario...

I personally doubt new music will happen.

AtariLegend wrote:

I just want to hear the rest of that "Checkmate" demo then I'll be happy. Not sure if I'm going to be able see the band this year.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl died on his Chinese Democracy cross. That's the reason.

This.

He also painted himself into a very small corner with the constant negativity about Slash during the CD years. There was no way to bring him back into the fold even if he wanted to.

I personally doubt new music will happen.

Possible but unlikely. Best thing to hope for is a compilation/box set that includes some unheard tracks.

Even if we get a "new" album, it wont be their King Animal comeback. It'll be old songs with a Slash solo/Duff bass line pasted in.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

He also painted himself into a very small corner with the constant negativity about Slash during the CD years. There was no way to bring him back into the fold even if he wanted to.

I think CD failed largely because Axl treated his fans like irrelevant serfs.

His Slash negativity only seemed to come to the surface as he tried another self-resurrection post-album failure.

James Lofton wrote:

Possible but unlikely. Best thing to hope for is a compilation/box set that includes some unheard tracks.

a6AY7qYesgUYo.gif

Does Axl look like the box set sort of guy? big_smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

No.....but his record company does. They are going to want to capitalize on this reunion at some point. I still cant believe they didn't throw something in stores last December.

His Slash negativity only seemed to come to the surface as he tried another self-resurrection post-album failure.

I was referring to the lead up to the album's release. The focus on Slash during 2006-08 made me cringe. Him and his minions wouldn't think about anything else.

The post album stuff also gives douche chills...

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I remember him stopping a show mid-song in 2006 and putting emphasis on the Robin song thing but I guess I don't remember much that year.

1999 fairly openly critical, 2002 in his ass, 2009 cancer. Critical ass cancer.

A breach of contract to release unmixed leftovers with Axl's ever looming legal arm doesn't surprise. I am surprised we didn't hear some sort of gossip at least.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Chinese Democracy sold at least 5 million units, Yeah, it was a failure whatever....

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Chinese Democracy sold at least 5 million units, Yeah, it was a failure whatever....

It didn't make money, the brand value continued to sink, the band who recorded it broke up, and most fans hated it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Most fans hated it? Not sure I agree with that.

When you say "fans" are you saying people who liked Guns in the 80s/early 90s, moved on like the rest of the world, and didn't even know Axl was doing his own thing? People like that already had their mind made up regardless of what the album sounded like (same with the HTGTH forum junkies, but vice versa).

The overall sentiment, I would say almost universally, is "It's a pretty good album but didn't live up to the wait. Oh and it's overproduced."

It certainly didn't make the label any money as you said, but the brand value sank not because of Chinese Democracy, but a combination of a revolving cast of musicians, going on stage late, cancelling shows/tours, and an often times apathetic frontman.

Board footer