You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

Axl S wrote:

I'm feeling shellshocked by this. Thoughts with his family. This is awful.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Death was ruled a suicide. This hit me harder than I imagined.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Death was ruled as suicide. This hit me harder than I imagined.

It still feels hard to believe. He had everything... But it seems he struggled with depression when he was young. Maybe his depression had returned.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Absolutely devastating. I am floored. I had an amazing day yesterday going to my first amusement park in eons(wore my Soundgarden Louder than Love shirt BTW), got home late last night and woke up to this news.

I don't even really know what to say. Cornell's music had a huge impact on me. It got me through some hellacious rough times and I still listen to them on an almost daily basis. While I consider Axl/GNR to be my favorite band, that's mainly due to becoming a fan so young in life. I rarely listen to GNR anymore.

Cobain was not really the voice of Gen-X. The media just portrayed him as such. If one person could be defined in that role, it was Cornell. His once in a lifetime voice had amazing lyrics to go with it. While his death is certainly shocking, when you get down to brass tacks, suicide not a huge stretch of the imagination. Anyone writing songs like Mailman, Fresh Tendrils, Blow Up the Outside World, etc. is coming from a dark place.

We don't know enough information and difficult to speculate but I'm going out on a limb and IMO he was pressured into this tour and may have been having some difficulties in his marriage. This probably brought back the terrible memories of the shit he waded through with Susan Silver and it sent him over the edge.

He has young children. Unfortunate that he wasn't able to overcome his demons for their sake.

He had at least 20 more years left in him....much of that likely as a solo artist. The world will never know what it truly lost. So much more potential....gone.

Hardcore fans must ask the million dollar question....

How much unreleased music is in the Soundgarden vault? He stated a few weeks ago that even though the rumors said otherwise, they had not started recording the new album that was expected this year. This is why I think the tour was thrown together quickly to appease the other guys. These guys weren't new GNR....they don't tour unless they have something out there....whether its new album, box sets, etc. We know that there is some really old songs in the vault from what Kim said after the reunion but god only knows what else. There's also supposed to be enough covers for an album. We'll see. I have no idea about Audioslave as I didn't follow them as closely.

His solo material a whole different beast. We all know he was prolific. There is going to be a ton to work with. For his sake and the sake of his legacy, I hope they don't unload everything just to make money. Quality control needs to be the name of the game when dealing with his vault.

I hope that people of our generation who didn't like them as much(I'm looking at you neemo, D, and polluxlm) give them another chance. Don't just check out the hits. Dive in because the deep cuts is where the meat of his material resides.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the radio this morning. I was a big Audioslave fan when they first came out and I had just recently gotten into more Soundgarden after some of James suggestions. Sad day for rock and roll. Sad day for music in general.

James

James wrote:

He could've made a career out of doing nothing but touring covers. That voice can just take on any song.

I was blown away when I heard this.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've come to appreciate his work alot more in recent years thanks to James and a couple other friends I know that are big fans

Heard a cover he did of Bob Marley Redemption Song today ... was really cool . Was either on Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmell

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

From one hardcore fan to another, great post James.

Still really shocked by this. Been on my mind since I heard the news. Really feel for his kids and wife. What a dark and horrific place he must have been in - watching clips of the show hours before his death is hard and it is clear something is off with him.

I agree, there was a darkness to his music - Superunknown being the zenith of that. But so much beauty in that darkness- the lyrics and the tone and timbre of that incredible voice.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I can't shake the thought that he must have decided before that gig and wonder what he was thinking during it. A macabre thought I know - they reckon a lot who do it, decide well in advance and often go about functioning in their daily lives....

James

James wrote:

He definitely knew. He played In My Time of Dying as the last song he would ever sing.

The whole tour is odd actually. It just hits various spots in the country and ignores big chunks of it(including my area). His last interview about a potential album was not positive....and he's usually positive on that front.

he may have already knew they were never doing another one and another frightening moment with hindsight is the Audioslave reunion one off show earlier this year. He was probably already contemplating suicide and wanted to do one more show with those guys.

he offed himself in a hotel room in Detroit of all places hours after a gig......definitely in a dark place. Now I'm wondering if Detroit had any special meaning to him although I don't recall any big moments SG-wise happening there. Location might be a bit random but if he knew in advance he was doing it, it does hold some meaning....even if no one ever finds out what it was.

Board footer