You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

.I remember him all the way back when he was involved with Wrestlemania in the late 1980s.

I was talking to my uncle about that very thing awhile back. We watched WM4 and 5 on PPV back then and Trump played a big role in that. We'd never have thought back then while watching them that he'd be our president when we were in our 40s.

People who grew up in the 50s watching Bedtime for Bonzo probably thought similar in the 80s.

It is strange. I bet they did feel the same way about Reagan. I guess there's a long history of celebrity worship in this country. I think Doc Brown said it best...

1955 Doc Brown doesn't believe Marty when Marty tells him that Ronald Reagan is president. Doc initially balks at the idea and thinks Marty is out of his mind. After Marty can prove it...Doc Brown says something to the effect, "No wonder your president in 1985 has to be an actor...everyone in 1985 has to look good on TV."

Looking good can mean a lot of things I guess...In the Donald's case....it means being rich and parading around his beautiful wives. Anyone ever wonder why he needs to find mail order brides, anyway? ....Ah...I digress...

They say it's how Nixon lost to Kennedy in the early 1960s. Kennedy looked good on TV and Nixon looked like Paul Bearer (let's keep the wrestling references going shall we?)"

images;_ylt=A0LEVzu8j2lZiPMAGitXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=Richard+Nixon+1961&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=22&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.dailykos.com%2Fimages%2F269381%2Flarge%2Frichard-nixon-debate_(1).jpg%3F1467402680&action=click

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Paul Bearer, lol

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

The Russia scandal has entered a new phase, and there’s no going back.

For six months, the White House claimed that this scandal was nothing more than innuendo about Trump campaign collusion with Russia in meddling in the 2016 election. Innuendo for which no concrete evidence had been produced.

Yes, there were several meetings with Russian officials, some only belatedly disclosed. But that is circumstantial evidence at best. Meetings tell you nothing unless you know what happened in them. We didn’t. Some of these were casual encounters in large groups, like the famous July 2016 Kislyak-Sessions exchange of pleasantries at the Republican National Convention. Big deal.

I was puzzled. Lots of coverup, but where was the crime? Not even a third-rate burglary. For six months, smoke without fire. Yes, President Trump himself was acting very defensively, as if he were hiding something. But no one ever produced the something.

My view was: Collusion? I just don’t see it. But I’m open to empirical evidence. Show me.

The evidence is now shown. This is not hearsay, not fake news, not unsourced leaks. This is an email chain released by Donald Trump Jr. himself. A British go-between writes that there’s a Russian government effort to help Trump Sr. win the election, and as part of that effort he proposes a meeting with a “Russian government attorney” possessing damaging information on Hillary Clinton. Moreover, the Kremlin is willing to share troves of incriminating documents from the Crown Prosecutor. (Error: Britain has a Crown Prosecutor. Russia has a Prosecutor General.)

Donald Jr. emails back. “I love it.” Fatal words.

Once you’ve said “I’m in,” it makes no difference that the meeting was a bust, that the intermediary brought no such goods. What matters is what Donald Jr. thought going into the meeting, as well as Jared Kushner and then-campaign manager Paul Manafort, who were forwarded the correspondence, invited to the meeting, and attended.

“It was literally just a wasted 20 minutes, which was a shame,” Donald Jr. told Sean Hannity. A shame? On the contrary, a stroke of luck. Had the lawyer real stuff to deliver, Donald Jr. and the others would be in far deeper legal trouble. It turned out to be incompetent collusion, amateur collusion, comically failed collusion. That does not erase the fact that three top Trump campaign officials were ready to play.

It may turn out that they did later collaborate more fruitfully. We don’t know. But even if nothing else is found, the evidence is damning.

It’s rather pathetic to hear Trump apologists protesting that it’s no big deal because we Americans are always intervening in other people’s elections, and they in ours.

This defense is pathetic for two reasons. First, have the Trumpites not been telling us for six months that no collusion ever happened? And now they say: Sure it happened. So what? Everyone does it.

What’s left of your credibility when you make such a casual about-face?

Second, no, not everyone does it. It’s one thing to be open to opposition research dug up in Indiana. But not dirt from Russia, a hostile foreign power that has repeatedly invaded its neighbors (Georgia, Crimea, eastern Ukraine), that buzzes our planes and ships in international waters, that opposes our every move and objective around the globe. Just last week the Kremlin killed additional U.N. sanctions we were looking to impose on North Korea for its ICBM test.

There is no statute against helping a foreign hostile power meddle in an American election. What Donald Jr. — and Kushner and Manafort — did may not be criminal. But it is not merely stupid. It is also deeply wrong, a fundamental violation of any code of civic honor.

I leave it to the lawyers to adjudicate the legalities of unconsummated collusion. But you don’t need a lawyer to see that the Trump defense — collusion as a desperate Democratic fiction designed to explain away a lost election — is now officially dead.

-Charles Krauthammer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … 948aa102a9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll withdraw from the thread

I'll admit this thread gets a bit too heated and personal some times. The history between some of the members goes back almost 20 years.

Its also not easy to moderate it. Everyone in this discussion knows there's zero chance I'd ever ban em so the gloves seem to stay off.

Stuff like Junk Yard Dog getting Lynched, Roddy Piper fighting in blackface, the commentators views on Adorable Adrian Adonis and what he may or may not be.....and how it's sick and wrong....

I need to watch that JYD angle again. It was Mid-South wasn't it?

If Piper did that nowadays it would cause all the SJWs to riot. While it was over the top, I love how the world didn't go overboard in the good old days. I've seen things on tons of shows back then(Sanford & Son, All in the Family, etc.) that would never be allowed today.

Back then people didn't know you were supposed to pretend being offended at every little thing. They just enjoyed shows for what they were.

They say it's how Nixon lost to Kennedy in the early 1960s. Kennedy looked good on TV and Nixon looked like Paul Bearer (let's keep the wrestling references going shall we?)"

Yep. people who heard the debate on the radio believed Nixon won but those who watched it on TV said Kennedy wiped the floor with him.

Sad the world never got a Kennedy-Goldwater debate. That would've been one for the ages.

It’s rather pathetic to hear Trump apologists protesting that it’s no big deal because we Americans are always intervening in other people’s elections, and they in ours.

I'm not a "Trump apologist" but I do agree with that in spirit. Hell, Hillary was caught on tape advocating the US rig the Palestinian election. We meddle in most elections. Its what we do. We've been doing it for decades. Is it really a surprise that other countries want to interfere in ours?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

McConnell has been a complete embarrassment managing the Senate. If he had balls, he could have broken ranks and tried to broker a deal with Schumer and work to find the moderates. Let Warren and Paul bluster. I hope he offers an olive branch to Schumer. I want someone to lead.

If Congress doesn't start working together, we're fucked. Everybody needs to give up some territory. Trump sure as shit isn't going to unite anyone. He's as toxic as ever.

Trump could turn face and offer to work with the Dems as a "fuck you" to the GOP. Though I don't think they'd accept it. If he was the deal maker he thought he was, he'd have Pelosi, Ryan, Schumer and McConnell in his office brokering a deal. But we're back to bickering and blaming the other side.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We are going to single payer and insurance, doctors, and hospitals and pharma is going to lose their shit when they can't exploit the consumer any more and the govt starts fucking them.

Can I just donate $500 per year to the poors and let my rate be what the Fuck it should be?  And the cock suckers that don't pay taxes get $500 less back in taxes or $500 less in food stamps or well fare. Everyone put up $500 and that will create approx $165,000,000 to cover the poors and shortfalls and then fix this pharma and hospital and doctor collusion where they all fuck us hard.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

McConnell has been a complete embarrassment managing the Senate. If he had balls, he could have broken ranks and tried to broker a deal with Schumer and work to find the moderates. Let Warren and Paul bluster. I hope he offers an olive branch to Schumer. I want someone to lead.

If Congress doesn't start working together, we're fucked. Everybody needs to give up some territory. Trump sure as shit isn't going to unite anyone. He's as toxic as ever.

Trump could turn face and offer to work with the Dems as a "fuck you" to the GOP. Though I don't think they'd accept it. If he was the deal maker he thought he was, he'd have Pelosi, Ryan, Schumer and McConnell in his office brokering a deal. But we're back to bickering and blaming the other side.

Back to? When did it stop?

Democrats are not in a forgiving mood.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I honestly thought McConnell would throw the right wing a bone and act like he was going to push through their bill, intentionally let it fail, while having secret meetings with Schumer to get something passed. That doesn't look like what's happening.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

And Trump isn't exactly making it easy to get bipartisan help. Neither has Ryan, tbh.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

PSA.

How many of my married men friends out there can sit down to a wonderful dinner with their wives...

And then in the sobremesa...then talk of healthcare. And in that talk their wives tell them through tears:

"I was there at the hospital in Madison...waiting. Waiting. They treated me like an idiot. And all they wanted to know is what i did or didn't do. My son was born without bile ducts what could I do or not do with that?"

Indeed. My wife is a compelling witness. Her tears are her sincerity.

Why is medicine this way? We have the best medical system in the world?

Then why is Sue traumatized by an experience she had in 1994 in Madison Wisconsin at a purportedly excellent hospital?

And then she went on: "I stayed down there day after day, week after week--sleeping in a chair...and I'd see other poor children there--the "cleft palate" children and no parents---the mentally challenged children--no parents....nobody cared about these children..and the doctors didn't either. I just remember being yelled at because I wasn't a sufficient mom.... I hate doctors. I hate them...."

And she went on: "I wasn't a sufficient mom?" What the fuck did they know!!!"

(My wife is a lion--i love her).

Do you know that at the beginning of it all Bill was set to die. So Sue had to go through that. Your little cherubic newborn that you're so attached to is going to die--he has no bile ducts.

But then an actually good doctor came up with a quick-fix. He put a spigot into bill's liver in the area where bile collects. And so bill had a little faucet coming out of his abdominal area.

And the idea was Sue would keep a spoon under that faucet and take the bile out and then feed it to her newborn in his mouth.

This was ingenious in that it kept the boy alive---but put yourself there. Put yourself in that position of a mother holding your little baby with a spoon in your hand and collecting bile and then feeding it back through his mouth so it gets to his stomach to process all that milkfat... And you have another 3 year old that needs taking care of (Joe--Bill's older borther).

Sue and I talked about some of this history tonight---and that's when I knew I just had to pull out Sgt. Peppers... and when that started spinning things got light again.

But it's never light for long when you live paycheck to paycheck, when you're a mom..when your children are on the brink of life and death. Any society that leaves its citizens---especially tax paying law abiding, fucking rocking the shit out hardworking citizens like that--is a failed society.

But fuck it right? Frack. Drill. Leave Corporations alone.

THIS IS AN EXCERPT WRITTEN BY MY STEP FATHER - ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD - MY BROTHER BEING THE ILL CHILD.

RF...NOT CONVINCED BY THE EMOTIONAL APPEAL?

Board footer