You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Chris Pitman suing Axl Rose for unpaid 2011 wages

esoterica wrote:
Axl, China Exchange wrote:

Audience: Hi Axl, thanks for being with us today. One question I have is for the future is there any subject you haven't touched on in your lyrics and in your music  that you would like to expressed toward [????] be it emotional or justice or something of the sort?

Axl: I haven't really given that any thought. I mean, I think that it is all kind of like right in the back of your head about how you're gonna to attack the next songs and stuff so part of me feels like I'm happy I didn't write things a year ago to something because… I feel like when I go at it now will be stronger.

So we have CD, CD II, CD III, and material recorded with Pitman in 2014.

James Lofton wrote:

He'll never have more focus on GNR than right now.

I think this is a bit of a misnomer.

Label negotiations, artwork, promotional strategy, etc. all take a lot of time and attention to get done right.

James Lofton wrote:

Are they really gonna head into 2018 with no release of any kind?

Yes, easily.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah I realize the label is a HUGE factor in all this. They ruined CD. Do they even care about CD II? Happy to cash in on the discog now and maybe a new GH as a bonus down the line(2018)?

Its not easy to gauge their interest in a GNR that's on pop culture's map. Last year had more attention on GNR than we've seen since 1992.

It doesn't appear that the label handled it very well.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

"Aging act" + "Rock act" + "No producer" probably aren't variables the computers running the music industry are very interested in.

Axl hinted at legal complexity previously. Why was that? Departed band members? Slash and Duff? Sanctuary folding? The laundry list of staff? All of the above?

I won't be surprised if it's 2020 and there's no mention of a new album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Well, Ax and Pitman settled the suit.

"Pitman was owed $125,000 for more than a year's worth of work... Axl cried poverty back in 2011 -- and promised to pay Chris Pitman for services rendered ... down the road when he was more flush ... according to the docs. In the suit, he says that amount was supposed to be paid by Oct. 2012."

If Pitman's monthly pay was still around $7k, the debt would've suggested a year and a half of work. They could've agreed to a year-long IOU, meaning the deal was struck around Oct. 2011, before the tour. Pitman's engineering work may have begun in 2009, given the amount of touring in between.

"Another person who’s partied with Rose [in Feb 2010] says he’s working on a new album after last year’s disappointing “Chinese Democracy” — the first Guns N’ Roses studio album in 15 years — and has something to prove."

"We have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That’s already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That’s been done for a while, too." - Axl, 2014

It all points to Axl and Pitman messing about with the CD2 songs in between tour legs around 2009-11. This was when virtually every other band member talked about writing songs and working on stuff. In late 2014, Axl seemed to take on newer material, recording vocals (according to Fortus) and co-tweeting from the studio w/ Pitman.

Therefore, we could make a case that Slash killed CD2. 16

I say Slash saved CD II from Ashba and Ron. 13

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

we know that they "have" the material, that's not a problem.
the problem is, they don't "release" it.
until then, It Doesn't Really Matter who plays what on the material, as they Leave That Thing called releasing stuff To Somebody Else wink

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Expect ACDC and side projects once the tour has finished. Nothing new being released anytime soon

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

sometimes, i wish i was equally invested in a band like radiohead or something.

being a gnr fan is like being a hot tar roofer, but making minimum wage.

where's all the hoarders at in 2017? surely, their material is worth zilch these days. why continue to hold onto what's worth virtually nothing?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I'm certainly not even remotely convinced there is the amount of "vault" material we think there is. Maybe there is an album worth of song structures, but why should anyone believe there are finished tracks with vocals out there.

And especially with this band, I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, why would Slash want to record on and release songs written by Robin, Pitman, Tobias, et al? There is a far better chance they take a minimum of 4 years and record brand new material with NITL lineup.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I'm certainly not even remotely convinced there is the amount of "vault" material we think there is.

Axl said there were 26 songs that were nearly done and 32 songs they were working on in 2006.

If you're conservative, that's at least one completed album.

"Same bat time, same bat channel" isn't indicative of 'oh shit, we have a fuck load of recording to get done'.

The baby was ready to be delivered.

FlashFlood wrote:

Maybe there is an album worth of song structures, but why should anyone believe there are finished tracks with vocals out there.

If anything, I'd wager there's 2 finished albums of material and a shit load of remixes, band jams, and song sketches in the vault. But we know of 5 songs with vocals at a minimum.

FlashFlood wrote:

And especially with this band, I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, why would Slash want to record on and release songs written by Robin, Pitman, Tobias, et al? There is a far better chance they take a minimum of 4 years and record brand new material with NITL lineup.

Guns N' Roses is Axl's band, plain and simple.

Axl's vision was to release a trilogy of album and extra stuff. He wanted to "take things further".

So really it comes down to if Axl has changed his mind about the Guns N' Roses brand and if he will fold New Gn'R into solo efforts.

I don't see Axl shitting out a record with Slash and Duff, even if it's sole purpose is to extend the tour.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

]but why should anyone believe there are finished tracks with vocals out there.

Because some of them have leaked or parts of them have leaked.

Off the top of my head we know at least there is:

* The song with the vocals "All Cautions Made, Every Chance Was Given, No Effort Spared To Save What We Have" - I've heard people call this song different names - but it was surely Axl.

* Silkworms - There's a studio version that's different to the live one they did. Similar verses different chorus part, more guitars.

* The Remix of This I Love where Axl is singing in a far higher tone with more rasp over a more electronic instrumental that sounds like a kid's music box. Importantly to me it's not the same vocal take.

We know at least those have vocals we don't have officially.

Then there's other things:

* Blood in the water - seems to be made from a remix of prostitute samples - but was the lyrical content fresh or itself a remix from another unheard track?

* Oh My God Remix - there's a version of this that has more shreddy guitars and sounds like the same Axl vocals but maybe filtered a little differently.

* There's the Bumble and DJ versions of better - although they use the original vocal track.

* Pretty sure Bumble said around 2008 that he had recorded on other tracks that were vocally done but didn't make the album - I think he may have listed Atlas Shrugged in particular but could be wrong about the specific track.

So it seems to me like there's obviously at least enough for some type of EP floating around and that's just from stuff that's made it's way outside...you'd imagine they'd have a lot more.

I've said it once and I'll say it a million times, why would Slash want to record on and release songs written by Robin, Pitman, Tobias, et al?

Once I would have agreed but these days most nights he he plays some of Sorry, Catcher, Chinese Democracy, There was a Time, This I Love etc

If he is happy to do that, I can see he'd be ok with redoing some riffs and solos on CD2 material.

In a way he might even welcome it if Axl gives him the freedom to rock them up a little. Consider the swagger he brings to stuff like CD and Better..you can imagine that working on some of the samples we have...

Board footer