You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: GNR issue statement about Robin

jimmythegent wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
von wrote:

Best CD era lineup: Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Huge, Tommy Stinson, Brain, Dizzy Reed & Chris Pitman. We're down to three, two of whom are really expendable (and one of those two almost completely unnecessary). Isn't it ironic that NOW we stand to finally see this album released? Looks like Axl will be touring behind it with CD Phase IV. Finck was the heir to Slash's throne, not Bumblefoot. Buckethead took the CD recordings to mythic levels, not Fortus. I'm glad for the update, but sad at the current state of my favorite band.

Yeah, its certainly fucked up that by the time CD comes out, it'll likely be a scab lineup touring behind it. Certainly wont take anything away from the record, but will definitely alter the live shows.

While I would laugh at BBF solos, friends/relatives would be laughing at the old solos being played.

Next time everyone may be laughing at the same time.....

Can a musician here tell me what makes these newer songs so difficult to play? I know people can play them, but harsh interpretations are required. You cant get the sound that the 00-04 lineup was able to create.

the only difficult parts are BH's parts James - on a technical, but perhaps more importantly emotional level - thats where BBF falls over - has the technical proficiency but lacks the emotional gut level feel - much the same as say a Fortus vs a Slash

I agree, the old new lineup (2001-2002) definitley had something exciting and appealing - despite the odds still being very much against people accepting them as GNR - but the more that is stripped away and eroded, the less inspiring and interesting the whole 'band' proposition is and the more (if it were possible) farcical the whole thing becomes

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Like I thought, they have absolutely no idea what Robin is doing. Quite fascinating once you start to think about it. Either Robin had no idea they were negotiating the release of CD or Robin knows something we dont.

And now we may all laugh at the same time 14

Copies of copies of copies 14

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That lineup on those songs is magical.

While I like what BH brought to the table, I sincerely feel the rest of the music and musicians are greatly overestimated by this statement, James. Maybe your glorifying the past 'cause of the feeling of excitement we all had when the '00-'01 incarnation burst in the spotlight?

Yes BH is vastly superior to BBF, with regard to their live performances and involvement with the songs. Sure, Finck put his stamp on some of these leaks we've heard (Better solo being the only one I can think of for now). But there's nothing magical about these guys adding a solo or two to songs that have been in the writing for the better part of 14 years. They (esp. BH) elevated mediocre songs to a higher level, but the end result is not something I would call magical.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wonder how the GNR camp is liking the secrecy from Robin. They love it when the shoe is on the other foot.

I know Finck has always been the silent type regarding CD, but I hope he releases some sort of statement soon.

Were his parts on the album being minimized? Is the mythical album in 2008 going to be a turd, so he bailed?

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I remember Robin said something about having a conscience on his website. 

Maybe he is sick of GN'R dicking the fans around.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That lineup on those songs is magical.

While I like what BH brought to the table, I sincerely feel the rest of the music and musicians are greatly overestimated by this statement, James. Maybe your glorifying the past 'cause of the feeling of excitement we all had when the '00-'01 incarnation burst in the spotlight?

Yes BH is vastly superior to BBF, with regard to their live performances and involvement with the songs. Sure, Finck put his stamp on some of these leaks we've heard (Better solo being the only one I can think of for now). But there's nothing magical about these guys adding a solo or two to songs that have been in the writing for the better part of 14 years. They (esp. BH) elevated mediocre songs to a higher level, but the end result is not something I would call magical.

Its the best new GNR had to offer. If you didn't think anything that lineup produced is magical, then you're probably not going to like the record that much.

I'm not glorifying the past. I can listen to those demos right now and feel it is magical. Earth shattering? No.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

oh boy.

At least they're working on getting the album out.

When all those things are due to happen, I believe that Robin will be back.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

When all those things are due to happen, I believe that Robin will be back.

Just how exactly will that happen? Robin is tied up for a year from now on! He even said "more dates to follow".

Either GNR waits with the release of the album for summer 2009 or they go ahead as normal (and the website states they are going ahead). That means if they get the ball rolling (doubt it) it's gonna be without their co song writer and one of the most important attributes to this band.

When Robin says he's on tour with NIN, then that's final. That's a contract for you. Trent won't let Robin go until his part of the deal is over. Axl might sue and do all kinds of stuff to Trent and NIN to bring Robin back but it won't be pretty and Robin himself will certainly not be happy being pulled out of a NIN tour because Axl sued NIN and potentially won.

So, like you say "when all those things are due to happen, Robin will be back". That's 2009 at the earliest for you. If not, you won't see Robin in GNR any time soon.

I never said that he will be back, all I'm saying is that "I believe" that he will.

It's basically wishful thinking - and I also know that literally no one will agree with me.

But as of now, we have no idea what will happen. (And with that, I mean the future within Guns N' Roses)

If he's not coming back, I wish him all the best and I hope that GN'R will be able to solve that in a good way.

Board footer