You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Hurricane Irma

slcpunk wrote:

I'm expect 100's of millions of dollars worth of damage. I grew up in Florida, and you just kind of get used to Hurricanes. You prepare, board up the house, get everything ready...and then it just rains. This happens a lot, and why so many people in those areas are so lax about it. Although every now and then one comes through and does serious damage. One year our house flooded.

My ex GF was in her parents' house in Miami for hurricane Andrew. They rented movies, cooked a bunch of food, and did not anticipate what would happen next. Hours later they ended up in the bathroom together, with a mattress over their heads, praying as the roof was ripped off. When it was over and they went in the front yard, the enormous tree that was there all her life, was gone...nowhere to be seen.

Glad I don't live there anymore.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James Lofton wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read Putin launched chemicals in the air over Moscow to alter weather for a parade. I wonder if that's something that could be researched to mitigate hurricanes or other extreme weather.

Good idea.

Maybe my old idea to drop bombs in the eye of hurricanes will finally catch on.

I'm no physicist, but my assumption is the only conventional bomb big enough to disrupt the pressure system would have to be nuclear. I don't see them supporting detonating airborne bombs over the ocean at any point.

Edit:  yep
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I heard that question asked on the radio yesterday. No idea of the credentials of the person who answered it but according to them a hurricane of Irmas magnitude is more powerful than a nuke anyway. All we would achieve by nuking a hurricane is producing a radioactive hurricane.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Interesting.

I still say they should attempt it. Its never been done before. In a situation where a monster hurricane will make a direct hit, its worth the risk. Even the article hints that it might be possible but you'd have to catch it early and there's no way of knowing at that point which ones will form into a hurricane.

I've had a brain fart. What's the name of those bombs that just suck the oxygen out of the air?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Vacuum bombs, or volumetric weapons?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I don't know how you could just displace the oxygen out of the air, and how that would help mitigate a hurricane when 70% of the air is nitrogen.  I'm sure there's some chemical reaction that could be created to target the oxygen, but the element itself isn't a factor here, it's the high velocity winds.  Oxygen is more flammable than nitrogen, so you conceivably burn the oxygen and convert it to thermal energy in a closed environment, but in a hurricane that would be virtually impossible since you can't create a border limiting nearby oxygen from flowing in.  A nuclear bomb's shock-wave would create a vacuum that would remove all air and disrupt the pressure system, but a slight miscalculation of detonation and we're creating a tsunami.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A tsunami triggered by one detonation? 18 I doubt that although its never been attempted before...so maybe. That brings up a question....I wonder if anything similar was attempted under the radar back in the decades both superpowers were testing a bunch of nukes?

For the record, I wasn't advocating the use of a major nuclear weapon. I was thinking more along the lines of tactical nukes although they're probably too small to put a dent in the storm.

Lasers might be a good idea although I have no idea the kind of effect they would have in such an environment. I just know there has to be a way to kill these superstorms and if there is, it will be a military solution.

I need to do some research on the subject. I always thought if you attacked the eye it could cause a major disruption to the entire storm.

edit: In other news, the storm turned again and for the worse. It looks like its going straight to Florida.

Board footer