You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Tom Petty has died

Very sad to hear about his passing. Also dug him as a musician. Especially his solo album, Full Moon Fever with Jeff Lynne and other Wilbury friends. I had an Anthology album of his on one of my Spotify playlists that I would sometimes frequent. RIP. This is one of my favorite tracks from him that I wanted to share.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Man this has been a rough week.

My girlfriend said did you hear the news? I was like, uh Vegas?

Nope, Tom Petty had a heart attack, and may be off life support.

I couldn't believe it. I thought man he's going to pull through.

The news he was dead, not dead. And then I woke up Tuesday morning to the confirmation Mr. Petty died.

I've been crying on and off for the last while.

Fortunate to have seen him in Kansas City. Best road trip of 2017 from Toronto to KC to Chicago.

Warren Zanes book on Tom Petty, will give you a perfect picture of the artist and man, Mr. Petty was.

Still was making great records into his later age. Also, restarting his first band Mudcrutch with his pals was great. Both records are phenomenal.

Square One, and, Night Driver, are standouts for me on Highway Companion.

Something Good Coming, I Should Have Known It, from MOJO.

Forgotten Man, America Dream Plan B from Hypnotic Eye.

It sucks cause Mr. Petty had so much potential, and is now gone.

Dude was true to the music, did't waiver, wasn't a sue hungry cat like the Eagles, and had integrity.

He's inspired me to finally pick up my guitar and learn it.

All I know is the world is a shittier without Tom Petty.

I hope Axl does a Tom Petty And the Heartbreakers cover / tribute on October 8th.

I was fortunate to have seen him live and up close in KC. I kind of wished I brought my DSLR into the show now, but, oh well. I got to be more focused on the gig.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thanks for the book recommendation. It'll be my next book.

He really was amazing. I wish Orbison hadn't died and maybe they would've kept Wilburys going a bit longer and come back to it as a side project over the years.

I hope Axl does a Tom Petty And the Heartbreakers cover / tribute on October 8th.

Me too....and NOT Free Falling. I think GNR could knock Refugee out of the park. Out of his hits(which is what they'd do), cant think of a better one than Refugee for them to tackle.

I almost cried when I read he was retiring now because he wanted to raise his granddaughter. Dies a month later.

Tragic.

I thought it was terrible how during the uncertainty of his health status, it turned into a goddamn meme.

People have no respect anymore.

James

James wrote:

Great performance on Letterman.....

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

R.I.P. but What was so special about Tom Petty ?

I did n`t like what I`ve heard from him.

Mudcrutch was laughably bad.

Heartbreakers and The Travelling Wilburys were average at best.

Am I missing anything ?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

R.I.P. but What was so special about Tom Petty ?

I did n`t like what I`ve heard from him.

Mudcrutch was laughably bad.

Heartbreakers and The Travelling Wilburys were average at best.

Am I missing anything ?

1. He was solid for decades. Find me any other act, solo or band, with such longevity. Metallica ok, Aerosmith fine, Pearl Jam, mehhh I'm not so sure.

2. Free Fallin, Learnin to Fly, Runnin Down A Dream, Here Comes My Girl, American Girl (Honestly, I kinda forgot he sung that in a way. Its just such an anthem I just thought it was some anthem song. Not sure how to explain it, just thought it was a song played in bars or something lol), Won't Back Down.   I could go on but those are definitely great.

3. Travelling Wilburys were great, you kinda had to live thru it a bit but the way these greats formed a band anonymously I always wish someone recreated it in a way. Like the grunge era or Green Day, Blink 182, Matchbox 20 & Third Eye Blind singers.  Just form an acoustic band and put it out there. Handle With Care is a great song, and End Of The Line. I think the 2nd album wasn't as up to snuff.

Anyway, I get it if you didn't like him yourself. He was sorta a downer acoustic musician. Maybe like Beck, unique, but not for everybody. But again you at least have to give credit to longevity & the mass volume of work over nearly 40 years solid.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

James Lofton wrote:

[/embed]

Never saw this performance. So good.

Tom Petty was / is special.

Dude had something to say, and good creative outlet, and could write a album of stellar tracks. Bands like Aerosmith can't do that. Not at Tom Petty's level anymore.

In a world where many big cat musicians are greedy as fuck, and suing folks left, right, and center, that never happened with Mr. Petty.

He had artistic integrity [and legit integrity too], and grit.

No one can top this guy.

And I am still rather down about his loss.

The bell tolls for him, and thee.

The world is less of a place.

James

James wrote:

Everyone should check out that old Behind the Music episode on Petty. It does leave out certain things(collab with Stevie Nicks) and glosses over certain periods but it's a damn good episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJj6GwfCWu8

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you want a really good look into his career watch Runnin Down A Dream. It's four hours long but totally worth it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

[/embed]

Wow, that was great!!

Board footer