You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

esoterica wrote:

Izzy seems like a good dude. I dig the attitude approach to life.

The only way the public accepts no Slash in Guns N' Roses is if he died. Beyond the Plant/Page, Jagger/Richards, Tyler/Perry comparisons, GN'R was Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift big. Music, image, time, and memory. They're all seared into your brain permanently and anything that isn't that is as gross as kissing your cousin.

The only band that has recovered is the Stones and Ronnie is no slouch. He's also the rhythm player, not Keith. AC/DC doesn't work for me because it was never Bon's band and the later stuff really pushed them mainstream stateside.

It could've gone all gone perfectly. Chinese could've been flawless. It still would've had an asterisk next to it.

The only way Axl was getting out of that box was to go solo or form an entirely separate band and continuing to do so with other genres/directions like Young and his ilk. I get why he didn't but that's how he should've done it.

And Post Fruscante Chili's is garbage and the band was running out of steam even when he was in it.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

And Post Fruscante Chili's is garbage and the band was running out of steam even when he was in it.

well, I actually like Californication, which has Dave Navarro on lead guitar. the other albums are meh. at least IMHO.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 45 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

FlashFlood wrote:
zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

And Post Fruscante Chili's is garbage and the band was running out of steam even when he was in it.

well, I actually like Californication, which has Dave Navarro on lead guitar. the other albums are meh. at least IMHO.

Californication is Frusciante. One Hot Minute (Aeroplane, Warped, My Friends, etc) is Navarro.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

zombux wrote:

huh. well, it seems RHCP are really not inside of my comfort zone smile

mitchejw
 Rep: 109 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

mitchejw wrote:

Aren’t we talking about the fundamental difference between music and marketing?

Let’s say someone played the exact same solo or note as Slash...the hypothesis here is all that matters is who is playing it....so slash matters? More than the music...

Someone made the point that GnR made almost everything else gross. I empathize with that a lot....i have had trouble moving on ever since....

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

monkeychow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I’ve sometimes wondered how GNR goes over if only Slash left from the end of the UYI tour. If Axl patches things up with everyone else and the rest of the band move forward.

It would be interesting...but there's stuff they'd have to do:

1. The band just didn't really move forward. I don't wanna start bashing but when you consider that from 1992-2018 there's been only one album - it doesn't help people accept the line up as part of the band if it's just covers. Demonstrate that you can still make songs that fit with the old music. (Notice how Ac/Dc do this).

2. Don't change up the overall style. No chris pittman pumping out synth at double guitar volume at RIR3 etc. No attempts to be Nine Inch Nails. GNR would have to try and be like 1991 GNR just with a new lead guitarist - not be trying to evolve our understanding of what it means to be GNR.

3. Hire a guitarist who fits with Slash's sound. Robin simply didn't have the chops. Bucket and Bumble absolutely do but their natural styles are completely different to 99% of GNR music. Someone with a blues-rock background but scary chops was what was needed - someone like Doug Aldrich who brought fresh life into whitesnake for a time.

If they'd done those things...you'd probably have some degree of acceptance by the general public, but overall a significant portion of the GNR sound is Slash's style mixed with Axl's voice,so you'd probably always be playing catch-up.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 426 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Aren’t we talking about the fundamental difference between music and marketing?

Let’s say someone played the exact same solo or note as Slash...the hypothesis here is all that matters is who is playing it....so slash matters? More than the music...

I would say Ron and the others (well, not early Finck, but he got better) played most of the right notes.  They missed the style a bit, but it's hard to replicate sloppiness.  Music isn't just hitting notes.  There's a feel to it...some non-musicians don't hear it, but most musicians do.  I think it's why some people are more picky on some things than others.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 84 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

monkeychow wrote:

3. Hire a guitarist who fits with Slash's sound. Robin simply didn't have the chops. Bucket and Bumble absolutely do but their natural styles are completely different to 99% of GNR music. Someone with a blues-rock background but scary chops was what was needed - someone like Doug Aldrich who brought fresh life into whitesnake for a time.

If they'd done those things...you'd probably have some degree of acceptance by the general public, but overall a significant portion of the GNR sound is Slash's style mixed with Axl's voice,so you'd probably always be playing catch-up.

I mean... Fortus was right there. IIRC he actually auditioned for them but then Axl discovered Buckethead and fast-tracked him. I reckon if they'd gone with an Axl/Freese/Fortus/Huge/Reed/Pitman/Stinson line-up they might just about have been able to keep the old guard on side, because they're fairly similar to the old band; you've got a punk bassist, a pair of straightforward rock guitarists who don't rock the boat too much image-wise, etc. Finck and Bucket, much as I love them, cemented this image of post-Slash GN'R as an oddball carnival instead of the rock band they used to be. Obviously it would've been exponentially easier to win fans over if they'd still had Duff, Matt, Gilby etc in the band.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 29 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

I dig Izzy his song writing and his do what I want attitude is solid.

But, dude needs to realize he wasn’t going to get the same share of the pie for a lame as fuck guest spot. No one gives two shits about those except the hardcore fans.

Maybe actually complete a whole tour with the band, and then you’d have some credibility. Prove your worth type of thing.

Past members could of should of who cares. All that matters is right now.

As for the drumming it don’t mattered. Adler is a wild card fuck up, still, and Matt Sorum is known for being a huge cunt. No one is dying to see any of those two, back with the boys[except for the hardcore fans].

Hopefully this band can finally put out new music as this lack of crap is crap.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 84 

Re: Izzy: "Sometimes things don't work out"

TheSundanceKid wrote:

I dig Izzy his song writing and his do what I want attitude is solid.

But, dude needs to realize he wasn’t going to get the same share of the pie for a lame as fuck guest spot. No one gives two shits about those except the hardcore fans.

Maybe actually complete a whole tour with the band, and then you’d have some credibility. Prove your worth type of thing.

Past members could of should of who cares. All that matters is right now.

As for the drumming it don’t mattered. Adler is a wild card fuck up, still, and Matt Sorum is known for being a huge cunt. No one is dying to see any of those two, back with the boys[except for the hardcore fans].

Hopefully this band can finally put out new music as this lack of crap is crap.

It's not really about their personalities so much as it is... GN'R is a business. The "regrouping" is the single biggest business opportunity of their lives, the chance to cash in on 20 years' worth of touring dollars that they've missed out on. Their chance to ascend to the big leagues of nostalgia touring acts, like the Stones and U2. They don't want to rock the boat, they want a well-oiled touring machine. They dropped Pitman like a hot potato when he ran his mouth; they can't run the risk of having volatile elements like Adler and Izzy – who could up and leave at any moment – in the band. Not to mention the financial outlay – Izzy was only ever going to be offered guest-slot money.

The setup they have provides stability and reliability. Essentially it's Slash and Duff plugging into the established touring act that Axl had built up over the years. As long as Slash and Duff didn't hate Fortus and Frank on sight, it was always going to be this line-up. Izzy and Adler were only ever going to be offered guest slots here and there as a sop to the fans – and now that the NITL line-up's proved that it can turn up on time, put on a show and bring in the dollars, the clamour over the "original AFD five" has ebbed away. They'd be a curiosity for hardcore fans at this point.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB