You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Just an fyi on the results of the Best of Rough Mixes Disc 1

AtariLegend wrote:

The Blues on that disc is the best version of the track and one of the best tracks ever recorded by this band. In an alternative universe were the saga wasn't botched, that version of the track would be remembered and played on stations just like Sweet Child O'Mine as a classic.

Those of you that chose Atlas Shrugged over it were 100% wrong.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

The Blues on that disc is the best version of the track and one of the best tracks ever recorded by this band. In an alternative universe were the saga wasn't botched, that version of the track would be remembered and played on stations just like Sweet Child O'Mine as a classic.

I have to disagree. I think it's good, no doubt. But I like the arrangement with the guitars coming in later, and for some reason I find Robins little lead fills a bit grating.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I don't really disagree with you but I think Atlas is a bit more interesting musically.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I like Atlas, but I thought it'd be better than it is/was.

So, I agree with you. I actually hope they do not record it for the new album because it sounds dated unless they can swish it up a little. There's a lot more potential around

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I agree with Atari, here.

Atlas is patchy, musically. Like CITR, it really suffers from Ax's off the wall recording style, with noticeable splices in the sound when one section is married to something completely different. Axl's voice is amazing here, carrying the melody around inventively and the song overall has a nice, uplifting feel to it. I'm reminded of Boston (the band) for some reason...

That Blues is sublime, pretty much the studio version everyone wanted to hear after RIR3. Musically, it's extremely tight and Axl's producing style pays back in spades.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

There's no saving Axl's vocals on this version of The Blues. It has and always will sound like demo to me. Never liked it post 2002. Now, The 2002 live version is absolute bliss, emotional, deep and meaningful. So disappointed in t he studio version.

P.S
"Atlas" is not great, but "Perhaps" that's a fantastic song.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

The Blues is probably the most GNR song on that disc. This version is pretty comfortable and assured. Only downside is that it is a little expected and seems like an Elton Rose Song. Whereas Atlas Shrugged doesn’t have that dejavu thing. Atlas lyrics and vocals are sublime. Solo is pretty cool too. I hope Atlas gets heard by the mainstream.

Perhaps is a fun GNR track with Axl really unloading vocally. Any band with these two tracks would be green lit for a album. But they seem to have 10-14.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I agree that it's the best version of the song and definitely what fans back in the day expected the song to sound like. Same can be said about some of the other songs though.

It's not easy for long time fans like us to judge them from a neutral stance due to listening to the songs for 20 years. Chronologically it's a mess for fans. Hear live versions for years, then demos in various stages of completion, the actual album, and now hearing the songs how they were originally intended.

Not easy to cleanse your palate....

While the songs may not technically be mind-blowing, I do know that this album on first listen in 2000 would've blown my mind.

Disagree on Atlas. That song is underrated and probably always will be. It shouldn't have been hyped....that's for sure....it's one of those songs that could go either way:

A potential hit single in the vein of Yesterdays or a killer deep cut.

Apex does make a great point about the rough nature of the track. It needs some work or better cut/paste job...this is even more true for Perhaps. How unfortunate if he never went back to it and they simply kept adding layers to that same track.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
James wrote:

Disagree on Atlas. That song is underrated and probably always will be. It shouldn't have been hyped....that's for sure....it's one of those songs that could go either way:

A potential hit single in the vein of Yesterdays or a killer deep cut.

...or a B-Side ;-)

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Atlas needs to be re- recorded by the current line up as a band .

Let’s go for a less is more production style if at all possible . I want to hear the seperate guitar parts being played , the bass etc ... not an indistinguishable haze of mud.

Bones of a great song there ...

Board footer