You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chris Cornell Cover of Patience to be released?

AtariLegend wrote:

https://twitter.com/TheAFDShow/status/1285010018866266115?s=20

Not sure on the source, but we'll see.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Going to be interesting to hear. I know that things have been ugly between the band and Vicky since his death.

Would love James’ thoughts on the situation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

When it came out that he had recorded a shit ton of covers, I prayed he had recorded a couple GNR songs.

This wasn't the one I was expecting.

It's pretty good. He doesn't own the song the way he did Nothing Compares To You. He likes doing different versions when covering songs....best example One.....U2's music with Metallica's lyrics.

It's a grower.

“That’s the miracle of music. No one can reinterpret a Picasso, but a song can be remixed and covered and interpreted in an infinite number of ways. It’s a living thing.” - Chris Cornell

I think after Soundgarden had run its course, he was going in the Rod Stewart, Michael McDonald, and Johnny Cash direction and release/tour a bunch of covers.

It would've been amazing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, vocals are a good take. Music/background is pretty bad, would prefer just him & some simple acoustic chords.

Did you see his daughter cover 'Hunger Strike' James??  Really good, simplistic, but she's got his vocals.

James

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, vocals are a good take. Music/background is pretty bad, would prefer just him & some simple acoustic chords.

Did you see his daughter cover 'Hunger Strike' James??  Really good, simplistic, but she's got his vocals.

Yeah after multiple listens, the music is what brings it down.

Yep....Cornell with an acoustic guitar... perfection.

His daughter has a pretty good voice. I'm not blown away like some fans are but she has potential.

I know she's young but she needs to focus on her own thing.

I'm not interested in a spoiled, pampered teen singing his dark lyrics.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree. Not expecting her to become Miley or Gaga or anything, but for a one off, it was really good

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Nice enough but a tad pedestrian - lacks the dynamism of the original ...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

You might be confusing Chris’ daughter with the blue haired fool that currently resides in GN’R... tongue

And I think Chris’ daughter has every right to sing those “dark” lyrics, considering her own dad did himself in

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

He had a unique way of making anything he sang sound mournful. Patience is essentially a love song but Cornell inflects it with a distinct melancholia ...

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

You might be confusing Chris’ daughter with the blue haired fool that currently resides in GN’R... tongue

And I think Chris’ daughter has every right to sing those “dark” lyrics, considering her own dad did himself in

Of course she has a right to do whatever she wants.... the lyrics coming out of a mouth born in a mansion simply aren't convincing.
His lyrics are really personal. 

Dealing with your father's death at that age is no picnic and can easily become what Dr. Phil would've referred to as a defining moment.

Maybe this will push her own creativity.

Leave Fresh Tendrils, Mailman, By Crooked Steps, etc alone.

Board footer