You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 84 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

It's actually not that strange when you think about it. I suspect Axl wasn't really running a "parallel GN'R" with people like Sid Riggs and Gary Sunshine; they were there to lay down tracks on Axl's demos that he was presenting to the band. Remember, Axl's a singer and pianist, not a guitarist or a drummer; he's also a bit of a perfectionist. I could envision a scenario where he's thinking, "I've got an idea for a song with a riff that goes 'Ba-danga-danga-chugga-TWANG' but I can't play the guitar and drum parts myself. Before I present it to Slash and Duff I want to make sure it sounds good, so I'll get these session guys to work it up as a demo..."

Tobias obviously did contribute song ideas because at that point Axl saw him as Izzy's replacement, and a full member of the band.

James
 Rep: 627 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

James wrote:

It's actually not that strange when you think about it.

The band had never had a revolving door of musicians....until that point.

It's pretty strange. IMO it's the last thing they needed at that point in time. It's diluting everything, they're quickly losing the plot, and how can issues get resolved in such an environment?

I suspect Axl wasn't really running a "parallel GN'R" with people like Sid Riggs and Gary Sunshine; they were there to lay down tracks on Axl's demos that he was presenting to the band.

The shadow lineups thing is an established fact. Were they actually IN one of these lineups or just orbiting them? We don't know... although I do lean more in your direction when it comes to these specific guys.

I'm amazed that anyone could keep track of the whole thing. On top of various concurrently running lineups, there's instrumentals on the Village Sessions discs that are clearly not even GNR.... it's Bucket, Brain, Scaturro, and God only knows who else.

Can you imagine any band not named Steely Dan operating like this?

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

Sky Dog wrote:

Lol...Steely Dan never built a chicken coop in the studio for a crazy mofo with a KFC chicken bucket on his head. bucket

James
 Rep: 627 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Lol...Steely Dan never built a chicken coop in the studio for a crazy mofo with a KFC chicken bucket on his head. bucket

Or supplied anyone with dog shit.....

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

Sky Dog wrote:

And porn videos! You can’t make it up...

FlashFlood
 Rep: 47 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

And porn videos! You can’t make it up...

It actually sounds so absurd I think it may indeed be made up/exaggerated.

James
 Rep: 627 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

James wrote:

It's not made up. He was just taking the piss at that point....who wouldn't....and seeing how far he could go.

An obvious mistake in hindsight. The other members already didn't like him. That shit didn't help.

Tommy: "I'd like to shit in his bucket."

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 0 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:

Here's an interesting quote for those who believe some of the Village Sessions originated before the CD era officially kicked off.....

----

"You played in a rather bizarre version of Guns n Roses in the mid-90s - Sid Riggs was on drums I believe, who else was involved? Paul Tobias?

KB: Well now, keep in mind Sid and I were recording on demos. Paul was involved. If you talk to him, tell him to call me too. He’s a great guy. As for the recordings, across the mixer were such people as Slash, Zakk, Matt, Duff, Dizzy, and a host of others. We were all a part of putting tracks down on the demos. So, it was never a "version" of the band. It was fun though... The only time I really talked to [Axl] was up at that particular Halloween party at his house. He was never there when I was doing any playing. He told me he liked the bass parts and asked if I was getting paid on time, gotta love that. " (Krys Baratto, Sp1at, 04/15/05)

-----

Absolutely bizarre. A huge revolving door WHILE Slash, Duff, and Matt were still in the band.

Since at least some version of Oklahoma existed, even if incredibly basic( like Soundgarden's Lemon Days, first demo of Fell On Black Days) in 1994....its possible (likely) that this revolving door of musicians worked on it...even if only fleshing it out in a jam session.

This would be 1994-96.

Zakk was jamming with GNR in 1995.


----


We have been doing mostly Axl's material. (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laughs). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. (Matt, 09/23/96)

The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

---

7 songs that are 4 minutes in length?

Matt... would one of those happen to be Oklahoma which clocks in at 4:21?

I think rebel came from those sessions since it sounds like something Zakk would write.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 0 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:

It's actually not that strange when you think about it.

The band had never had a revolving door of musicians....until that point.

It's pretty strange. IMO it's the last thing they needed at that point in time. It's diluting everything, they're quickly losing the plot, and how can issues get resolved in such an environment?

I suspect Axl wasn't really running a "parallel GN'R" with people like Sid Riggs and Gary Sunshine; they were there to lay down tracks on Axl's demos that he was presenting to the band.

The shadow lineups thing is an established fact. Were they actually IN one of these lineups or just orbiting them? We don't know... although I do lean more in your direction when it comes to these specific guys.

I'm amazed that anyone could keep track of the whole thing. On top of various concurrently running lineups, there's instrumentals on the Village Sessions discs that are clearly not even GNR.... it's Bucket, Brain, Scaturro, and God only knows who else.

Can you imagine any band not named Steely Dan operating like this?

Prom Violence, Billionaire, Dub Suplex, real doll, and a few others are clearly stuff BH did with Brain and brought to Axl.

James
 Rep: 627 

Re: Who wrote Oklahoma?

James wrote:

It's going to be a damn shame if they never properly fleshed out Prom Violence into a real song.

For all we know, Bucket used it for one of his million solo albums.


Which Village Sessions track did he use for one of his albums years later? I already forgot.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB