You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If The World....

James wrote:

Just got home after shopping. On the drive there and back I listened to my disc with the best of the Village Sessions. It dawned on me....

If the World should've been the first single. I always thought the title track (before and after release) was the perfect song to unleash the album. After hearing them again, I've done a 180.

Not only is it one of the few highlights on the album, it also went perfectly with the times it was released in...the chaos and uncertainty of fall 2008.

It couldn't have been any worse than how it played out.

I realize it sorta was the first single with the movie tie in but they half assed it.

While it goes without saying....the version on the Village Sessions is superior to the album version.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I was telling this to Russ the other day, when the Antiquiet leaks hit, I was blasting "If The World" at top volume on repeat. I couldn't be bothered to listen to any of the others.

The song filled me with an immense amount of joy. I still love it.

It was fun and funky, had pop smarts, and fits alongside of the Use Your Illusion / Zeppelin III vibe they had going for them. Even better if it could've dropped in 2001.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I love the demo version that dropped recently. That bit where Axl repeats "If the world would end and our love slipped away" instead of the "Way-ay-ay" echo, those extra Bucket licks in the outro... so much better than the album version.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Song reminds me of Garbage's The World Is Not Enough.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I *kind* of liked the antiquiet leak, then they buried Tommy’s bass in the album cut. Still a meh song to me but get it would have meant more in 01.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I actually liked all the leaks better than the final album versions.

I think they should’ve kept Brian Mays solo in CITR...TWAT seemed less interesting after too much post production...

But if the world is still a track that when i play around strangers they ask about...everyone says it sounds like James Bond without even knowing the title or the band.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I actually liked all the leaks better than the final album versions.

I think they should’ve kept Brian Mays solo in CITR...TWAT seemed less interesting after too much post production...

But if the world is still a track that when i play around strangers they ask about...everyone says it sounds like James Bond without even knowing the title or the band.

I'm in the camp that the Beaven sessions were ready to go. As in , they should have been the album. It is head and shoulders better than the final mix. With that said, there is no excuse the Village sessions weren't properly released. Even the "mediocre" material from this period still slaps..Any additions afterwards did more harm than good for a really solid record.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

When I heard the first TWAT leak it was everything I ever wanted in a new guns song. Epic and modern, amazing solo. Axl screams. It was perfect. Album version is fine but that leak was perfection.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

When I heard the first TWAT leak it was everything I ever wanted in a new guns song. Epic and modern, amazing solo. Axl screams. It was perfect. Album version is fine but that leak was perfection.

Yea...I relate to that quite a bit...

I was so pumped after those demos...I think they were teasing music videos too which of course never happened.

Then I remember going to see them live in like '06 and when they played the new stuff half the crowd would go get a beer. I think I understand at least why Axl was too scared to release it. But that's not how it should work. Can you imagine this wussy attitude coinciding the release of appetite? His motivation was to bury Appetite with the Illusions. Then he's too scared to ever take his music career seriously ever again.

It's just like....wtf?

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

It really highlights how with no leaks there is no album. Axl set unreasonably high expectations for himself that even his staunchest supporters never needed him to reach.

Board footer