You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Current Events Thread

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Trump pays no federal taxes, uses federal government as a slush fund to subsidize failed businesses for the past 15 years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ny-times-tru … 54920.html

If only Hillary warned us about this during the debates last year 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James wrote:

This is unbelievable. People protesting for police to be defunded are suing because the police didn't help them....

SEATTLE — At least 11 plaintiffs on Friday filed a civil lawsuit in King County Superior Court, accusing Seattle and Washington state officials from failing to provide adequate protection for them from out of control drivers or police officers while they were demonstrating.

Attorneys say it could end up being 60 plaintiffs once a legal waiting period expires in two months.

Speaking under overcast skies at Jimi Hendrix Park and echoing the allegations contained in the civil lawsuit, several dozen people announced the lawsuit while going into detail how they were targeted by Seattle police during the protests that flared in the city last summer following the death of George Floyd by four Minneapolis police officers.

"This lawsuit is brought on behalf of peaceful protesters," said Karen, one of the event organizers. "These protesters did not attack the police. They did not commit violence. They did not loot. They are like 99 percent of the protesters who have tried to protest on behalf of Black Lives Matter. Their peaceful protests were met with the very thing they are protesting against: They were met by excessive force from the police.

The 100-page lawsuit includes the family of Summer Taylor, who was killed in the overnight hours of July 4 while protesting police brutality on a closed stretch of Interstate 5 when a white Jaguar sped around parked cars on the freeway, striking Taylor and another protester.

“I don't have many good days anymore” Summer’s father, Matt Taylor, told KOMO News following the announcement about the lawsuit. Taylor's family said the victim had lived on Capitol Hill and was a regular protest participant since the unrest began in Seattle in June.

Matt Taylor said the Washington State Patrol troopers failed to protect protesters who where on I-5 that night. The lawsuit says the state has a history of allowing I-5 lanes to be temporarily shut down for people exercising their First Amendment right.

“Yes, they were not providing adequate protection” he said. “If you look at the way they behaved and the things they say, the things they say in social media, they weren't there protecting anyone, they didn't care at all.”

Daniel Gregory was shot by a man who drove his car into a crowd that was standing behind a barricade set up by Seattle police officers to prevent protesters from advancing to the department's East Precinct building.

Gregory said police should have protected demonstrators from someone driving into the crowd.

“They didn't prevent it,” he said. “I felt like they favored it to happen more than they favored for it not to happen. They had barricades (and), we had cones we set up.”

According to the filing, Gregory is also a plaintiff in the civil action.

"City and State governmental entities operating in Seattle are not above the law," the plaintiffs state in the lawsuit. "Their solemn duties include protecting and serving The People. Even when The People are critical of or peacefully disobedient towards those in power or who have law enforcement authority over them, governments are not allowed to react out of irritation or anger. Governments are not allowed to indiscriminately lash out against The People invoking their Constitutional rights to assemble and protest, even if in disharmony with other laws. Governments are not allowed to create or contribute to situations imperiling The People protesting."

Several dozen people gathered Friday to announce the filing of a wrongful death lawsuit against the city and state, alleging that neither government.

Other plaintiffs in the lawsuit include protesters who said they were beaten, struck, doused with pepper spray or tear gassed by police during protests.

One of those was a veteran of the war in Afghanistan.

“All the things that we experienced when we were deployed are literally happening here,” said Abie Ekenezar.

The plaintiffs accuse Seattle police of engaging in discrimination and brutality while the protesters were exercising their Constitutionally mandated rights to peacefully protest.

The plaintiffs accuse Seattle police of engaging in discrimination and brutality while the protesters were exercising their Constitutionally mandated rights to peacefully protest.

The lawsuit is accusing the city of violating the state's Constitution and other state and local laws.

City officials said they will challenge the lawsuit.

“We intend to investigate these alleged claims and will defend the City in this matter,” a spokesman for the Seattle City Attorney's Office said.

https://komonews.com/news/local/protest … otect-them

Minneapolis politicians just discovered that they actually serve their constituents, and the locals aren't hip with abolishing their police force.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Trump tax story -- So, he happens to be the guy we knew he was all along. I don't know about you guys, but I am shocked.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah it's what people today call a "nothingburger".

The mega rich do this shit all the time. I vaguely remember an article a few years ago about Bezos paying little to no taxes and he's the richest guy in history. People forgot about it five minutes later.

Nobody actually cares.

There will be partisan bickering over this issue for 24-48 hours and then it's on to the next outrage.

Tomorrow is the debate. At least one outrage will come from that.

So if anyone wants to argue about Trump's taxes, the clock is ticking.....

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think there's more to it.  Mostly, it dives into the trumps using politics for political gain. Which countries does trump have the loans with (Saudi, Russia) and is that affecting his policy (obvi, it is).  The DC Hotel first & foremost, is being rented out constantly by foreign nationals.  Same with his golf courses, as well as him billing the US dime for Secret Service et al to stay there. Saudi Arabia, was never on the Muslim ban, and we never retaliated for Jamal Kashoggi nor the Saudi military member who opened fire in a Florida navy base 2 years ago. Also, his whole patronage to Russia & Putin, it's too much.

All these 'Consulting Fees', Brad Parscale spending millions the last 2 years, yet trumps pullin advertising money in key states. trump LLC has like $400 million due in a year or two, they say people in debt wouldn't get National Security clearance due to potential influence from foreign government (Kushner). Is there a reason ivanka keeps staying on as a 'advisor', did she not get security clearance.

I agree this won't impact trumpers opinions or votes, but I think something big is coming of this.

James

James wrote:

All of those points may be valid.....BUT.....

Everybody already knew about that stuff. It's literally old news. Tossing up that old Russia chestnut really isn't going to move the needle.

This isn't how you beat Donald Trump. This is how you slide him in to a second term. He is the Teflon president....and the media's constant focus on him and everyone playing along has created this environment where literally nothing substantial will stick.  It is what it is.

I said this was going to happen four years ago when it was breaking news when he took a drink of water, walked up a flight of stairs, got in a golf cart, etc. He was being turned into entertainment....and when he cheats on his taxes, his kids have security clearance, he makes some shady deal with the big bad world leader of the week, or anything else, it just seamlessly flows with the nonsense everyone freaked out about. What difference is there in Trump taking a drink of water or his daughter getting consulting fees? The reaction is the same.

The media and the public created this monster. Now it's out of control.

How can he be stopped? I don't think he can. Regardless of what they say, the media loves him. They make shit tons of money constantly whining about him. If they didn't, they wouldn't cover him 24/7....they'd cover him like they did all previous presidents.

The public loves him too. Even if they claim to hate him, they literally can't stop talking about him. This country is a reality show come to life.

It's sick.

I know one thing....

If the DNC was serious about trying to dethrone him, they wouldn't have picked a guy pushing 80 who mistakes his wife for his sister and believes he's running for the Senate half the time.... and they also wouldn't have allowed Kamala Harris within a light year of the VP slot.

He's the fall guy....Trump gets his second term, people will talk about Trump four more years, and then the left will run its own Trump.....The Rock.

, but I think something big is coming of this.

People have been predicting this for four years.

The only thing big coming is the media whipping everyone into a frenzy when he wins, protests in major cities, people will die, and the media will rake in big piles of cash.

Trump was right....he could shoot someone and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. It would just be one in a series of outrages that day.

James

James wrote:

I know I've been whining about this stuff lately but I've been watching more news this past week than I have in years.

It's pure insanity.

If someone who was in a coma for the past 20 years were to wake up all of a sudden, and then a TV placed in front of them, they would start screaming.

Media outlets and the tech giants (social media) have turned us into Frankenstein's monster.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think it's pretty incredible guys like Greenwald and Taibi, who were pretty progressive progressives, are now pariahs for calling in if the fakeness of progressive media and are being defended by younger republicans. And I totally believe they were banned from MSNBC, especially now brutally they goofed on Maddow for her Russia nonsense.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I fail to see how the taxes stuff does anything to impact the vote. As has already been said the takeaway is "He pays little to no tax": those who already don't like him already knew/thought this and those who do like him either block it out or don't care.

The undecideds and swing voters already know this and lie to themselves or even if they do care and think it's bad - it's not something that shifts how they vote. If they do choose to vote for him it's one other thing they hold their nose about as they tick that box.

DNC should primarily attack him on competence and anything that is fully provable and demonstrable. Can't just point out bad things he's said either. You can't just go to hispanic voters and go "You have to come out and vote blue, he called you all rapists". Yeah, he may have but if you're not also offering a compelling story about what you'll do for their lives they are likely to either hold their nose and vote for him because he does say something about that OR just not turnout at all.

I think talks of national security threats (can he be blackmailed because of his debt, Russia, etc.) even if legitimate always sound hyperbolic and do more harm to your campaign than the other. I remember during the Brexit vote one remain campaigning politician (I think it was the PM) talked about the possibility of a WW3 at one point. His general point was that the EU by keeping countries economically tied together for decades had lessened the chance of conflict amongst them that had been seen in the decades and centuries prior but, the headline takeaway was "PM says leaving the EU risks WW3" and it sounded ridiculous.

Separate to all of that, since I doubt it got much coverage over in the US. Channel 4 over here got access to the 2016 campaign database and did a piece on it. If you are unaware of how microtargetted voters can be these days it's worth a watch.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah it's what people today call a "nothingburger".

The mega rich do this shit all the time. I vaguely remember an article a few years ago about Bezos paying little to no taxes and he's the richest guy in history. People forgot about it five minutes later.

Nobody actually cares.

There will be partisan bickering over this issue for 24-48 hours and then it's on to the next outrage.

Tomorrow is the debate. At least one outrage will come from that.

So if anyone wants to argue about Trump's taxes, the clock is ticking.....

That’s the problem....if nobody cares then we should just stop having elections.

If you do not care about this then you do not care about anything.

Board footer