You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

The 2020s are going to be a terrible decade when it comes to the loss of the surviving icons from the 60s-80s.

It's scary.
I shudder to think the day a GN'R member passes. I will be devastated and it could be sooner than we think with the way these guys lived in the day and the way some of them still do.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

I know the global consensus is that the downward spiral started with Van Hagar...and there is a drop in quality no doubt...but 5150 has some damn good songs.

Best of Both Worlds
Dreams
Love Walks In

OU812 has a legacy of crap production but Finish What  Ya Started IMO is one of the best songs in the discography. It's the most Roth like song from Van Hagar.

After those two albums, other than a couple songs, they lost me.

I loved Diver Down. Brings back memories of 4th grade. I got into it after 1984 blew up. It's a really fun album. Gonna download it. I only have the hits albums on my computer now.

I should give Balance a listen. I hated it back then and never bothered with it again.

Oh I actually like Van Hagar. Wasn't too into them overall at the time, a friend had OU812 and I always liked the songs to it, you're right about good production quality. I'd be curious to listen to FUCK again. The songs were good (Poundcake, Right Now) but the times & era wasn't really theirs to us younger people.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I actually tried listening to the Gary Cherone record the other night and couldn't get past the first song. I'll give it another try.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
misterID wrote:

I actually tried listening to the Gary Cherone record the other night and couldn't get past the first song. I'll give it another try.

Also not Gary's fault but an objectively terrible record outside of the single.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I was a massive Van Hagar fan for years, and actually preferred it to the DLR era. F.U.C.K. is a fantastic hard rock album, as is Balance. I was gutted we never got a follow up to that album, and now we never will.

But, the reunion album with DLR, A Different Kind of Truth, is fantastic, and way better than it deserved to be for a band so late into their career.
It was that album that made go back and rediscover the early DLR albums, and thus I became a massive fan of those too.

Like others have said here, there will never be another EVH, a true innovator of the instrument. And the world is a sadder place without him here.

#fuckcancer
#fuck2020

Sky Dog wrote:

My first favorite hard rock band....early 80’s. I was fifteen at the time. There will never be another EVH. 9

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Absolutely devasated. sad Glad I was able to see him and the band back in 2012. Finally he can rest now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

The 2020s are going to be a terrible decade when it comes to the loss of the surviving icons from the 60s-80s.

It's scary.

Absolutely....and for a much bigger reason than any specific celebrities dying.

Our whole world is wrapping up. Within the next 10-20 years(give or take)most of the people alive during those times will be dead... including us.

20 years go by in a flash. Hell...it's been 12 years since CD's release....14 since this community started on Roses of Velvet.

It's like Kevin says at the end of The Wonder Years...."One minute you're in diapers, the next minute you're gone".

This line of thinking really trips me out sometimes....how time just gets away from you and before you know it, you're staring down the barrel of 50.

Yeah GNR deaths will be a huge blow. Same with Ric Flair for me.

Sky Dog wrote:

Love the Nature Boy.....woooooo!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Ughh, so sad. Sammy Hagars comments on EVH:  https://people.com/music/sammy-hagar-ed … f2AO27XrM4

"I would love you to share that Eddie and I had been texting, and it's been a love fest since we started communicating earlier this year," Hagar said in the letter. "We both agreed not to tell anyone because of all the rumors it would stir up about a reunion, et cetera, and we both knew that wasn't going to happen. But he also didn't want anyone to know about his health."

"He stopped responding to me a month ago, and I figured it wasn't good," Hagar continued. "I reached out one more time last week and when he didn't respond, I figured it was a matter of time, but it came way too soon."

Board footer