You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Holiday Movies/Music

misterID wrote:

Can't believe I forgot Charlie Brown Christmas. American Dad has pretty much become a Christmas staple, too.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Anyone have any fave holiday movies? Traditions?

Reason I ask mostly is I saw Home Alone promoted for Disney+ as the 30th anniversary of it (incredibly hard to believe), and, I was never a huge fan of this one, it is really good. Layered, with alot to it, and Macauley Culkin was a perfect fit. Watched it last night. seen it before but maybe never gave it a chance.

I may be a bit older than some of you. I was 17/senior in high school, and hated the hype & success of it, just didn't buy in. Which, now I look back, and wonder why I hated it, and also man, it woulda been a perfect movie to ask a girl out on a date on. Stupid me probably would rather drink beer & smoke cigarettes in a woods somewhere in the cold.

Yea...I mostly groan every time Home Alone comes on TV...

I don't even find Macauley that talented or interesting. He's just playing a little boy anyway....

I'm not a fan of slapstick comedy and the shows/movies that display children and babies outsmarting adults isn't entertaining to me in the least.

Plus...fucking Trump is in it.

Pretty sure Trump is in the 2nd one.  I went to the theater to watch that one on Christmas Day in 1991.  I always remember the end of that film.  It's a nice scene, that has always stayed with me, even though I don't think I've seen the film in it's entirety since then.

Will try to watch Scrooged, Planes Trains, Automobiles, and The Ice Harvest.  Will also try to catch the 1960's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Yes, I'm a sucker for those things.

I've already been listening to some Christmas Carols to get into the "holiday spirit".

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Reason I ask mostly is I saw Home Alone promoted for Disney+ as the 30th anniversary of it (incredibly hard to believe), and, I was never a huge fan of this one, it is really good. Layered, with alot to it, and Macauley Culkin was a perfect fit. Watched it last night. seen it before but maybe never gave it a chance.

I may be a bit older than some of you. I was 17/senior in high school, and hated the hype & success of it, just didn't buy in. Which, now I look back, and wonder why I hated it, and also man, it woulda been a perfect movie to ask a girl out on a date on. Stupid me probably would rather drink beer & smoke cigarettes in a woods somewhere in the cold.

I don't even find Macauley that talented or interesting. He's just playing a little boy anyway....

I'm not a fan of slapstick comedy and the shows/movies that display children and babies outsmarting adults isn't entertaining to me in the least.

Pretty sure Trump is in the 2nd one.  I went to the theater to watch that one on Christmas Day in 1991.  I always remember the end of that film.  It's a nice scene, that has always stayed with me, even though I don't think I've seen the film in it's entirety since then.

Will try to watch Scrooged, Planes Trains, Automobiles, and The Ice Harvest.  Will also try to catch the 1960's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Yes, I'm a sucker for those things.

I've already been listening to some Christmas Carols to get into the "holiday spirit".

Would you say this is the end of the John Hughes run?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Mitch, I'm pretty sure Biden could take office, the Bears win the Super Bowl, and covid is cured all within a 30 day period and you'd still find something to be miserable about. 16

Were you in the Chicago area during the Bulls run?  That had to be surreal, probably didn't know the legend of it at the time.

As to the holidays, yeah charlie Browns is great. I think PBS might be airing it this year after Apple bought/stole the rights to it, guess they're trying to save face after that deal a little bit. As for music, my faves are The Waitresses - Giftwrapping (unpopular opinion) and The Kinks - Father Christmas.  I think the Killers have a good Christmas song as well, there's some others.. Lennon.

Adam Sandler was on fire the night of the Channakuh song, he probably didn't realize how legendary that bit would become. Even Part 2 is great.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It amazes me how Ernest Saves Christmas never became a pop culture holiday staple.

They didn't promote it right and the fact most Ernest movies are shit did it no favors.

Black Christmas(the original) is my favorite Christmas movie and it'll never be topped.

Better Watch Out another great Christmas movie.

Board footer