You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: What Gn’R related thing still excites you?

monkeychow wrote:

What does my head in is that Axl turns 59 next month.

There's a pretty real chance that they use this year for make up shows and to test the waters post the virus. So even if Slash's hinted album does happen - it's quite likely to happen in 2022 when Axl is 60 years old.

The bit that's trippy is that when I started following the band Axl was in his late 20s.

When we were obsessing over madagascar at the rio show...he was 39.....

I'm not suggesting he owes us anything cos I know that's a criminal offense over in GNR land...but honestly it starts to fuck with my mind...the shear about of talent he has...and the resources available to make things happen that most don't....and to only do 1 album in a lifetime of time....I guess whatever makes him happy...but it's hard to process on some level. Not that I can judge him - I did less with my abilities such as they are...but it still fucks with the mind on occasion. Time is a weird thing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He wasted what should've been his prime.

It would be like Springsteen dropping out after Born in the USA and not doing anything substantial for 20+ years, Cornell quitting after Superunknown and not coming back  until his solo album Scream.

List goes on and on.

The world will never get to know what or how much music it lost out on.

To answer the OP question....

A new album of some sort and a UYI box set containing rough mixes and demos.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...a friend of mine who does photography recently discovered the out of town racetrack where GNR played here in 1993 has become derelict.

It sort of blew my mind as going to that show as a teen was one of the really formative experiences for me. To see it now - grass grown over the stands...all fucked up....it was surreal.

A similar thing for me is looking at the footage of the pontiac silverdome in ruins....when I must have watched Wrestlemania 3 on VHS thousands of times back in the day. It makes you feel old that's for sure.

Anyway sorry for the mostly OT post...just like it's kinda odd to me that it's almost like civilisation has risen and fallen...and I'm still hoping for some more GNR music hahahahahah

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah the passage of time is a killer....and things like rotting monuments to the pop culture of your youth reminds you of your own mortality.

Same thing happens with celebrity deaths.

I also hate how time seems to move faster as you age.

I'm 45 years old....same age my mom was in the year 2000. How's that even possible? tongue

You know how quick 20 years go by? If I make it  I'll be 65, my mom and most relatives dead, and majority of celebrities from our youth dead.

In other words....we've got less than two decades left of anything resembling the world we grew up in....then it's all over. Lights go out.

If I could save time in a bottle....

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah the passage of time is a killer....and things like rotting monuments to the pop culture of your youth reminds you of your own mortality.

Same thing happens with celebrity deaths.

I also hate how time seems to move faster as you age.

I'm 45 years old....same age my mom was in the year 2000. How's that even possible? tongue

You know how quick 20 years go by? If I make it  I'll be 65, my mom and most relatives dead, and majority of celebrities from our youth dead.

In other words....we've got less than two decades left of anything resembling the world we grew up in....then it's all over. Lights go out.

If I could save time in a bottle....

This thought definitely terrifies me. I never thought it would happen but it has...I don't recognize anything that my kids are doing. To my 11 year old step-daughter, GnR is nothing. She's hardly heard of them outside of a few songs but she couldn't say, 'oh, that's a guns n roses song.' She merely recognizes them.

What frightens me most is how little I understand why social media matters so much. All twitter, facebook, tiktok, instagram....all the others I can't even recognize. Would you believe I've never gone on reddit? Not because I'm against it....I'm just indifferent.

My mom actually went to see Gn'R in Madison, WI some time in the late 80s. I was like 5. I did experience the times a changing though...I first discovered Gn'R when I was a freshmen in high school...1998. The fact that I loved Gn'R alienated me. A decade earlier, it made you mainstream.

Gn'R is both irrelevant and almost non-existent on platforms that would allow them to be palatable to anyone who was born after 1990. Maybe earlier.

We're all here first and foremost bc we love Gn'R. It's been really difficult to peal back the curtain and really understand who these guys are so we're left to judging their behavior and trying to draw insights over a very long period of time.

The mystique of who these guys are still makes me wonder. Axl especially...

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

The Japanese have a nice term for the sentiment of recent posts - 'Mono no aware'. Loosely translates to "an awareness of impermanence , or transience of things, and both a transient gentle sadness (or wistfulness) at their passing as well as a longer, deeper gentle sadness about this state being the reality of life."

This is the main reason I booked my tickets for both New Zealand shows in November. This could be my last opportunity. I'm 43. I am starting to become more and more aware of my own mortality and those around me. I have known people my age who have passed away due to accidents or health. GN'R are certainly no spring chickens. All the more reason I want an Axl/Slash GN'R album bookending their career and not a Chinese mashup.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

a UYI box set containing rough mixes and demos.

This is a good call - the stripped back UYI Slash talked about without all the synths. Also, for the love of god - get Izzy's guitar more prominent in the mix

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

The Japanese have a nice term for the sentiment of recent posts - 'Mono no aware'. Loosely translates to "an awareness of impermanence , or transience of things, and both a transient gentle sadness (or wistfulness) at their passing as well as a longer, deeper gentle sadness about this state being the reality of life."

This is the main reason I booked my tickets for both New Zealand shows in November. This could be my last opportunity. I'm 43. I am starting to become more and more aware of my own mortality and those around me. I have known people my age who have passed away due to accidents or health. GN'R are certainly no spring chickens. All the more reason I want an Axl/Slash GN'R album bookending their career and not a Chinese mashup.

Yeah, it’s the same reason I bought tickets to their Sydney show this year too. I give them (Axl) shit for most of the time, but you never know when the next tour might end up being the last tour... the fact that they’re all still alive at this point is amazing really.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I was looking at some videos recently of Slash from 1997, performing live with Blackstreet at some awards show, and it’s so bizarre to me, that 5 years earlier Slash was a household name, and GN’R were the biggest band in the world. And here, 5 years later in 1997, most people in the crowd were probably scratching their heads at who he was. Such is the short life of popular music in the charts.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah it's surreal to me already to think about our childhoods. No internet. No phones. Stuff like VHS. But in other more subtle ways too - like living in Australia back then the availability of stuff like toys was nothing like today. Collecting stuff like WWF figures or He-Man and that kinda stuff only some of the figures would ever be available here - and there was no ability or expectation to fix anything like that.

Or i think about how I'd collect mags with pictures of GNR and guitars and stuff. Or even other stuff I liked - starwars and so on. Because like even an image of something you liked in that world was valuable.  Because we couldn't just dial up video and pictures of anything you like or have seen before on command like we can now. Even though we all lived it - it's hard to imagine that world now.

Some of the celebrity deaths made me feel that sense of the world changing too. Even ones I was only mildly aware of. For instance prince - I like a handful of his songs and respect his playing - but overall most of his stuff was a different style than what I normally listen to - so not a deep fan - but never the less - there's something weird about a world where prince doesn't exist anymore.

It's scary when you think Axl is almost 60, Steven Spielberg is 74, Ridley Scott is 83.

Although we didn't get our flying cars the future is starting to look like it will not be like our society all that much - AI is real now, even stuff like deep faking, I could go on and on it blows my mind. And who knows how things will look given the long term heath effects of corona and so on.

mitchejw wrote:

What frightens me most is how little I understand why social media matters so much. All twitter, facebook, tiktok, instagram....all the others I can't even recognize.

Yeah that frightens me too. It's not like I was a technophobe or anything growing up either , quite the opposite, but it's just like everything has moved away from our age now. I'm in my 40s but I feel more like 70 when it comes to some of the tech these days. It's not that i couldn't learn the gadgets - its that the whole sort of mindset and currency of it makes no sense. Like why is anyone on tik tok?

It's a worry to me too cos I just had a baby in 2020 and like now i'm wondering how I can raise her in this crazy world. I probably should have had kids younger. Like what use will dad's advice be on stuff like dating when every social aspect of everthing is nothing like what I experienced.

It was like that talking to my grandfather - he met my grandmother at a local dance, got a job by showing up at a place every day until they gave him something to do etc. Very interesting stories but a totally different world to our time so that you couldn't go out and replicate it. I feel the stories from our youth are almost further away now for the next generation.

jimmythegent wrote:

This is the main reason I booked my tickets for both New Zealand shows in November.

Yeah that played into my thinking in booking an aussie show even with the silly prices and the risk of Axl's voice etc. We're not getting younger, and neither are GNR - especially with their checkered pasts - some of that lifestyle can't be too kind on the body.

Board footer