You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Current Events Thread

slcpunk wrote:
James wrote:

Now McEnany is doing it as well.

They've all been told....quite harshly I would imagine....that this dystopic reality show we've endured for five years has been cancelled.

Sure seems like somebody talked to him. On the other hand, I can't help but think he's trying to cover his ass.

The Wall Street Journal Editorial board is also calling on Trump to resign now. I think everybody is ready for the reality presidency to end.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

(Unrelated)

In the first news report video James posted earlier (had trouble quoting on my phone) my favorite segment is about how grocers are using your data. As someone who works for a predominant player in the, ahem, data industry, it’s quite humorous to see how this has been happening for decades.

Would be interesting to watch. Yeah I remember when those 'supermarket cards' came out, it was a thing. Save money by being a member. lol, years later I learned its just so they can keep track of who I am (age, gender, buying habits) but also sell that data (age, zip code, approx salary/am I cheap or do I buy nice items).

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Tucker inflaming already. That fox news is in a different league to any other channel, absolutely discracefull. It needs to be nuked.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

A Capitol Police officer who was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher has died. I think he was on life support the past 24 hours.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Looks like they're seriously considering removing Trump for sedition. Interesting.

I want Cruz removed as well. Arrest Giuliani too... although he's a civilian so I'm not sure how they would proceed with that.

If we want to lower the chance of something like this or worse from happening again, have to go full scorched earth on these bastards. People have to relearn that there's consequences to your actions.

The faster we get back to a "normal" governement the better. Our country can't function with this chaos.  And we look like a GIGANTIC fuckup on the world stage.  I know that doesn't matter as much to others but if you're supposed to the World's superpower and one that everyone looks up to, shit like this can't and shouldn't happen.

I've been saying this for a long time. Keeping our country in a perpetual state of outrage and hyper-partisan trench warfare is going to lead to our collapse.

We got a taste of it yesterday.

Yes... normalcy is desperately needed. Across the board.

News needs to be tackled first.

Check this out....it's NBC Nightly News with Brokaw in the lead up to the Clinton-Dole election. Don't have to watch it all but notice the difference between that and the news of today.

24/7 news outlets also need to be reformed. No more sports entertainment outrage machines.

Cover the news.

Here's a CNN program in the 90s. To stick with the same theme, it's their coverage of the 96 election.

It's time to go back to that.

After we fix this, social media has to be tackled.

I've always agreed with you that the news needs to 'go back' to the way it was...but it doesn't address why there's such a demand. There is an enormous demand for news the way it's presented right now. There's no denying that...how do you address that? Does government have to regulate media? If so...how much? and How?

It's not going to be easy. We didn't get here overnight...and we won't transform it overnight. It took over a decade to become a monster and the Trump era took it off the rails on a crazy train.

I think over the course of a couple years they should start phasing out the panels of talking heads. It isn't necessary. Put those people on podcasts or blogs if you have to.

More emphasis on news. I don't give a fuck if Biden took a drink of water or walked down a flight of stairs the wrong way. Tell me in one segment what he did that day and move on to the next story.

This isn't supposed to be entertainment. Maybe have shows like CNN's Crossfire to see a bit of political sparring.

Start showing some feel good stories and less serious news in between the Doom and Gloom.

No partisan hacks giving us the news. We never knew who the Brokaws and Cronkites voted for or hated and we didn't need to know. Report the news...then get off the screen.

No more fake outrage or propaganda. Just because one loon spazzes out on twitter doesn't mean it's worthy of global coverage.

The country will have to be eased into the transition.

In the first news report video James posted earlier (had trouble quoting on my phone) my favorite segment is about how grocers are using your data

While watching that it dawned on me that the issues being discussed are more relevant now than they were back then.

Crazy.

don't think we'll ever be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube

I'm not very optimistic about our chances either but I want them to at least make a serious attempt to fix this madness.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

New Trump video

[/embed]

WOW.

He was definitely told by more powerful and/or more badass people that his shit show is over.

He's just reading a teleprompter and all his false bravado is gone. He even had to condemn his own base.

This is Trump eating crow. It's not a bad speech but I'm not giving him credit because if he had any say whatsoever, it's an entirely different speech. It would've been rants about fake news, Antifa, congratulating the "patriots" who went there to "stop the steal" and more gaslighting and grifting.

It's over.

Can't wait to find out the behind the scenes story regarding what really happened. Probably won't hear about it until he's out of office.

It's going to be blue skies from here on out until he leaves. On his part anyways...his hardcore supporters on the other hand....

Did he really say that his "focus is on a smooth, seamless and orderly transition"

Bruh lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:
James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

New Trump video

[/embed]

WOW.

He was definitely told by more powerful and/or more badass people that his shit show is over.

He's just reading a teleprompter and all his false bravado is gone. He even had to condemn his own base.

This is Trump eating crow. It's not a bad speech but I'm not giving him credit because if he had any say whatsoever, it's an entirely different speech. It would've been rants about fake news, Antifa, congratulating the "patriots" who went there to "stop the steal" and more gaslighting and grifting.

It's over.

Can't wait to find out the behind the scenes story regarding what really happened. Probably won't hear about it until he's out of office.

It's going to be blue skies from here on out until he leaves. On his part anyways...his hardcore supporters on the other hand....

Did he really say that his "focus is on a smooth, seamless and orderly transition"

Bruh lol

tongue

He didn't write a single word of that...but notice something else....

He didn't veer offscript even once. He's the king of flying off the handle in three shakes of a lamb's tail and ranting about a hundred things at once.

The real doozy was having to condemn his base for storming the Capitol. He never would've said that unless forced to.

I just saw on Reddit conservative some people wondering if Trump is still in control of the executive branch. lol

Even the hardcores  following him are picking up on the drastic change in tone.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I think over the course of a couple years they should start phasing out the panels of talking heads. It isn't necessary. Put those people on podcasts or blogs if you have to.

More emphasis on news. I don't give a fuck if Biden took a drink of water or walked down a flight of stairs the wrong way. Tell me in one segment what he did that day and move on to the next story.

This isn't supposed to be entertainment. Maybe have shows like CNN's Crossfire to see a bit of political sparring.

Start showing some feel good stories and less serious news in between the Doom and Gloom.

No partisan hacks giving us the news. We never knew who the Brokaws and Cronkites voted for or hated and we didn't need to know. Report the news...then get off the screen.

No more fake outrage or propaganda. Just because one loon spazzes out on twitter doesn't mean it's worthy of global coverage.

The country will have to be eased into the transition.

Yes.  This.  I just sometimes want the news and not just news of the story of the moment but actual other stories of other states and/or countries.  I don't need the anchors (the news ones) pontificating for five minutes with their personal thoughts (don't care if I agree or not).  They are there to report the news.  That means reading it correctly and conveying the facts and stories to the audience.

If you need one of those political analysts; use a non partisan one, or one respected by both sides like David Gergen or whatever or Jeff Greefield.  Sometimes you don't need to give both sides, that cuts out a lot of bs.

And for fucks sake make sure that the stories are factually correct.  And please do not give news stories that are rumors or just bullshit any light of day.  One of the worst things that has happened to journalism is that fake news shit by people who don't like what's being reported.  So they just say fake news and disparage the reporter who has worked hard and has several sources to back them up.  Gives light of day to those crackpot theories/people like the Q'Anon stuff.

Who knew that one episode of the Simpsons in the 90s could be so prophetic?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
bigbri wrote:

New Trump video

[/embed]

Looks like a Sassy Justice deepfake.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
bigbri wrote:

New Trump video

[/embed]

Looks like a Sassy Justice deepfake.

Not sure if you’re joking, but we watched it when it premiered on CNN and my wife said it looked way fake. I just figured it was our cable.

Board footer