You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

The backpedaling has officially begun....

Manchin just said "Absolutely not!" on any 2k stimulus.

That means Dems would need Republicans to help pass it.

I know what's probably going to happen....they'll keep the stimulus out of the news cycle so no one focuses on it. With Trump on the way out, they don't have to harp on it.

The Dems shit show has officially begun. They've got two years until losing the house and senate.

These cycles are so predictable. Talk a big game when you're in the minority but as soon as power is handed to you, it's obvious that you didn't support it in the first place.

Can we at least wait until Biden takes office before we criticize the 2021-23 era?

Maybe aim this at the people making these announcements.  Doesn't he have bigger fish to fry at the moment? Apparently not.

I'm not going to hold my tongue when they start backpedaling.

When Trump backpedals the Earth instantly shakes from everyone stomping their feet.

The timing of his statement is interesting...and it's by design. The disastrous near coup is dominating the news cycle. He planted this seed a bit under the radar.

I'm not seeing anything from Biden on this are you? I only see Manchin saying 'hell no' basically.

I don't think it's dead only because there appears to be some bi-partisan support for this, like Rubio even that sycophant Hawley appears to  be for it.

To paraphrase John Kerry....

They'll be for it until they're against it.

If the Dems need the GOP to pass their main promises, it's going to get ugly very quickly.

DC is a difference case from Puerto Rico and Guam and others....don't those respective countries have to vote to join? I don't remember the status details of a commonwealth or a protectorate.

Are you saying that if they wanted to join you'd be against it?

I think Puerto Rico should've become a state in the 90s. If memory serves me correctly, it was close but they voted against it.

Guam or some other US base in the Pacific? No...it isn't necessary.

I don't know what is or isn't necessary...but is it a requirement that the plot of land be in the contiguous 48 states? Obviously not...but since the last states to join the union did so in the 1950s...I'm not knowledgeable about the process.

As I understand it, each state applied to join the union and then did so with some sort of federal consent. I'm fairly certain anyone could technically 'apply.'

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Manchin is barely a Democrat. I expect he’ll be primaried.

And he'll lose to a republican.

They may have to start courting Romney....as insane as that sounds. You're gonna need at least 1 or 2 Republicans in lockstep if these Manchin types start trying to control the narrative.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not seeing anything from Biden on this are you? I only see Manchin saying 'hell no' basically

Of course Biden isn't going to say anything about this subject yet. He's not insane. He's also got other priorities at the moment.

I'm shocked Manchin said it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

I'm not seeing anything from Biden on this are you? I only see Manchin saying 'hell no' basically

Of course Biden isn't going to say anything about this subject yet. He's not insane. He's also got other priorities at the moment.

Biden backs the $2000 checks, but the covid vaccine has to be priority #1. This pandemic is raging out of control. Hospitals are gonna have to stop taking patients at all if this keeps up.

We've somehow got to get more vaccines out there and actually administered. An actual federal plan, one Trump never implemented, would help. Using the defense production act, which Trump also never implemented, will also help.

There needs to be mass drive-thru vaccinations at stadiums, churches, arenas, wherever people can get in long-ass lines. Our gargantuan zoos are closed in Chicago. Use those parking lots.

My wife and son have deadly peanut, lentil, and pea allergies. Our hospitals are running about 80% full here. In a month's time, if they had an episode, I doubt they'd get the care they need.

This virus mutation is gonna burn through our lazy population, it's scary to think about.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

Biden backs the $2000 checks, but the covid vaccine has to be priority #1. This pandemic is raging out of control. Hospitals are gonna have to stop taking patients at all if this keeps up.

We've somehow got to get more vaccines out there and actually administered. An actual federal plan, one Trump never implemented, would help. Using the defense production act, which Trump also never implemented, will also help.

There needs to be mass drive-thru vaccinations at stadiums, churches, arenas, wherever people can get in long-ass lines. Our gargantuan zoos are closed in Chicago. Use those parking lots.

My wife and son have deadly peanut, lentil, and pea allergies. Our hospitals are running about 80% full here. In a month's time, if they had an episode, I doubt they'd get the care they need.

This virus mutation is gonna burn through our lazy population, it's scary to think about.

Yeah, I was reading about some of the stuff in LA and their hospitals and it's really scary.  It's gotten so bad that they have to set up temporary morgues.

There is a far greater demand (of the vaccine) than supply at this point.

And those nuts jeering Graham need to be taken out or whatever.  I'm not defending Graham who is a weasel but these clowns started chanting traitor at Mitt Romney during a recent flight.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

This is much closer to Manchin's quote than what was originally posted about in this thread.

Manchin basically said that $2000 checks are not a priority over getting the virus back under control. The reporter used the headline 'Manchin doesn't support $2000 checks' or something of that nature.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The 'doubling rate' is also scary.  Right now I think it's about 6 weeks, and its at 3,000 a day.  So by the end of February it could be 6,000 a day.  Where it gets scary is in early April, the tail end of winter, could then be 12,000 a day?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The 'doubling rate' is also scary.  Right now I think it's about 6 weeks, and its at 3,000 a day.  So by the end of February it could be 6,000 a day.  Where it gets scary is in early April, the tail end of winter, could then be 12,000 a day?

I think over 4,000 people died yesterday. That's truly frightening and exponential growth is something to contend with. 

I know and ICU nurse who is younger (24) who had the Pfizer vaccine with no side effects. A physician I know who is in her 50s, just got her Moderna shot with zero issues as well.

We need a WW2 effort to expedite this vaccine out into our country. This was something trump was unwilling or simply unable to do. I trust that Biden (or frankly any person with his experience regardless of political affiliation) will be able to get this ramped up within the first quarter of the year and hopefully fully running by the summer/fall. We have the infrastructure and money to do this on a mass scale, we simply need leadership. There is no way in hell trump's chaotic administration could address this. In the meantime it's going to be dire and only get worse until we're there.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Some of the stuff that has come out today is truly scary and frightening.  We were real close to a massacre.  Some of these traitors had zipties and, molotov cocktails and rifles.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Some of the stuff that has come out today is truly scary and frightening.  We were real close to a massacre.  Some of these traitors had zipties and, molotov cocktails and rifles.

Indeed. I hope they keep arresting these mofos. It could have been much worse.

Board footer