You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: who all here owns a gun?

mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I can offer a tip. Dont pull out a gun unless you're going to pull the trigger. I had a friend who made that mistake and paid for it. Go to a shooting range. Try out some models. See what your comfortable with and go from there. A lot of ranges offer lessons and information and can help you make the choice thats best for you.

How did he pay the price if you don't mind me asking?

The other guy intended on pulling the trigger. Now my buddy walks like an asshole cause he used a gun as a backbone. Firm believer in guns aren't for everyone. You need to look within and ask yourself if you really should possess something so powerful and answer yourself honestly.

Up until now...the answer was no. I didn't want the responsibility nor did I want the potential consequences.

But it just seems to me that there are tons of people who shouldn't have a gun that already do.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

If you think carrying an unloaded one is any kind of deterrent,  you might as well get an airsoft if that is your goal.  But if you insist, don't get anything under a .45.  9mm doesn't do dick and over penetrates creating a wound channel and not knockdown power.  Google knockdown power for each caliber.  9mm will go through your wall and your neighbors, a 45 will mushroom and just create a big hole.  This assumes you want something for outside the home. If you're strictly worried about home defense, a shotgun is your best bet.  Just make sure you get buckshot and not bird shot.

if you've never fired a gun before, you should go to an indoor range and practice with a .22 caliber handgun to get the basics of marksmanship down.  There's no recoil at this caliber, and shooting bigger ones without any experience will result in a flinch that is hard to correct.  None of that matters in the heat of the moment, but muscle memory is very real.  You should also look at self defense ammunition - I really like Hydra-shok, but your local gun store will be able to point you in the right direction.  This ammunition is designed to fragment once entering the body, thus hitting more soft tissue and creating more injury.  The goal of firing a gun is to kill someone, I know you know this.  But really think on that and if you're truly capable of pulling that trigger when you or your loved ones are in jeopardy.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If you think carrying an unloaded one is any kind of deterrent,  you might as well get an airsoft if that is your goal.  But if you insist, don't get anything under a .45.  9mm doesn't do dick and over penetrates creating a wound channel and not knockdown power.  Google knockdown power for each caliber.  9mm will go through your wall and your neighbors, a 45 will mushroom and just create a big hole.  This assumes you want something for outside the home. If you're strictly worried about home defense, a shotgun is your best bet.  Just make sure you get buckshot and not bird shot.

if you've never fired a gun before, you should go to an indoor range and practice with a .22 caliber handgun to get the basics of marksmanship down.  There's no recoil at this caliber, and shooting bigger ones without any experience will result in a flinch that is hard to correct.  None of that matters in the heat of the moment, but muscle memory is very real.  You should also look at self defense ammunition - I really like Hydra-shok, but your local gun store will be able to point you in the right direction.  This ammunition is designed to fragment once entering the body, thus hitting more soft tissue and creating more injury.  The goal of firing a gun is to kill someone, I know you know this.  But really think on that and if you're truly capable of pulling that trigger when you or your loved ones are in jeopardy.

I appreciate your advice. I know you have a great deal of knowledge on this subject. I am going to take this very slow but it is something I've been seriously thinking about since the beginning of the pandemic.

I really like the idea of rubber bullets or something that I know likely wouldn't kill someone because as you mentioned...I don't know if I have it in me to kill someone even if they were a threat to me.

Anyway...I know I have a lot to learn and don't plan on rushing through any of it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Before you do it I would have a read of this type of data:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

I understand the desire to protect your family but in many cases the best way to do this is to stay away from guns.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't, can't say I have interest in it. It crosses my mind now & then tho. When I read things like 'Look inside and ask if you can pull the trigger' or 'Be sure your gonna use it', not trying to say I'm anti-gun or a pacifist, I think something else is I don't wanna use it at the wrong time.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've never even held a real gun.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

And I swear it
I don’t have a gun
I don’t have a gun
No I don’t have a gun

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Wagszilla wrote:

And I swear it
I don’t have a gun
I don’t have a gun
No I don’t have a gun

this is a GN'R forum, Nirvana is banned.  16

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

And I swear it
I don’t have a gun
I don’t have a gun
No I don’t have a gun

this is a GN'R forum, Nirvana is banned.  16

I give this my full-throated support! I think it’s in the forum rules.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I own a shotgun.

I've had guns pulled on me years ago during drug deals. While every situation is different obviously, I do have a tip if you find yourself in a similar situation...

Don't break eye contact. Don't look at the gun either.  Make him break eye contact first. Don't start crying, begging, etc. When they realize you're not intimidated, it loses its power and they have no leverage. They're just an idiot holding a gun running their mouth.

They'll put it away because they clearly had no intention of using it and keeping it out makes them look more foolish.

Mitch.... don't ever pull out an unloaded gun on someone. It'd be better to pull out a water gun so the tension can be laughed away.

Board footer