You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

This is not the 19th or 20th century, the present issue of ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, not legal immigration, is Biden laxing immigration laws and allowing them into the country, most likely with covid infection, while not allowing ICE to track them down (even their Twitter account is frozen) as more and more are coming with disastrous results (like the crash just killed a bunch of illegal aliens; more people are being emboldened to make this journey, including unaccompanied minors) he refuses to say it's a crisis or treat it as such. That's the issue right now. Not slavery.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Will Biden ever give a presser?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Biden handlers won’t even let him answer a question.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

This is not the 19th or 20th century, the present issue of ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, not legal immigration, is Biden laxing immigration laws and allowing them into the country, most likely with covid infection, while not allowing ICE to track them down (even their Twitter account is frozen) as more and more are coming with disastrous results (like the crash just killed a bunch of illegal aliens; more people are being emboldened to make this journey, including unaccompanied minors) he refuses to say it's a crisis or treat it as such. That's the issue right now. Not slavery.

Yes... it’s understood...the punishment for trying to enter the US has been losing your children and being treated like a criminal.

My point is what’s ‘illegal’ is largely based on who is in power.

How many people passed the Statue of Liberty on a boat ‘give me your tired and your poor? I’ll bet many came in illegally. Because what’s legal or a product of context.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yes... it’s understood...the punishment for trying to enter the US has been losing your children and being treated like a criminal.

How many people passed the Statue of Liberty on a boat ‘give me your tired and your poor? I’ll bet many came in illegally. Because what’s legal or a product of context.

No it's not, when you break into the country illegally, it's illegal. You cannot illegally cross the boarder no matter who is in power. It's not a matter of context. You're intentionally conflating legal immigration with illegal immigration to try to pass it off as racist. No, you're not getting away with that. Immigration is great, and it's a slap in the face to immigrants to capitulate to illegals breaking the rules and being allowed into the country.

Btw, you want to talk about history? We denied entry to just as many immigrants as we let in back in the day on Ellis Island, when they passed the statue of liberty. It was called heartbreak island. So stop with the revisionist history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Eight Democratic senators voted along with Republicans to put the kibosh to the minimum wage increase.

Same as it ever was....

It's obvious they use the same play from the Republican playbook....when you want to get out of actually doing anything  substantial that doesn't include defense spending, trillion dollar tax cuts for the rich, and corporate welfare, they allow a handful of their party members to take the temporary heat for blocking an agenda they never intended to follow through on in the first place while the rest get a free pass.

It's beyond sickening.

I'm not even arguing for or against it.... just stating a simple fact.

I'm calling it now.... nothing substantial will get done the next two years. We will then see the Republicans take the House and Senate.

Unless The Rock has a Trump like rise to the presidency...or Will Smith who is apparently thinking about jumping in to politics....

Republicans will take the presidency in 2024.

For people who claimed a fascist takeover was  a cunt hair away from happening and we must prevent it from ever gaining momentum again, they sure aren't doing anything to actually lead us in the right direction.

They are controlled opposition at this point.

Edit

I am no longer buying the too convenient excuse that Republicans and Manchin are to blame for blocking their so called agenda.

They are blocking it themselves.

Go back to 2009...they had a filibuster proof majority for two years and the only substantial thing they did was gutting their own health care bill so them and the insurance lobby could get mega rich.

Why didn't they push a $15 minimum wage back then? Because like now, there was no real intention of passing it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Here's and unpopular take: JFK was a terrible president and Nixon was underrated. When JFK stole the election from Nixon it broke him mentally.

Nixon created the EPA. He nearly had universal healthcare coverage for all Americans, which was killed, ironically, by Ted Kennedy. He wanted to pass a version of Universal Basic Income for the poor but never got the chance (against the wishes of the Ayn Rand acolytes that would soon take over the Republican party). The more I read about JFK the more I'm disgusted. He accomplished nothing but got all the credit of what Johnson did when it was clear he had no intention of doing any of it.

Really, if you could create a real life President the way progressives and dems build Trump as, it would be JFK. I'll never understand JFK or Trump worship.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Only good thing about JFK was his handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Also...his iconic speech about going to the Moon by decades end definitely gave the space program a shot of adrenaline.

He was a clusterfuck in all other areas.

The Bay of Pigs fiasco looks even worse in hindsight and he's the one who kicked things up a notch in Vietnam.

A massive drug and sex addict telling state secrets nonchalantly in bed to lovers... including Marilyn Monroe.

He smoked joints laced with LSD with Mary Meyer.

He fucked Mob mistresses.

He was a huge security risk.

I'm not a fan of Nixon but yeah.... like Teddy Roosevelt, he genuinely cared about this country and the Republican party needs to get back to those roots somehow.

If they could....they'd never lose an election again.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

No it's not, when you break into the country illegally, it's illegal. You cannot illegally cross the boarder no matter who is in power. It's not a matter of context. You're intentionally conflating legal immigration with illegal immigration to try to pass it off as racist. No, you're not getting away with that. Immigration is great, and it's a slap in the face to immigrants to capitulate to illegals breaking the rules and being allowed into the country.

Btw, you want to talk about history? We denied entry to just as many immigrants as we let in back in the day on Ellis Island, when they passed the statue of liberty. It was called heartbreak island. So stop with the revisionist history.

People cross the border illegally and legally all the time.

I just don’t believe it matters to those that hate immigration whether they came here legally or not. That’s why i don’t distinguish between the two. Trumpers and right wingers hide behind that ‘we love LEGAL immigrants’...bullshit...it’s pure and utter bullshit and now you’re the one revising history.

What they mean is they want more white immigrants from specific European countries. Trump made that pretty god damn clear.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Here's and unpopular take: JFK was a terrible president and Nixon was underrated. When JFK stole the election from Nixon it broke him mentally.

Nixon created the EPA. He nearly had universal healthcare coverage for all Americans, which was killed, ironically, by Ted Kennedy. He wanted to pass a version of Universal Basic Income for the poor but never got the chance (against the wishes of the Ayn Rand acolytes that would soon take over the Republican party). The more I read about JFK the more I'm disgusted. He accomplished nothing but got all the credit of what Johnson did when it was clear he had no intention of doing any of it.

Really, if you could create a real life President the way progressives and dems build Trump as, it would be JFK. I'll never understand JFK or Trump worship.

How can you criticize Kennedy for Vietnam but give Nixon a pass?!?

Let’s not forget Kennedy had his head blown off 2 years into his term.

Board footer