You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

It's not an election year, who cares what people think right now?

Look at things how they are. Of course the economy isn't hot, the world is now on the slow march out of a 18 month pandemic that globally is not fully over. You have new variants surging all over the world where they are not as far ahead as Western countries with vaccination and those variants are causing trouble in places like the US, where you starting to have this "pandemic of the unvaccinated" problem. Markets are rightly getting spooked because the road out of Covid isn't as rosy as they thought it was. This is going to be a slow two steps forward and one step back march out of this.

Criticise Joe "I Belive in Science" Biden for his handling of this since he took over. Or criticise him for his hawkish approach to Cuba. Or criticise him for sometimes appearing rambly and incoherent. Criticise the rushed pull out of Afghanistan.

But don't get worked by opinion polls and get sucked into the horse race. Look at hard stats for things that are actually happening and nail him for the things he does and says. Not what some Fox, CNN, or MSNBC poll says about what people think - that shit's for commentators to use to predict future elections, not a reason to dunk on him.

Good point.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I can't wait for this bullshit about these fake police on capital hill to pass...fake police

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, Mitch.  If by turn and pivot you mean cite and structure out arguments for my posts, you got me.  You should try it for once.

Imagine using the same source to support a conflicting set of arguments.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Biden’s numbers are tanking. Our country is not in a good state right now.

James made this comment too. Where are you guys seeing this?  He’s holding steady around 50%.  His high was 56%, and he’s declined 3% points each quarter. He’s still 10 points higher than Trump was at this point. A 6 point drop 6 months into his Presidency doesn’t meet my definition of tanking, but I’m interested to see why you and James feel he’s on a downward projectory.

I think you meant....'trajectory'

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sad news....

ZZ Top's longtime bassist, Dusty Hill, has died ... TMZ has learned.

Dusty passed away at his home in Houston, TX -- this according to his bandmates, Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard.

They write, "We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX.  We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C." The boys add, "You will be missed greatly, amigo."

Unclear if Dusty's death is in any way related to another health scare he recently suffered -- namely, a hip injury that the band said he had to address in the past week or so, forcing him to bow out of a string of shows across the U.S. with his bandmates.

Gonna listen to them today. Great stuff.

Any of you guys ever dive into their 70s material? It's... different to say the least.

There's a glitch at the moment and can't create new topics.... that's why I'm posting it here.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Yeah, sad news. Dusty was a great bass player. Listen to Cheap Sunglasses, the last couple of minutes outro, Dusty’s got a fantastic groove locked in with Frank.

That and Fool for your Stockings, great stuff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This covid thing is an absolute mess. I've been reading there are members of the Biden administration siding with republicans with how the media and some dems are fear mongering the delta variant, screwing up the work they've done to get people vaccinated. They think the media is using the virus to help boost ratings/subscriptions because they've plummeted since Trump left office. It's just ridiculous, they have no idea what their message is.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

This covid thing is an absolute mess. I've been reading there are members of the Biden administration siding with republicans with how the media and some dems are fear mongering the delta variant, screwing up the work they've done to get people vaccinated. They think the media is using the virus to help boost ratings/subscriptions because they've plummeted since Trump left office. It's just ridiculous, they have no idea what their message is.

The message is outrage....lots and lots of outrage to be spun 24/7 to keep the plebs riled up.

I'm wondering if TPTB are now worrying about it coming back and biting them on the ass.

You want mass chaos and revolt....both sides of the plebs uniting will kick things up a notch.

I've said it before but I'll say it again....

The world has to move on from Covid. It's driving everyone crazy and we've now reached the point where a lot of pro-vax, pro-mask people are saying fuck it and they're not putting masks back on.

People are looking back on the past year and a half as a complete waste and the only thing accomplished was the largest transfer of wealth in history...and one side can't be blamed for this.

The dystopic clown world is obviously here to stay...but they're going to have to let us move on to the next chapter.

It's bad here but Europe is really on edge.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Florida had 21,000+ covid positives today.  I personally would have waited before opening stuff back up in May (or whenever that was) and telling everyone that they didn't need to wear masks.  They did fuck that part up since they are now doing the reverse message.

James

James wrote:

The whole thing has been a clusterfuck of confusion, contradiction, and partisan bickering since day one.

Masks don't work...until they do....then you don't need them...until you do...then you need two masks....until you dont...vaccinated don't need masks... until they do.....

....and that's just from the CDC!

The same people demanding everyone be vaccinated or you're a piece of shit are the same people who said that they wouldn't trust a Trump vaccine a year ago.

Those who aren't vaccinated are labeled Trump Nazis even though a huge portion of unvaccinated are minorities. This is ignored because it would be racist to point it out. Even vaccinated people are starting to bring this idiocy up.

BLM protests and riots were safe from Covid but Trump rallies and restaurants were "super spreaders". It's the first virus in history that can pick and choose which group it wants to infect.

When they considered closing the borders last year...not a bad idea during a pandemic...it was deemed racist and Pelosi demanded everyone go shop in Chinatown to support Asians....this when there were no vaccines.

When Mom and Pop had to shut down their businesses...our government (both sides) allowed corporations to run full throttle.

When families were told to sit in their homes and rot during the holidays with no family get togethers....our politicians were going home having huge get togethers and going on vacation.

You weren't allowed to go get a haircut....were mocked for suggesting it...but our politicians went to salons and didn't give a flying fuck what you thought about it.

People are sick of it.

Board footer