You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

AtariLegend wrote:

Title says it all.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The Afghan President has been evacuated from the country. It's over.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I must admit…my days of keeping up with Afghanistan are long behind me…but i do recall that a number of high ranking members of the Afghan government were playing both sides. My guess is that those that remain in high positions of government were the most sympathetic to Al-Qaeda

misterID

misterID wrote:

From the Wall Street Journal:

"Biden overruled his top military commanders--Gen. Frank McKenzie, Gen. Austin Scott Miller, and Gen. Mark Milley--who recommended the US keep 2500 troops in Afghanistan while stepping up diplomacy to try to cement a peace agreement."

The moment they pulled the intelligence and armed support, the Afghan army collapsed. The military literally drove our equipment to Iran, who will now have our tech.

Same guy who told Obama not to take out bin Laden.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

And Biden also just deployed 1k 82nd soldiers with another 3k on the way to maintain the Afghani government. So he’s not doing what Obama did. I don’t know what the future holds, but we either leave an indefinite force in every nation we conquer, or we don’t and the power vacuum is filled by the the strongest force.

We just spent the past 15 years or so saying we’re going to pull out shortly. Trump wanted us out by last Christmas. Biden just delayed it  by 8 months.

Yes, President’s overrule generals every day. That’s how it’s supposed to work. I know the far left was giddy at the idea the Joint Chiefs would ignore Trump and refuse his withdraw order last fall. But people not bound to partisan idiocy generally agree civilian control of the military is a good thing.

Trump used a MOAB on the Taliban, the biggest bomb since Nagasaki dropped in a military conflict. I’m hoping Biden will prevent the complete collapse of the Afghan government, but as someone who worked first hand with Afghani officers (and other officers from the Middle East) I can’t say I have a very high opinion of them or their military’s capability. So how does the US prevent the Nuclear capable Pakistan’s puppets in the Taliban from gaining complete control over Afghanistan?  And what weapons are we allowed to use to accomplish this?  The Biden administration won’t stop tens of thousands of Covid positive illegals entering our county each week, so my hopes aren’t high they’ll handle Afghanistan right. But he certainly showed a willingness to protect the Afghani government by authorizing another 4k combat troops. I just don’t want to see several hundred Americans die while Democrats decide how long they’ll wait before tossing in the towel eventually.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

And Biden also just deployed 1k 82nd soldiers with another 3k on the way to maintain the Afghani government. So he’s not doing what Obama did. I don’t know what the future holds, but we either leave an indefinite force in every nation we conquer, or we don’t and the power vacuum is filled by the the strongest force.

We just spent the past 15 years or so saying we’re going to pull out shortly. Trump wanted us out by last Christmas. Biden just delayed it  by 8 months.

Yes, President’s overrule generals every day. That’s how it’s supposed to work. I know the far left was giddy at the idea the Joint Chiefs would ignore Trump and refuse his withdraw order last fall. But people not bound to partisan idiocy generally agree civilian control of the military is a good thing.

Trump used a MOAB on the Taliban, the biggest bomb since Nagasaki dropped in a military conflict. I’m hoping Biden will prevent the complete collapse of the Afghan government, but as someone who worked first hand with Afghani officers (and other officers from the Middle East) I can’t say I have a very high opinion of them or their military’s capability. So how does the US prevent the Nuclear capable Pakistan’s puppets in the Taliban from gaining complete control over Afghanistan?  And what weapons are we allowed to use to accomplish this?  The Biden administration won’t stop tens of thousands of Covid positive illegals entering our county each week, so my hopes aren’t high they’ll handle Afghanistan right. But he certainly showed a willingness to protect the Afghani government by authorizing another 4k combat troops. I just don’t want to see several hundred Americans die while Democrats decide how long they’ll wait before tossing in the towel eventually.

Wait we’re bragging about the size of bombs we’re dropping now?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

If this is what $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000,000 got us after 15 years then this is what we deserve. How pathetic….we didn’t accomplish anything In 15 years. Not a damn thing. What an embarrassment!

misterID

misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I think he's equating the bomb used to the response.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

If this is what $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000,000 got us after 15 years then this is what we deserve. How pathetic….we didn’t accomplish anything In 15 years. Not a damn thing. What an embarrassment!

So far your response to this has been "Trump!" and "We deserve this!"

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
misterID wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I think he's equating the bomb used to the response.

Ok fair enough.

Board footer