You are not logged in. Please register or login.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

Re: The Wrestling thread

harmon420 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

DSotR Plane ride from hell episode wasn't very good imo...

Agreed. Most of this was already common knowledge amongst us IWC nerds. Not the best PR for Dreamer though. Yikes.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

DSotR Plane ride from hell episode wasn't very good imo...

Agreed. Most of this was already common knowledge amongst us IWC nerds. Not the best PR for Dreamer though. Yikes.

Almost everything I’ve ever seen in this series is simply a rehash of common knowledge…what i think is is shocking is how many people didn’t know any of this…

People born in the 90s are completely appalled by this…

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If you can, check out Kenny Omega vs Daniel Bryant. What a great match. AEW is a mesh of the best of WCW/NWA modernized.

misterID

misterID wrote:

If you guys haven't watched AEW you should give it a shot. These matches are insane. Its like the WCW cruiserweights, every match is basically Benoit vs Gurerro. Even Dustin Rhodes is kicking ass. It's the best shape I've ever seen him in.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Couple weeks ago on the classic wrestling forum I was reminded of how old Flair is....73.

I've been watching his 80s-90s stuff. I really hate how he allowed himself to be booked as a weak champion always needing the Horsemen to save him.

It was kinda cool back then...it's ridiculous in hindsight.

The guy can't even beat Ricky Morton clean...and most of his matches were ending in DQs.

Shit like this is why NWA couldn't take it to the next level in the mid 80s when they needed to.

The larger than life character of the Nature Boy is not supposed to translate into a chickenshit heel.

The only thing that saves him and keeps his legacy intact is the quality of opponents and some of the iconic matches. It allows him a free pass on the fuck ups.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm shocked you guys aren't watching AEW. Last night had Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard share a ring. I don't think I really fully appreciated their promo skills until now, and holy shit they totally fit in with modern wrestling. Blanchard's FTR tag team is like an ECW version of the Brainbusters. Really great stuff.

James

James wrote:

The dream match to end all dream matches that should've been bigger than Hogan vs Andre....

The intro to the potential feud was perfect...Flair coming in with the WCW world title and calling himself "the REAL World Champion". It kills two birds with one stone...it sets up the dream match while also introducing Flair as a big deal to the WWF audience that doesn't know him well if at all.

Then the mistakes kill it dead....

Going from Heenan to Mr. Perfect was dumb.

They didn't know how to properly execute it. Instead of going full throttle with a Hogan-Flair promo blitz leading to the dream match at WrestleMania, they decide to give it a test run at a handful of house shows.

Their styles don't mesh, and they don't know how to give the match a proper ending. The crowd reactions are mixed....helped by the matches not being pushed nationally... causing McMahon to get nervous and kill it.... leading to both men being in the main event at the next WrestleMania but not facing each other.

It's weird watching this now....the ultimate dream match of the 80s taking place at house shows in 1991. It's surreal.

On the other hand, I do understand McMahon's hesitation. He's pushed Hogan as a monster killer and here's this small technical heel wrestler with insane charisma who is supposed to be his toughest opponent ever.

As we all know, when Hogan went to WCW two years later, they went all in on Hogan-Flair and it was a clusterfuck.

I'm shocked you guys aren't watching AEW. Last night had Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard share a ring

I'm interested now. It's probably the last time to see these two.

James

James wrote:

Corporal Kirschner died.

RIP

I was never a big fan of the guy. Even to a kid he was obviously a Sgt. Slaughter clone. It severely limited what he could do in the WWF with only Sheik and Volkoff as the anti American heels.

Think I'll go back to mid 85-early 86 WWF and watch some of his stuff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I remember him

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I tried watching AEW and man it just looked low rent.

I couldn't see any announcers.

The production value looked like that WCW show in Orlando.

I mean they've got stars and talent, it just didn't look good.

And the selling and execution of wrestling moves was terrible.

Now I'm not a big WWE fan, I used to be. But, there product even though it is cringe, and pg, at least looked polished and professional.

Board footer