You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: NFL 2021-22 Season

FlashFlood wrote:

See you later, Jon Gruden. Yikes.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The Bears shit the bed again. They really need to win most of their division games if they want to have any chance at a wildcard.

FlashFlood wrote:

See you later, Jon Gruden. Yikes.

Yeah what a bizarre way to end his career.

Will be interesting to see how the Raiders handle the rest of the season... especially Carr.

I know you’re not a diehard

Used to be.

The league barely resembles what it was in the golden age.

I've been thinking about buying a ticket to a 49ers game. I don't really want to do this type of thing until the pandemic is over but it's hard to resist....tickets are actually reasonable now.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Holy fuck was yesterday intense as a Steelers fan. Those are two games that people will talk about 20 years from now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Im back to watching it. Had to since the playoffs are here.

Bears finally ditching coach and GM...long overdue.

That Rams-49ers game was a nail biter.

Can't believe the Ravens didn't make it to the playoffs.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Im back to watching it. Had to since the playoffs are here.

Bears finally ditching coach and GM...long overdue.

That Rams-49ers game was a nail biter.

Can't believe the Ravens didn't make it to the playoffs.

Ravens had waaay too many injuries and just couldn't survive losing Jackson + all the DB's

Bears should have flushed those guys LAST YEAR.

Some of the playoff games are interesting.  I think both of the Saturday AFC ones could end in upsets.  I think KC just trucks PIT on SNF though.

the 90s bowl of SF@ DAL should be interesting.  I think the other 2 home teams (TB and the LA Rams) both win.  Arizona has been pretty bad after the hot start.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

AFC is pretty wide open. There is no real favorite. Tennessee is probably the most complete team especially if Henry is back to somewhat normal. Chiefs D was playing real well for a stretch but they’ve regressed of late and their offense hasn’t really clicked all year. The Bills are up and down. Bengals finished strong but they are young and untested. Patriots have been bad since their bye aside from annihilating a very bad and Covid ridden Jaguars team at home. And I’m not sure how the Raiders and Steelers made it in. I think all the home teams should win, but that rarely happens so I’d expect at least 1 or 2 to slip up.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

AFC is pretty wide open. There is no real favorite. Tennessee is probably the most complete team especially if Henry is back to somewhat normal. Chiefs D was playing real well for a stretch but they’ve regressed of late and their offense hasn’t really clicked all year. The Bills are up and down. Bengals finished strong but they are young and untested. Patriots have been bad since their bye aside from annihilating a very bad and Covid ridden Jaguars team at home. And I’m not sure how the Raiders and Steelers made it in. I think all the home teams should win, but that rarely happens so I’d expect at least 1 or 2 to slip up.

I'm guessing the Bengals screw up and lose.  Maybe the Bills  too, they basically beat up on weak teams (KC win was early when Chiefs were struggling; and their only other good win is @ NE).  But ooof, weather on that game high of 9 degrees and low of 1 degree.

The Raiders can rush the passer and Carr isn't horrible.  I really wouldn't be surprised if CIN just turned it over a bunch of times (or missed a bunch of kicks) and lost.

Guess the only Sunday game that is of real interest to me is SF@DAL.   I think SF can control the clock with the run game and Jimmy G won't make a killer mistake.  But their secondary might get eaten up by those Dallas WR.

faldor

faldor wrote:

The Raiders have a decent roster but they’ve just had such a turbulent year with the Ruggs deadly DUI and Gruden getting fired for the whole email fiasco. It’s a testament that they were able to keep things together and make the playoffs.

Weather in Buffalo should favor the Pats slightly, but they have to play from ahead. Way too often this season they give up a TD on the opening drive, go 3 and out, and give up another score. They’re not built to play from behind on either side of the ball. Can’t stop the run on D and they want to run it on offense. Not a good recipe when down 2 or 3 scores.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

Weather in Buffalo should favor the Pats slightly, but they have to play from ahead. Way too often this season they give up a TD on the opening drive, go 3 and out, and give up another score. They’re not built to play from behind on either side of the ball. Can’t stop the run on D and they want to run it on offense. Not a good recipe when down 2 or 3 scores.

Makes sense.  I'd say Belicheck would employ the stop Allen gameplan and dare the Bills to run.   Watching both of the NE/BUF games, it seems the Bills moved the ball easily between the 20s and then just had issues after that (they'd make some stupid play call, usually a pass).  Honestly, BUF should have swept both games. I do think the Bills aren't very good at defending the run though.  And NE needs to run play action on early downs to avoid obvious passing situations.  Buffalo also doesn't run it enough, imo and that plays into NE hands.

In modern NFL, you have to be sucessful in the red zone.  NE can allow as much yards between the 20s as the want, if they limit BUF to FG (or turnovers) it's a win for them. Turnovers, big plays (sacks here) will also be key.  BUF is missing Tre'Davious White as well.

It's also a cold weather game which generally favors the better running team, in this case NE.  Take advantage of Smith and Henry at TE as well.  Buffalo better get ahead because NE can grind the shit out of the clock if they are ahead.  This just smells like one of those games where Belicheck takes away Diggs and plays two deep safeties and basically dares BUF to run (aside: seen that movie before 2019 WC game vs TEN).

faldor

faldor wrote:

It is the best matchup for New England since they know the Bills well and they don’t really want to run the ball. But the defense needs to play much better than they did the last time they met. They could not stop them on 3rd and 4th down. And Isaiah McKenzie had a career day against the Pats 4th CB (Myles Bryant) who may have to log heavy minutes this week with Jalen Mills on the Covid list. Bryant was so bad, I couldn’t believe they kept trotting him out there. Jackson held his own against Diggs and he wasn’t a major factor. It was the ancillary pieces that killed them. Plus Allen threw a couple balls that should have been picked, one to Jackson who is usually pretty sure handed. Those could changed the trajectory of the game.

Bills are a more talented team without a doubt. Pats need to get off to a good start and keep it close to have a chance at pulling off the upset. They ran the ball well the first meeting even though everyone knew that’s all they were doing, but they’ve been getting beat at the line of scrimmage lately on both sides. Can’t have that. They can win for sure, but I don’t have much confidence that they will. I’ll know what kind of game it’ll be after the first few drives. Avoid the slow start and they have a legit chance. Get down 14 or 17 early and they have no chance. I know that goes for most teams, but that’s been their issue all season long. Mac had been able to bring them back in games within a score but then the defense can’t come up with a stop when they need it.

Board footer