You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events Thread

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Sign it is all ending?

Yep... this is the first step to getting it out of the news cycle 24/7.

They know people on both sides are fed up. It went on too long.

It was either guarantee a one term presidency and maybe riots nationwide, or start phasing it out of the news cycle slowly until it's background noise.

Tensions are  high between the US, EU, and Russia over the crisis in Ukraine. If that heats up even more and especially if it leads to conflict, gotta move Covid out of the way to make room for the media spin on the war and covering it like it's the Superbowl.

Either way....Covid had it's time in the sun.

On to the next crisis!

Monkeychows post is horrifying. Australia sounds like it's on the verge of collapse...and their government is worse than anything here.

Better hope Australia doesn't catch on fire again. Your PM partied in Hawaii the last time the continent burned. Where will he vacation this time?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

People are fed up with "the pandemic", they are not fed up with the government. Most people will not blame the politicians for enacting this terror on the people.

And that's the problem. They might pivot, but they will never leave unless they are made to do so. Currently there are absolutely zero indications that is happening. I'm the only person on this board who even wants it.

As long as you comply tyranny will continue in one form or the other. If this hasn't woken people up I suspect nothing ever will. They got you by the balls.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If it was about health your government wouldn't have given him an exemption and a visa to begin with. Did they just forget? No, this was planned from the start

Nah dude you don't realise what a shit show the aussie government is.

Won't go into it in depth but basically we're over regulated with local, state and federal government. Then half the time the feds and the states are different political parties. So in usa terms think democrat state leader and republican president. 1/4 of what they do is about getting reelected, 1/4 of what they do is just to make the other team look bad, 1/4 of what they do is because they actually honestly believe it
s good and 1/4 of what they do is because it's a huge bureaucratic machine and no one knows what is happening and they don't care and even if they did care they have to follow some system that says not to care.

I can't explain it well, but basically if you know Australia, someone read something off a form that was written badly, and someone who half cares half read it, and applied what it said on the form even though it makes no sense, then someone else who doesn't care did whatever and 95% of the time that's cool but then occasionally shit fucks up and everyone has to act like what they do is actually legitimate and not a massive waste of time and so suddenly they get a call from someone up the chain who is freaking out and they reverse it.

That they fucked up is the most believable thing in the world if you live here dude. I mean I love this country but seriously lets just say the best and brightest don't go into government administration and those that are clever are plotting a future where they are rich.

The simplest answer here is the rules didn't make a lot of sense in the first place cos they were written on the fly, then the government had an agenda of making the tennis happen to keep people happy and make the state lots of $, the feds want to open up cos they realised people were getting mad at the state government for lockdowns and cos $, so everyone was happy to green light it - until someone in the media noticed it was massively hypocritical and bullshit and made a big deal out of it. So suddenly  the government is on our side and wants to fix it cos it's an election year and they want to do whatever will keep people happy. Especially if it helps them not notice the other government fuck ups that are monumental.

Like I wont go into it. But basically our governments have fucked up both sides. Like if you want lockdown left wing stuff with 85 genders. Government fucked you. If you want right wing freedom shoot your gun for the virus. Government fucked you. It's an election  year and they find themselves having pissed off literally everyone. So like they will do literally anything now to stay in power. Which is corrupt and fucked but yeah i don't think there's as much as a plan it's just a bunch of people winging it and doing whatever they smell will be popular. Your conspiracy as such gives them more credit than they deserve IMO.

Anyways, that's my 2c. Apologies if I came off a touch agressive in the previous posts. It's not directed at you personally, it's just a pretty stressful time here. smile

James

James wrote:

Most people will not blame the politicians for enacting this terror on the people.

This country's obsession with politics has changed society. Everything is different now.

Yes people blame politicians...but only the politicians on the opposing team. They cheer on their team no matter what.

What's going to happen this year if nothing changes is the Republicans taking back Congress. They will win mainly over Covid fatigue. Everyone is sick of it and this is what they will focus on.

Store shelves are starting to become empty again... leading to a new nickname for Biden...

Bare shelf Biden.

His presidency has been a colossal fuck up. His ratings are lower than Trump's... which should've been impossible.

So either way...Covid will be disappearing from the headlines. If the current administration doesn't do it, the coming red wave will do it for them.

I know the narrative on the conspiracy forums is that this is never going away.

Yeah it is.  The US isn't the place to look for this being the dominating factor for years on end. Australia is the place to focus on for that...maybe in several European countries.

I just think they overplayed their hand and it's on the verge of being wrapped up.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

If ever Russia and China wanted to go for it, this is the moment. Europe is almost incapable of defending itself. The UK and France have nukes, so no one will be hurting them, but Germany would be hard pressed to defend itself. More so, the German economy and comfort is entirely dependent on Russian oil. The only thing stopping Putin from taking Ukraine today is the threat of the US with British support retaliating decisively if Putin did it. I don’t know if Joe Biden is capable of handling that kind of response, to say nothing of how divisive Congress and the population would be over it. And it’s entirely reasonable to ask if the US (or any other nation) should risk WW3 over a territory that has historically been under their sphere of control. Is Germany willing to let their people freeze over objection to Russia taking over Kiev?

China has the US by the balls on circuitry, supply chain, enormous debt, and even ownership over key farming industries.  Look up who owns a majority of American meat processors. Is the US going to risk WW3 with China if Xi roles tanks into Taipei and Hong Kong? Is Australia willing to make that sacrifice?

Meanwhile in the US, teachers and students alike are allowed to use the excuse of corona to not attend school and are cheered. Biden’s presidency is an abject failure and the notion of compromise is all but devoid in the legislature. Meanwhile the economy is teetering with inflation and a subclass of society refusing to work because they’ve been given 55k a year for existing during the pandemic. Just check out r/antiwork to get a glimpse at those expressing this view.

Can you imagine if Biden attempted to implement a draft to conscript an Army to defend against Russian and Chinese aggression? Our universities would be filled with students and Academics celebrating the demise of the western patriarchy and welcome their communist overlords.  Only after the Chinese and Russian militaries rounded up men demanding to be called “ma’am” and dissidents who think they can block traffic and set fire to police stations, would they realize they backed the wrong horse.

The reality is the West isn’t capable of surviving WW3. When you’ve proven half the population is willing to give up their livelihood and remain indoors at the promise of safety, you demonstrate your society isn’t much of a threat to aggression and authoritarian rule. And you’ve shown you sure as hell won’t create a fuss when ordered to. Tell me what nation would have the support to launch nukes? To launch a military invasion?

Christ, American Democrats used the filibuster this week to prevent sanctions on Russia. This was the same group who spent 4 years calling the former President a Russian plant and said he wouldn’t put sanctions on Russia. The same group demanding the filibuster be removed. And now they use the filibuster to prevent sanctions on the country they claim poses the greatest threat to America. I don’t know how you find consensus to get America to do a fucking thing if Russia and China act up. And if the US isn’t doing anything, the rest of the world won’t make a peep.

James

James wrote:

I was reading an article a few days ago on the Russia-Ukraine crisis and it went over various options Russia has.

One of the scenarios is crazy....

Putin taking a huge gamble and invading the Baltic states. As you know, these countries are in NATO.

Would NATO risk WWIII over Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia? Probably not...which would kill the alliance.

It was a mistake adding all these former Soviet states. Should've drew the line after Poland.

If you're not willing to risk blowing up the world over a country, don't include them in the alliance.

While the US has the greatest military in world history, I agree these situations in the current environment are dicey. This country is too divided for what used to be majority support during a conflict.

Worst case scenario would be simultaneous moves by China and Russia. The US intervening would almost guarantee an economic disaster.

American Democrats used the filibuster this week to prevent sanctions on Russia. This was the same group who spent 4 years calling the former President a Russian plant and said he wouldn’t put sanctions on Russia. The same group demanding the filibuster be removed. And now they use the filibuster to prevent sanctions on the country they claim poses the greatest threat to America.

Yeah this is insanity. Biden supposedly wants to sanction the shit out of Russia yet this is how it's playing out in reality.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Complicating matters:

-Turkey is a member of NATO.

-It (at least Erdogan) has a weird relationship with Putin.

-AND its currency is a wreck that is getting worse.

No telling what could happen.

James

James wrote:

Sign it is all ending?

Yep..they just took another step.

CDC just dropped all Covid guidelines for cruise ships.

They're doing it with baby steps to where it won't look so drastic.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Restaurants, fitness centers and other indoor businesses in the District on Saturday began requiring patrons to show proof of vaccination, the first day of a mandate in the nation's capital that is geared toward curbing the latest surge of the coronavirus.

"Can I see your vaccination card and photo ID?" workers across the city asked customers over and over, receiving warm smiles from some who readily complied while others unaware of the new rule awkwardly searched their wallets and phones.

The new rule applies to anyone 12 or older entering sit-down restaurants, bars, gyms, theaters and most other public places where people spend long periods sitting inside. Grocery stores, retail stores and houses of worship are among the exempt locations.

With the mandate, the District of Columbia joined other major cities that have implemented similar requirements - including New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Philadelphia - in hopes of reversing a dramatic spike in coronavirus infections brought on by the highly transmissible omicron variant.

https://news.yahoo.com/d-c-vaccine-mand … puXToQU8Qm

We'll see won't we! big_smile

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I solved the lie that unvaccinated people are over represented in the hospital. Now America might not be the best example for this since there are so many unjabbed, but for the rest of the Western world where 90-95% are vaccinated it holds very well.

First, it's not strictly a lie, but the conclusions people draw from it are incredibly misleading.

Who are the unvaccinated? People like me for sure, but also those with very bad health conditions. They are simply not allowed to be vaccinated because the body will not handle it.

Before vaccinations started everybody was part of the same group, the unvaxxed. But now 90-95% of that group has joined "the vaccinated".

So who's left? Me and a bunch of geriatrics.

Now how does the math stack up in the new scenario? You guessed it, the unvaxxed, as a group, are much more likely to become sick and die, because most of the healthy people in the group are no longer there to massage the numbers.

Brilliant, in your face, out in the open manipulation.

Board footer