You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Per the Daily Beast:

"This is the same Neil Young who in 2015 released an entire album, The Monsanto Years, that’s wall-to-wall songs from an anti-biotechnology point of view.

Young’s anti-GMO rhetoric helped fuel a narrative that made it easy to spread fear and distrust about COVID vaccines, most of which used novel biotechnology methods and some of which use genetic engineering."

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Per the Daily Beast:

"This is the same Neil Young who in 2015 released an entire album, The Monsanto Years, that’s wall-to-wall songs from an anti-biotechnology point of view.

Young’s anti-GMO rhetoric helped fuel a narrative that made it easy to spread fear and distrust about COVID vaccines, most of which used novel biotechnology methods and some of which use genetic engineering."

A lot of these celebrities don't even truly know what they do and don't support.

Sean Penn another example...an ultra liberal on all causes since I was a child....now ranting about the feminization of men in Western culture.

Reminds me of that article a few months ago I read...how liberals are going so far left it's forcing some to move to the right.

I've been sick of celebrity culture since the era of social media began. I found out there's nothing magical about these people and many of them are straight up morons with lots of money.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

I've been sick of celebrity culture since the era of social media began. I found out there's nothing magical about these people and many of them are straight up morons with lots of money.

But if you think the same as Axl Rose or Tom Hanks, you’re just like them too. And if you ever meet you’ll immediately have a connection and probably become best friends.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Per the Daily Beast:

Is that really a contradiction though?

Like you can be anti-biotech when it's used to exploit the poorest people on earth and charge them for things that used to be free (replanting seeds) and then pro-biotech when it's used for humanitarian purposes (getting the whole world vaccinated). To my mind it's not the tech that's bad it's the morals of the people using it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I found out there's nothing magical about these people and many of them are straight up morons with lots of money.

I've been struggling with this since the reunion.

I mean I like the music as an art form, but as I get older I look at the whole history of the band and it's a series of ugly things being done to people for selfish reasons over and over again.

Randall Flagg

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Per the Daily Beast:

Like you can be anti-biotech when it's used to exploit the poorest people on earth and charge them for things that used to be free (replanting seeds) and then pro-biotech when it's used for humanitarian purposes (getting the whole world vaccinated). To my mind it's not the tech that's bad it's the morals of the people using it.

It absolutely is. These same people believe GMO food is dangerous or less appealing than “organic”. There’s zero evidence to support this, all agriculture is GMO in some form, and GMO seeds have allowed for the third world to remain fed and have crops that aren’t immediately destroyed by blight. You don’t get to push this anti science nonsense, push doubt that any vaccine from the Trump administration would be dangerous, then claim to be on the side of science and demand any dissent be punished or hidden from the public view. The left and climate change fanatics (the ones who have multiple children and drive SUVs but consider themselves sole) have attacked Monsanto non-stop. Hell, half of Europe won’t accept American produce cause it’s GMO. And you’re asking if there’s a contradiction in the scientific literacy of people who are against GMOs but have jumped on the vaccine bandwagon?  Do you think cloth masks protect you from COVID too?

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

So Neil Young wants Spotify to remove Joe Rogan for spreading covid misinformation, even though he couldn't show the misinformation. They chose Joe. How other artists are demanding them remove Rogan.

As far as I can tell, Fauci has spread more false information than Rogan saying masks aren't effective. He admitted he lied about that.

Cloth masks aren’t effective. Nearly every media story is running this story now.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Per the Daily Beast:

Anyone can have this debate, which is good. But no one tried to get his album pulled from any platforms, no one tried to ban him or his album, and as far as I know, there weren't any other artists trying to strong arm media companies into banning him or his work over his beliefs. Neil is doing that now. And I haven't seen what Rogan said that set him off. Neil hasn't stated or shown the evidence, and I'm starting to believe Neil has never even listened to his podcast, or even knows what he said that he's so angry about.

There were articles being written in 2015 that what Neil was saying was dangerous.

Randall Flagg

Holy shit, so Trump is floating the idea of pardoning January 6th rioters.  How low can we go?  How can anyone even think that would be remotely acceptable?  I know nearly every GOP member has scoffed at such an idea, but the party really needs to denounce this man.  He can't run again in 24 and he sure as shit can't be the nominee.  The moment he says this stupid shit, the media runs with it 24/7 and it's just giving democrats ammo to work with.  We need to return to normal, not this hyper partisan nonsense.  I'll abstain before I'd vote for Trump in 2024.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree... gotta cut the cord.

If Trumpers need a new cult of personality, Desantis is waiting in the wings to be next.

I don't think he's running again anyways. However, I think one of his kids(likely Ivanka) definitely will and that's even worse.

Board footer