You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Another reason this may get memory holed...

He may be trans. Before all of his social media profiles were deleted, a few of his pics were found.

So this viral story that the shooter was trans has been debunked as misinformation. The pictures circulating were of a completely innocent and  unrelated trans woman. Another trans woman has apparently also been smeared with this. They've both been advised to lock their online accounts to reduce their risk of doxxing and SWATing.

This misinfo story is a side story to the tragedy in Texas but it's beyond fucked that they were targeted in that that way. On top of all that... what relevance would it have had if the shooter had been trans?!

Agreed on the cost of living crisis not being covered properly. It's bad here but when I recently visited the US earlier this month I was shocked by the prices I was seeing. $10 for 5pc of Claritin or Benadryl. $8 for fucking Cheerios. The price of meats, veg, cheeses etc was all insane too those are just the two that stuck in my mind as unaffordably high for what they are.

In the UK we are set for another huge hike in energy bills in October after the one we just had in April... people are going to be choosing between warmth or food come Winter.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

People won’t be able to afford food

Yeah this should be breaking news instead of the trending topics of the day.

I notice an increase every time I go to the store. I went to Safeway yesterday as I like buying my meat there and holy shit....15 bucks for a pound and a half of olive loaf! Can you imagine? A small pack of the brand of bacon I eat was $12.49....and it's only enough for a couple pita sandwiches.

This isn't sustainable.

The price of Chuck is bat shit insane.

I rarely drink milk...only use it for grape nuts....but I went on Amazon and bought a huge can of milk powder. It's only a matter of time before there's milk shortages as well.

A can of that will probably last me a year.

It's insane if you go out and eat at local joints too.  I'm not talking about fine dining shit either.   I go occasionally to this joint to eat some Mediterran wrap.  It used to be $7 and change.  Now it's closer to $11.

You probably know this but take advantage of the app coupons or Friday specials at Safeway.  They routinely have bacon for $5 on Friday.  Might not be your favorite brand though.  I drink almond milk, but even there are shortages on that.  The Walmart I go to never has it in stock. 

Add in the ridiculous gas prices and it's pretty bad in the short term.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Battling inflation is something both parties agree on….but neither do anything about.

This scares me for two reasons….we are once again attacking each other. What we won’t do is look for solutions. And two…more frightening is that there may not be a solution.

Make no mistake about it….the price of oil by the barrel is less than it was when Trump was president…but gas is more expensive. Why?

I accept school shootings are Americana now.  Why not? We don’t give a shit about each other. Guns have more rights then people.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

So this viral story that the shooter was trans has been debunked as misinformation. The pictures circulating were of a completely innocent and  unrelated trans woman. Another trans woman has apparently also been smeared with this. They've both been advised to lock their online accounts to reduce their risk of doxxing and SWATing.

This misinfo story is a side story to the tragedy in Texas but it's beyond fucked that they were targeted in that that way. On top of all that... what relevance would it have had if the shooter had been trans?!

Technically it isn't relevant...unless bullying had somehow played a factor.

Why is it relevant when the shooter is white? The shooter mentions in an old Tweet liking Trump?

This is how major stories are covered in this country now....and especially in the social media trenches. Both sides immediately want information on which side the killer is on....this decides how they will approach the story.

If it's a Trumper....instant bile spewed at the killer.  If it's a black guy...sit back and wait for it to quickly drop from the cycle.

There's so many now that you can't keep track but that one from a couple years ago blew my mind. Thousands on Reddit and Twitter freaking out and when it came out he was a "Bernie Bro"..... crickets.

I know how insane this sounds...but this is where we're at now.

If that pic wasn't him...it is fucked up they would do that. This goes back to how these platforms censor, ban, and delete willy nilly depending on which way the wind blows. Why do some deserve deletion but others don't? Who gets to decide which cases are worthy?

I go occasionally to this joint to eat some Mediterran wrap.  It used to be $7 and change.  Now it's closer to $11.

There's a Mexican place I go to that has killer burritos and tamales. That burrito is 9 bucks now. It's good...but not that good.

You probably know this but take advantage of the app coupons or Friday specials at Safeway.  They routinely have bacon for $5 on Friday.  Might not be your favorite brand though.  I drink almond milk, but even there are shortages on that.  The Walmart I go to never has it in stock.

I usually like going in the middle of the week(less people) but yeah...they have some good deals. I like getting the $5 donuts...and sometimes they have great deals on yogurt. My Safeway has the greatest yogurt selection in the valley.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well, kid sent up a bunch of red flags, even said on Facebook he was shooting up an elementary school.

And people are misidentified all the time. That’s why doxxing is wrong.

misterID

misterID wrote:

This is the hat of the Border Agent who ran in and shot the guy. Look how close that came to a head shot.

misterID

misterID wrote:

As I was saying about expanding Homeland Security to deal with this…

They waited outside for an hour while he was killing these kids…

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

As I was saying about expanding Homeland Security to deal with this…

They waited outside for an hour while he was killing these kids…

Just like Parkland.

My neighbor is an FBI agent and he told me my city has lost so many good cops due all the money the gov’t put into the system causing an arms race in wages. So cops left for hire paying jobs in the private  sector and the police departments couldn’t hang. He says now we just have a lot of warm bodies and they do stupid shit like beat people up etc.

We need to be paying the cops and teachers more to attract better cops and teachers and flush our the worthless ones just there for a pay check.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

They had to get a teacher to open the door with a key, Jesus.

Board footer