You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: NFL 2022/23 season

faldor wrote:

It's been puzzling to say the least.  They're trying that Shanahan/McVay style offense, but they don't quite have the personnel to pull it off.  Bill could end up having a hand in calling offensive plays if things go south. Patricia was an assistant offensive line coach before he switched over to defense, but it still doesn't make much sense.

I expect the Ravens to be better this year.  Their defense is good and they were ravaged pretty bad by injuries last year.  Although aside from Andrews and Lamar, they don't have many guys that scare you on offense.  That's their home opener, so maybe they're able to pull that one out.  Certainly hope they can beat the Steelers, although they have a good D and some weapons on offense.  They always struggle in Miami, but maybe the Dolphins take a little while to gel with a new coach. 

How are the Titans looking this year?  I was shocked they traded AJ Brown during the draft.  Did they just not want to pay him top dollar going forward?  Sounds like Burks isn't quite ready to be super impactful right away.  They always seem to be in the mix, but I'd have to think this is a pretty important year for the real Ryan Tannehill to stand up.  Great two years ago, then a few steps back last year.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Since the season is about to start, let's predict the division winners and wildcard slots.

Green Bay

Washington

Tampa

Los Angeles

Wildcard

New Orleans

Chicago

San Francisco

---

Kansas City

Tennessee

Buffalo

Baltimore

Wildcard

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

I'll go out on a limb and predict Tampa vs Buffalo or Indianapolis in the SB.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

It's been puzzling to say the least.  They're trying that Shanahan/McVay style offense, but they don't quite have the personnel to pull it off.  Bill could end up having a hand in calling offensive plays if things go south. Patricia was an assistant offensive line coach before he switched over to defense, but it still doesn't make much sense.

I expect the Ravens to be better this year.  Their defense is good and they were ravaged pretty bad by injuries last year.  Although aside from Andrews and Lamar, they don't have many guys that scare you on offense.  That's their home opener, so maybe they're able to pull that one out.  Certainly hope they can beat the Steelers, although they have a good D and some weapons on offense.  They always struggle in Miami, but maybe the Dolphins take a little while to gel with a new coach. 

How are the Titans looking this year?  I was shocked they traded AJ Brown during the draft.  Did they just not want to pay him top dollar going forward?  Sounds like Burks isn't quite ready to be super impactful right away.  They always seem to be in the mix, but I'd have to think this is a pretty important year for the real Ryan Tannehill to stand up.  Great two years ago, then a few steps back last year.

Is it switching OL systems from power types to the quicker more nimble type OL zone blocking types that are needed in the Shanhan system?  Generally (this is outsider perspective) I thought the Pats were good at developing OL.  The other thing is I don't see a good WR on the roster.  I think WR are a little overvalued but you kind of have to have at worst solid starter types. I don't think you need a "star" per se but you do need guys can start and contribute.  I don't really see this in the WR that NE has.  Maybe it's wrong because I don't watch them but Agolohor, Jakoby Myers, Devante Parker, and Bourne don't seem like the greatest.  I like Parker as a bounce back candidate though (not a TUA fan at all in MIA, kinda dumb for them to trade for Hill).  It might take a year if they are switching offensive systems just to get personel in there.

I think they can shut down Jackson.  Gotta follow the KC blueprint.  Be disciplined and don't overpursue.  Get your best DB to shadow Mark Andrews.  Make him throw outside.  Just be glad you don't play them in week one: they destroy teams.  It's ok if they get a bunch of rushing yards, clamp down in the red zone and force them to settle for FG.

The Titans look OK.  Their WR room was god awful last year due to depth and injuries.  I don't think Brown wanted to be there anymore and made ridiculous contract demands.  They were forced to trade him.  They got decent value.  They also had no TE to replace Jonnu Smith.  They had problems in the middle of the field because of this.  They signed Austin Hooper and drafted some TE in the mid rounds.  The OL may the problem.  They need to pass block better.  Tannehill gets maligned on a national level.  No one was putting up stats on the Titans last year with their OL pass blocking issues and WR that were going in and out.  Think the 2019 Pats season with Brady.  I think they win the divison and make the playoffs, outside of that I have no clue.

faldor

faldor wrote:

The Pats have been great at developing OL over the years. They did lose their legendary offensive line coach Dante Scarnechia to retirement a few years ago, but the line was still pretty good last year and should be on paper this season. But it seems like they’re struggling with the new concepts and assignments. They’re in the wrong spots, picking up the wrong guys, etc. They think it’s correctable, not a personnel issue, but it’s been ugly.

And as you mentioned, they don’t have dynamic weapons on offense. Their WR are respectable NFL worthy, but they’re not scaring any defenses. Bourne showed promise last year with some big explosive plays but he’s looked horrible this summer. They have two really good RBs, but you can’t win these days with just a strong running game. And this year they have no fullback like they’ve had the last two decades, so that makes it even more important for the OL to do their job.

Makes sense about Tannehill. I remember they came into Gillette last year and they were down a bunch of skill players on offense and they still almost won. Backup RBs we’re running free all day long. Vrabel is a really good coach and always has the team well prepared. I like the Robert Woods pickup if he can bounce back from injury. The Colts might give them a run for the division this year but I stopped trusting Matt Ryan about 3 years ago.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Bills looked pretty darn good in the opener on both sides of the ball. Pretty impressive to win by 21 despite turning the ball over 4 times. They’re legit for sure and Josh Allen is a special talent. Hurts me to say as a Pats fan, but he’s hard to stop with those weapons. Amazing how far he’s come. He was so inconsistent and inaccurate his first few seasons and now he’s a top 3 QB in the league. Their defense looked great too, which is even more of a concern for other contenders. We knew their offense was going to be great but if their defense can match that, they’ll be even tougher to beat.

With all that said, the Rams didn’t look ready at all. I know the preseason isn’t ultra important, but their top players barely played a snap prior to opening night and it showed. They should still be a good team but they weren’t good on Thursday.

Picks
AFC
1. Bills
2. Chargers
3. Titans
4. Ravens
5. Bengals
6. Chiefs
7. Raiders

NFC
1. Bucs
2. Packers
3. 49ers
4. Eagles
5. Rams
6. Vikings
7. Saints

And I’ll go with the Bucs over the Bills in the Super Bowl. Brady goes out in top and once again rips the hearts out of a team he dominated for 20 years in the AFC East.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Well fuck me, Patriots. Gross.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah the Bills are definitely for real. That was a great game.

The Bears won but holy shit...this is going to be a long and ugly season.

I was watching the Bucs-Cowboys game but once it was more than obvious the Cowboys weren't gonna do shit and the Bucs had it in the bag, I turned it off.

It's going to be weird with Amazon having Thursday night games. I keep seeing ads for it. I always thought games should be broadcast on regular tv like the old days and now we're skipping cable tv and headed straight for the internet/apps.

This is probably the future of sports.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

It's going to be weird with Amazon having Thursday night games. I keep seeing ads for it. I always thought games should be broadcast on regular tv like the old days and now we're skipping cable tv and headed straight for the internet/apps.

Without a doubt. If the NFL can cut out the middlemen, they get all the ad revenue. Which means the games will become even longer due to increased commercial breaks. I understand the players appreciate them at times for breaks, but it truly is the greatest example of corporate profit at the cost of a sport. It’s one of the main reasons the sport hasn’t taken off in Europe.

I was shocked that both Green Bay and Cincinnati lost. Vikings aren’t bad, but Pittsburgh lacks any real offensive threat. 5 turnovers and they finish regulation with 20 points?

KC and Buffalo looked the best this week. Top contenders in the AFC for sure.

I’m so happy Watt isn’t out for the season. Let’s hope my boys manage a win over NE Sunday. I’m rushing to the airport early to catch the game before we fly out for the week.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Honestly, week one is one of  the worst ones to make judgements on.  Seattle beat Denver last night, in a really fun game.  But that's not really indictive of anything.  I remember the Packers got steamrolled by the Saints last year in week one and they ended up w/the #1 seed in the NFC.

James wrote:

It is.   MLB already does this w/Peacock and whatnot.  I'd like to add though that the NFL probably went to the highest bidder.  Out of all the major sports it still draws very well .  The previously mentioned PIT vs CIN game drew 17 million on a Sunday afternoon,  in a world where broadcast tv networks are slowly becoming phased out. Things may change but the NFL is still king in the USA.

faldor

faldor wrote:

That Steelers vs Bengals game was crazy. I caught the tail end after the Pats game ended. I didn’t realize the long snapper was hurt so I just assumed the game was over when Burrow hit Chase to tie the game. Man was I wrong. Who knew long snappers were so important? A missed PAT & a chip shot FG due to bad snaps and just lack of cohesion in the unit. They better button that up going forward. Shouldn’t have lost that game.

Then there’s the Broncos. That had to be some of the worst coaching down the stretch of that game. First off, Pete Carroll wasted a timeout to challenge the spot of the ball on a 1st down call. Granted there were 3 minutes left and he was going to lose his challenge at the 2 minute mark. But there was no evidence whatsoever that the ball was short. It actually looked like Denver advanced further than the spot they were given. Save the challenge. Who knows what could have happened in the next minute. Plus, you might need that extra timeout if Denver scores.

But then, Nathaniel Hackett does the unthinkable and bleeds the clock all the way down to 20 seconds to settle for a 64 yard game winning FG attempt. Instead of going for it on 4th and 5 with a minute left. I mean, what the hell is that? In what world does that make any sense. Just awful. You paid all that draft capital and money for Russell Wilson and you don’t let him try and win the game for you? Instead you settle for one of the longest FGs in NFL history? I could understand if there were 5 seconds left, but there was about a minute left and they had 3 timeouts. This is why so many coaches get fired every year. And if Denver doesn’t make the playoffs this season, Hackett will be on that list.

Board footer