You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Wouldn't a better question be...what movie did Roberts do that was so great...besides Erin Brockovich?  16

I don't even think Brockovich is that great.  I remember Finney (or whomever played the lawyer) more than Roberts lead role.

The House on Sorority Row (original).  Not bad at all.  It's got that late 70s-early 80s feel that I like. The story is done pretty well and there are some interesting kills.  The only thing that is a drawback is that the acting wasn't particularly great.  But it's still pretty good.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:
James wrote:

This is probably the film they should've done after Lambs. It would've allowed all involved to have another hit while taking a rain check on the Jodie Foster issue.

The world deserved a real follow-up to Lambs.

I should watch Manhunter...haven't watched it in decades. I know it was a remake of this but other than that, don't remember it.

And Anthony Hopkins wouldn't have looked so much older if they made Red Dragon sooner after SOTL, I also would've picked Russell Crowe as  Will Graham instead of Norton. I prefer Manhunter because the Tooth Fairy killer has more of a mystique , he's too sympathetic in the Red Dragon movie.

A proper sequel to Silence of the Lambs would have been a Clarice stand-alone story struggling with PTSD after the events of Lambs, assigned to investigate new mysterious killings and chasing a new deranged killer in maybe a city-type setting. Lecter's story ends perfectly well when he's in the Bahamas.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Hackers.  The 1995 film w/Jolie and Johnny Lee Miller I found really corny and cheesy, and really dated.  I'd seen it once before and found this on ok.  But on this viewing it just grated on me.  I think the fact that all the characters are in HS made it worse.  You just have a lot of those teen type corny jokes that just made it worse for me.  Some of the acting was pretty off too.  The only good thing was the soundtrack.  This is one film I'm not going to revisit any time soon.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I need to watch that. I think it's on Tubi.

A lot of those types of movies are really dated now. Ever watch The Net since it was released?

I need to get back in to watching new movies. There's still a handful I wanted to watch...I need to watch them before the new year.

Been watching old tv shows (Newhart, Gomer, and Who's the Boss). Man...Who's the Boss gets really bad after the first couple seasons. No way in hell can I finish that.

Watched a few movies on my old hard drive last night.

The Martian - I bet this was a blast in the theater.

What About Bob? - I watch this every couple years or so. I noticed something on this viewing I hadn't really picked up on before....

Dreyfuss and his family are just as dysfunctional as Bob is eccentric/crazy. His wife and children have zero respect for him. They ignore every single thing he says. He's supposed to be this amazing psychiatrist...yet he can't pick up on the problems in his family. His family practically abandons him for Bob.

If you did a remake of this...you'd probably have his wife start sleeping with Bob instead of the ending where Bob marries the sister.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Amazing film. I used to not like the back and forth editing but it does give it some more suspense and layers to the story.

James

James wrote:

Apocalypse Now Redux - The original probably my all time favorite film. Decided to watch this version as it's been years. It's definitely too long and the pacing is all fucked up...the French plantation scenes almost kill it.

Ernest Saves Christmas - It still blows me away this never became a huge annual holiday film. I think Varney doing way too many shit Ernest movies killed any potential long term interest in the couple good films. He should've stopped after Jail.

Better Watch Out - This deserves to be an annual Christmas movie as well... especially for younger generations who probably don't bother with Black Christmas.

Greyhound - Finally got around to watching this Hanks film. Not really that good. Are there any genuine ocean scenes or is it all CGI? It kinda took me out of the film seeing how fake some of this looked.

James

James wrote:

12 Monkeys - If there's a better time travel movie....name it.

I think this is Madeline Stowe's last major film. I really liked her.

A Simple Plan - This deserved more attention. Great movie...great cast...and I think this was Bridget Fonda's last movie before retiring.

Calibre - One of my favorite movies of the past 5 years. Two friends go hunting and everything goes wrong.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I watched 12 Monkeys last year or so, as part of a Bruce Willis marathon. Always liked it but was surprised how good it really is. For a standalone, not very long movie, it is very profound and perfectly made. Everything, every scene just works in it. Gilliam's best film by far I would say.

I don't know if Bruce Willis was just incredibly fortunate or incredibly shrewd. His filmography is so diverse and he played in so many classics. This from a "Stallone type" actor with limited range.

Six Feet Under.

Finished this a while ago. I think I know why there was a voice in the back of my head saying it was shit. Alan Ball is not aiming high enough. He could have done so much with these production values, these actors and all this creative freedom. But while being talented in some respects, he is preoccupied with morbid themes like death and suffering. There can be beatiful pain but this is just pain. Personally I am just not depressed enough to resonate with that.

Also watched the Kingdom (Riget), a Danish tv series from 1994, directed by Lars Von Trier.

Now this is a great fucking show. Probably not in tune with most American, or even European sensibilities, but if you ever liked anything made in Scandinavia this is a must watch.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Watched "Beast" with Idris Elba.  Complete waste of time (and $6) and utterly absurd.  Unless you think an injured man could ever go toe to toe with an adult male lion wielding a ka-bar.

"The menu".  Funny an interesting film I just watched cause it was the top pick on HBO. 

"The Whale"  Brendan Fraiser should get an academy award for this.  One of the best character studies in a film in recent memory.

James

James wrote:

The Black Phone is on Amazon Prime.

I really need to watch that.

I hate how I go through phases of watching new or old movies. I'm in my phase of watching old movies and TV shows. I had a pretty good run last year of watching newer movies.

I still haven't watched that new Chloe Moretz Amazon series and it looks pretty good.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I watched 12 Monkeys last year or so, as part of a Bruce Willis marathon. Always liked it but was surprised how good it really is. For a standalone, not very long movie, it is very profound and perfectly made. Everything, every scene just works in it. Gilliam's best film by far I would say.

I don't know if Bruce Willis was just incredibly fortunate or incredibly shrewd. His filmography is so diverse and he played in so many classics. This from a "Stallone type" actor with limited range.

It's probably a bit of both.  Look at his 90s stuff, it's not really filled with blockbusters/typical action there's a lot of different genres.

James wrote:

The Black Phone is on Amazon Prime.

I really need to watch that.

I hate how I go through phases of watching new or old movies. I'm in my phase of watching old movies and TV shows. I had a pretty good run last year of watching newer movies.

I've seen it.  It's pretty good and nails the retro vibe pretty well.   I got creeped out a few times.

I go through genres more than years, of course most of the stuff I watch tends to be old.  I do like tossing something totally different on once a week to break out of the mold otherwise I could go weeks watching stuff from one genre.

Steel and Lace;  some B level movie in the 1990s that was a cross between a revenge film and a sci fi film.  Not bad at all.  The kills are interesting.

Office Space: pretty funny.  There are some great jokes (shots on Michael Bolton), the beatdown on the copier.  And some stuff millenials would not get like floppy disks etc.  There is an undercurrent of the truth in this film though.  Also, Jennifer Aninston was very hot as she plays this girl next door type love interest.

Board footer