You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Lisa Marie Presley Memorial

Just came across this article.

A bunch of musicians including Axl Rose paid tribute to Lisa Marie Presley.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … 234665788/

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Just watched his speech. That was very thoughtful and touching. He hadn’t planned to say anything apparently, but did the best he could do, after he was approached. I thought that was really great of him to do that for her.

The November Rain performance was pretty good too. I was particularly impressed with parts of it. He didn’t go fully Mickey, and he actually had rasp in parts too. He must’ve been nervous as hell playing it like that (just vocals and piano) and at a funeral of all places, so props to him.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

You can find video of both the speech and performance on YouTube

Sky Dog wrote:

Nice….he did a good job.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I had no idea that he was acquainted with her in any capacity

It was defo touching,  but he needs to give up on the falsetto...cmon Axl just rearrange the songs for mid to low register...ur voice isn't built to sing up there anymore

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

Damn that was something.. there were weak parts, but all in all there was one thing that ran through my head the whole time: Go solo!
Drop the whole GN’R-wild-rockers-guitar-solo-screaming vibe and go solo. Fuck it, he's not a 20 years old rebel anymore, and don’t have to run on the stage with the “Rock n’ Roll Axl costume”. At 60, and with the different class he has these days, I’m sure it’ll open him for a whole new crowd.

At the right location (capacity and sound-wise) and enough rehearsals, I’m sure he’ll find the right tone and arrangements.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think it’s great. He looks great too when he’s not doing the Captain Jack Sparrow thing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow...that was a brief glimpse of an alternate timeline where he's solo.

Izzyjim wrote:

Damn that was something.. there were weak parts, but all in all there was one thing that ran through my head the whole time: Go solo!
Drop the whole GN’R-wild-rockers-guitar-solo-screaming vibe and go solo. Fuck it, he's not a 20 years old rebel anymore, and don’t have to run on the stage with the “Rock n’ Roll Axl costume”. At 60, and with the different class he has these days, I’m sure it’ll open him for a whole new crowd.

At the right location (capacity and sound-wise) and enough rehearsals, I’m sure he’ll find the right tone and arrangements.

I've advocated this for 20 years.

He had the talent to reinvent himself late 90s- early 2000s and have a late period Rod Stewart style run in him but instead he held onto the GNR name and spun his wheels til he ran out of gas with Chinese.

It's a real shame.

The Axl/DC and Billy Joel performance was also a small taste of what could've happened had things went a different direction.

Sky Dog wrote:

Rod Stewart is a very good comparison as he has that mid range rasp which Axl could have if he chooses the right songs to sing.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I had no idea that he was acquainted with her in any capacity

It was defo touching,  but he needs to give up on the falsetto...cmon Axl just rearrange the songs for mid to low register...ur voice isn't built to sing up there anymore

I tend to remember her being in attendance at the LA club reunion shows, but didn't know they were good friends.

Board footer