You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: AFD on this week's Billboard Top 200...

Von wrote:

More than underrated, the Illusions are Guns defining album, bruised egos and all. I see YCBM on a semi-regular basis on Metal Mania. Still badass to this day.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Too much ambition for one project in my opinion. A bit similar to The Wall, but not as cohesive.

I could sit here all week listing albums better than UYI II, so I definitely wouldn't consider the albums "vastly underrated" or their "defining album".

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Call me crazy but if I had to choose between AFD and the illusions, I'd choose one of the illusions any day of the week.  Alot of people dont like all the shit Axl added to the mix, and yes I would love to hear the original version slash handed over to Axl.  But I prefer all the bells and whistles of UYI to the bare bones approach of AFD.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
von wrote:

More than underrated, the Illusions are Guns defining album, bruised egos and all. I see YCBM on a semi-regular basis on Metal Mania. Still badass to this day.

I agree...although AFD will always be one of the most important albums in rock history, I think the Illusion albums and tour are what many casual fans associate with GNR. They think Axl in bike pants and big outfits and they think massive stadium rock and they think November Rain.

November Rain, like Sweet Child of Mine before it is one of those cross-over songs that allows people that arn't into metal and hard rock - the pop people - to get into the band...especially girls.

YCBM is a fucking awesome song too.....it was huge being with t2 to people of my age...but its such a fantastic hard rock song...

Sky Dog wrote:

AFD is Gnr's best album. However, the Illusions broke Gnr and put them on a worldwide platform....AFD sales, like Nevermind from Nirvana, were mainly an American/North American phenomenon....possibly throw in the UK. Each UYI still went 7 times platinum in the US in 1998..a few years after the grunge thing died. So, all you naysayers can talk all th shit you want. UYI was a wildly successful project. Period. End of discussion. One studio lp recording session yielded over 30 million albums sold worldwide.  Pretty good return on investment...I'll take the ten best off UYI before the ten best off AFD. Now, if you have to take the top three most important Gnr songs, then you go with Welcome, Sweet, and Paradise....but, those are the perfect storm for hard rock singles. Almost nobody has ever matched three more perfect singles for a debut album. 19

oh, and ps, Gnr had the third most catalog sales out of any artist in 2007....more than the Beatles. They are selling a very hefty amount of records right now for an old school band....more than Zep in the US. The pop catalog chart might as well be the billboard 200 because the catalog chart is kicking ass way out of proportion to new music sold. That is an industry fact that they hide by not letting catalog sales be apart of the top 200 chart. Thriller would have topped the charts a few weeks ago with it's re release and Gnr's GH wasn't far behind. New music sales pale in comparison to catalog sales right now.:ummm:

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

AFD was the right magical ingredients coming together once in a lifetime and could never (can never) be topped but I have to say I love the UYI's quite a bit in their own rights.  Coma/Estranged/YCBM/Breakdown...that shit is tough to beat by any standards in my book.

wiser4x
 Rep: 0 

wiser4x wrote:
madagas wrote:

AFD is Gnr's best album. However, the Illusions broke Gnr and put them on a worldwide platform....AFD sales, like Nevermind from Nirvana, were mainly an American/North American phenomenon....possibly throw in the UK. Each UYI still went 7 times platinum in the US in 1998..a few years after the grunge thing died. So, all you naysayers can talk all th shit you want. UYI was a wildly successful project. Period. End of discussion. One studio lp recording session yielded over 30 million albums sold worldwide.  Pretty good return on investment...I'll take the ten best off UYI before the ten best off AFD. Now, if you have to take the top three most important Gnr songs, then you go with Welcome, Sweet, and Paradise....but, those are the perfect storm for hard rock singles. Almost nobody has ever matched three more perfect singles for a debut album. 19

oh, and ps, Gnr had the third most catalog sales out of any artist in 2007....more than the Beatles. They are selling a very hefty amount of records right now for an old school band....more than Zep in the US. The pop catalog chart might as well be the billboard 200 because the catalog chart is kicking ass way out of proportion to new music sold. That is an industry fact that they hide by not letting catalog sales be apart of the top 200 chart. Thriller would have topped the charts a few weeks ago with it's re release and Gnr's GH wasn't far behind. New music sales pale in comparison to catalog sales right now.:ummm:

I agree with you about UYI alblums being great but in my mind they are still second to
AFD, I'll take the 10 best of AFD, but it's a close call. I love most of the songs on UYI and
there is more of a selection

Board footer