You are not logged in. Please register or login.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

Re: The General and Monsters

deadsouth wrote:

Ain't no bitrate high enough to make either track interesting...

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I like the songs but honestly, the more I hear, the more I appreciate Absurd. It’s a fun jaunt compared to the other tracks.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Incredible how many different opinions there are about GN'R songs!

I more or less like the post CD stuff a lot more than CD (demos excluded). As a fan I guess it is harder to judge. Most casual fans would probably say the songs are poor, compared to Jungle, NR etc.

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I more or less like the post CD stuff a lot more than CD (demos excluded). As a fan I guess it is harder to judge. Most casual fans would probably say the songs are poor, compared to Jungle, NR etc.

I think the material is just all out of context and in the wrong time. Had Axl not been so neurotic and just been bolder and released an album relatively quickly, I think it would have been a great success and contemporary with the time. Having them leak over the following 20 years in various stages of development was always going to ruin the presentation.

Songs like The General and Monsters are dividing opinion greatly. For me The General is the best song we've heard of the CD material. It's mature and brave, but 20 years too late and not really a GNR song. Release that 20 years ago with the Finck/Bucket lineup as 'Axl and co' and it'd have cult status now. Monsters for me is a throwaway, a song so shallow in it's construction it's similar to a mass produced pop song. But people like it because it's catchy.

Old Skool is terrible, the spelling of it is so immature and without knowing it's history, it sounds like a demo from the Appetite era that was nowhere near making the cut. Perhaps should have been on Chinese Democracy, it's contemporary with songs like Sorry and better than a couple of the songs on that album.

Rather than stringing any further releases from the CD archives over the next five years as is probably the plan, they need to just dump it in a vault online and move on from it. Either retire or do a new album that they release quickly without the need for a decade of needless delays that leaves the music outdated.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

. Most casual fans would probably say the songs are poor, compared to Jungle, NR etc.

And they'd be 100% correct too and it's not just casual fans who rightly think that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Clear wrote:

Wouldn't say garbage, but it gets old pretty fast. Monsters is best of the bunch, still can't stop listening to it

This is the problem with the drip feed strategy...and dripping it on a starved hardcore base.

Casuals and non-fans don't give the tiniest of shits while hardcores listen to it on a loop for a week or two until they get sick of it.

Now we're waiting for the next song that may never come before these songs have been officially released.

busngabb wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I think the material is just all out of context and in the wrong time.

Yep...all the material is clearly meant for the 2000-3 timeframe. It would be like the Beatles releasing songs from Sgt. Peppers in 1989...or Pink Floyd releasing Animals in 2002.

The lack of context for a potential casual audience is wacky in itself. These practically random songs just drop without knowing or caring about their history. It's unprecedented. No mention of an album or movie/video game soundtrack. There's no sign that the band cares about any of these songs. They're just there... waiting for you to listen...or not.

For me The General is the best song we've heard of the CD material. It's mature and brave, but 20 years too late and not really a GNR song.

While I don't think it's the best,  I agree in spirit. The album needed more of this and less Steph/Slash.

I also agree with Jimmy. None of this stuff is really mind blowing and it's now much easier to see why CD II never materialized. Other than incompetent management incapable of getting it released in the 2010s, there's no cohesive album. The leftovers are just a random hodgepodge of songs in varying states of completion. Whether they're good or bad doesn't change this fact.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:
Clear wrote:

Wouldn't say garbage, but it gets old pretty fast. Monsters is best of the bunch, still can't stop listening to it

This is the problem with the drip feed strategy...and dripping it on a starved hardcore base.

Casuals and non-fans don't give the tiniest of shits while hardcores listen to it on a loop for a week or two until they get sick of it.

Now we're waiting for the next song that may never come before these songs have been officially released.

For this reason I never play Perhaps, Absurd, Hard Skool etc. I want at least 40 minutes of music. Currently I'm holding out until I have enough songs to make that happen. The General, I've only played it 5 times since it leaked.

Couso

Couso wrote:
thelonetrader wrote:
daub wrote:

Perhaps - The General - Monsters
https://m.turbobit.net/h05tv9z1ybz5.html

So just to be clear, this is a rip of the Japanese CD?

I’ve tried to download this and it won’t work

Niarghh!

axlroselocke1

I received my magic 8 ball today. Now just waiting for the vinyl.

busngabb

busngabb wrote:
axlroselocke1 wrote:

I received my magic 8 ball today. Now just waiting for the vinyl.

Ask it if the mix will be any better on the vinyl and let us know what it says...

Board footer