You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The General and Monsters

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

Blaming everything on Caram is kind of hilarious. As if Axl is a control freak about everything but his music. Caram worked on those RTB versions and it sounded perfect. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were actually the Andy Wallace mixes, because they were NOT demos. *Axl* had them remixed to sound the way they do. I’m really sorry if anyone thinks otherwise.

Yep….

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

I agree with you in everything said above, and speaking of mixes, Chinese CD, the Antiquet leaks are the best mixes by far, flow, positioning of the instruments and the sound as a whole is wonderful, for me this is how it had How the final cd sounded!...but it's just my opinion, greetings to all!

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

An article on project management

"The music business leverages talent (technical) and production (practical), too. The comparison is so clearly evident that you can demonstrate why hiring an expert is going to save you time, money, and in the end, deliver your project with the highest level of quality.
Take the case of Glen Ballard. He is a songwriter and record producer. He co-wrote and produced an album you may have heard of, “Jagged Little Pill”, among many others. He was called “the calm hand at the controls” by the Los Angeles Times. Ballard began to work with upcoming artist at the time, Alanis Morisette. He brought her to the studio and immediately began writing and recording the music for her album – each song took only one or two takes. Many of the songs were written in less than a day; some in less than an hour, with the entire recording session lasting less than one month. It was a true collaboration between skilled talent, and production! The result became one of the most iconic albums of the 90s selling 33 million copies worldwide, going platinum 16 times in the United States, ten times in the UK, and seven times in Europe. It even has an award winning stage production.

Alternatively, we have William Bruce Baily, better known as W. Axl Rose, the lead singer of Guns N’ Roses. Their debut album, under the expertise of producer Mike Clink, was one of the biggest records of the era. Unfortunately, their last official album “Chinese Democracy” did not fare nearly as well; in fact it was a disappointment. It relied on presales (purchases committed to resellers such as Best Buy, and not fans) to get to less than two million in sales. The main disappointing factor here – it took nine years to release the album, with many in the industry claiming it actually took 14. The production credits for the album went to Rose and a little known producer, Caram Costanzo. This is a case where the creative overtook the production, and there were critical system failures.

When a comparison is drawn to the formal world of project management, you have clear success in the first case and definite failure in the second in many PM knowledge areas. Here are a few examples:

Scope Management: It is important to start out with a clearly defined goal, and to manage to that goal.

Schedule Management: Delivery is one of the key elements in a project. Staying on schedule impacts so many project variables.

Cost Management: As demonstrated in both examples, “bad” and “good” project management affects the end cost of your project. In this case, the cost of the recording sessions, salaries, equipment, etc. was astronomical for the album “Chinese Democracy” making it extremely difficult to profit in the end. “Jagged Little Pill” operated efficiently, with only about 30 days in the studio, keeping costs at a minimum.

Quality Management: Time and scope on these projects led to a clear differentiation of the final albums. Where “Jagged Little Pill” had huge success, “Chinese Democracy” did not. As projects drag on, team members lose interest, commitments wane, and focus is lost. A well-structured project with regular quality checks leads to a better overall product.

An expert Project Manager on your team is key for a successful project. We are here to help manage these knowledge areas. In the case of “Chinese Democracy,” the creative controlled these factors without constraint. It would be the same if you have a development or engineering team managing their own process. You may end up with something, but it rarely matches the desired outcome. True project success depends on close collaboration of the technical (or creative) and the practical (or production)."

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I get the point of the article but the analogy is pretty silly. CD didn’t have Slash. Alanis was doing her debut album.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

FlashFlood wrote:

I get the point of the article but the analogy is pretty silly. CD didn’t have Slash. Alanis was doing her debut album.

I’ll go a step further than that. It’s a bad comparison because the Guns N’ Roses brand and Axl Rose were known names across the globe and Chinese Democracy was arguably the most anticipated/hyped album (in that it had become an industry joke for never coming) of all time. I’m not disputing that CD doesn’t have production problems, we all know that. But the idea any producer could treat Axl Rose in 2000 the way a producer treated Alanis Morissette who was a complete unknown is laughably absurd.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I'm just throwing that in there for discussion. Twas on the net.

Prior to all the lawsuit stuff, the latest from GN'R was all positive. There is new, the beginnings of new GN'R material that is not related to CD, there. There was also wording that some historic older material was possible. Slash is expecting this later next year. I asked though about his previous assertions that there was an album for all the post CD material that had been release, and there was no response. So, I don't know.

didok1985
 Rep: 0 

didok1985 wrote:

Well I didnt get to hear the last version of the general but I had my expectations to it to sound a bit close to the live version.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

msg deleted

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:

It's Tuesday and still no announcement of a digital/streaming release for this week.  I may have to wait and order the Japan CD since I don't have a vinyl player.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I'm just throwing that in there for discussion. Twas on the net.

Prior to all the lawsuit stuff, the latest from GN'R was all positive. There is new, the beginnings of new GN'R material that is not related to CD, there. There was also wording that some historic older material was possible. Slash is expecting this later next year. I asked though about his previous assertions that there was an album for all the post CD material that had been release, and there was no response. So, I don't know.

Interesting. What exactly is Slash expecting later next year? Them to start working on new material or a release of older material?

Or the "historic older material" is in relation to the new material they're supposed to start working on, e.g. it has to do with completing pre-NuGnR material from the mid-90s?

Board footer