You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Chinese Democracy "On the schedule"

The olympics? Seems a bit...I don't know pompous? One of the biggest events on the planet, it'd be a great marketing tool, being in China and everything but how would you make an announcement at the Olympics, have the torch spell it out in Olympic flames?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Also, China isn't interested in anything democracy being mentioned on their soil. If what MSL is saying comes to fruition,, then the only thing I can imagine is a commercial or two during the event(and those commercials wont be shown in China).

Axl aiming for mainstream news attention? A GNR promo not being allowed broadcast in China would certainly attract attention.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Yeah and I'd rather not have further confusion on the subject matter of Chinese Democracy. Running a promo during the olympics, that comes off as a jab at China, in any way, will cause further confusion witht he lyrical content and meaning of the record. It isn't political. Not at all. The song CD isn't even about China.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Wow...

Things haven't been rolling this fast in a very very long time.  (when it comes to the album itself)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

The song CD isn't even about China.

well personally i think it is...kinda but only metaphorically speaking...still it kinda has a dual meaning IMO

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

The song CD isn't even about China.

well personally i think it is...kinda but only metaphorically speaking...still it kinda has a dual meaning IMO

I thought it was at first, but i think it's talking to a few different audiences.  Sometimes it's to the fan base, other times to ex-members, and even at times to himself i think. 

Very ironic lyrics, and very amazing.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

If you mention the Falun Gong, whether it's about China or not, China's gonna be pissed. Axl knows that, so in some respect it must be about China.

like it or not, the closer we get to the olympics, the more china's policies will be a topic of world discussion. if you're in charge of marketing an album called chinese democracy and you think the olympics being in china will get you more coverage, you seize the opportunity regardless of how little the album actually has to do with democracy in china . . .

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

like it or not, the closer we get to the olympics, the more china's policies will be a topic of world discussion. if you're in charge of marketing an album called chinese democracy and you think the olympics being in china will get you more coverage, you seize the opportunity regardless of how little the album actually has to do with democracy in china . . .

Oh I agree the world's eye is on China. Hell, some wanted Bush to boycott the Olympics. He said no, which is probably one of his smartest decisions while in office.

Its just a double edged sword. There are reasons for releasing it to coincide with the Olympics, but does the album really need something of that nature on its legacy?

They're about to be on a video game thats gonna fly off the shelves, and if CD is in stores either a few weeks before or after, it will most certainly hit the number one spot.

Just not sure throwing China into what's shaping up to be a cool marketing strategy is a wise move.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I was just thinking about this as I rode my bike to the train station tonight. It would be a crime to pass on the opportunity to capitalize on the Olympics. Imagine a commercial with the CD intro playing with various images of China, then after Axl screams, WHAM! The screen goes black, then appears the words 'Chinese Democracy. 11.07.08. Guns n Roses.'

Board footer