You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Chinese Democracy "On the schedule"

James Lofton wrote:

This Rock Band thing basically guarantees it high chart position, but that depends on where U2 isand if GNR can follow through. U2's fans aren't notorious downloaders like GNR fans are. While GNR fans across the globe are sharing links, U2 fans are in line at Best Buy.

Only because it's been the only option, you can't go to Best Buy and buy leaks. We've really got no idea how 'bad' the fanbase is going to be for downloading, there hasn't been a GNR release in the era of downloading (except OMG) as yet.

Shackler better be good though......the success of the album pretty much depends on it.

Very true, the first single was always going to be the key to the whole thing, and it seems (we hope) it's going to be Shackler. This one song is shouldering 14 years of hype and expectation, as you said, "it better be good"!

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

You're all underestimating the commercial power of this band based solely on the underperformance of a soundtrack song from almost a decade ago. The fact that Axl Rose and a bunch of hired Guns can even half fill an arena while touring behind nothing more than a repackaging of the debut album of a long gone lineup means a helluva lot. It's no coincidence they're debuting their new material on a game owned by MTV and not that "other" game. Can you imagine the marketing deal Azoff's worked out with the network(s)? Again, you're all underestimating what this brand name is capable of. Oh, and the music will speak for itself. It's quite brilliant, despite some of the minority opinion around here.

Sky Dog wrote:

for the record, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2's last release in 2004, only went 3 times platinum in the US (source RIAA website)........Coldplay sells more records than them at this point. U2 also hasn't released a new record since the industry went in the tank either. Personally, I think Gnr can go toe to toe with them in record sales worldwide. Where they can't touch U2 is in the touring department.

PS and I will leave record scheduling and business plans to Jimmy Iovine.....he has done alright in that department.:thumbup:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

on top of U2 GnR will be competing with Metallica's comeback as well as Eminem's comeback and dr. Dre's comeback

this is a big year musically

Oasis, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Zach DeLaRocha & Pearl Jam are also scheduled for a releases at some point this year

think more - "the olympics (8.8.8) are a good time to launch promotion" . . .

think less - "the olympics are involved in the promotion" . . .

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
von wrote:

You're all underestimating the commercial power of this band based solely on the underperformance of a soundtrack song from almost a decade ago. The fact that Axl Rose and a bunch of hired Guns can even half fill an arena while touring behind nothing more than a repackaging of the debut album of a long gone lineup means a helluva lot. It's no coincidence they're debuting their new material on a game owned by MTV and not that "other" game. Can you imagine the marketing deal Azoff's worked out with the network(s)? Again, you're all underestimating what this brand name is capable of. Oh, and the music will speak for itself. It's quite brilliant, despite some of the minority opinion around here.

Exactly!:thumbup:

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
rose22 wrote:

you're opinions are facts only in your mind. i believe your time is wasted here and cannot understand how you could call bono ( the real bono ) and u2 a giant compared to axl and gn'r. i believe cd will be released regardless of who it goes up against and i believe it will be a success. that is my OPINION.

16  Well you said enough right there to render your opinion all but useless.  My tiem si wasted here? 16  Carry on small fry. We all love mindless entertainment from time to time. You're obviously filling that quota.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

for the record, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2's last release in 2004, only went 3 times platinum in the US (source RIAA website)........Coldplay sells more records than them at this point. U2 also hasn't released a new record since the industry went in the tank either. Personally, I think Gnr can go toe to toe with them in record sales worldwide. Where they can't touch U2 is in the touring department.

PS and I will leave record scheduling and business plans to Jimmy Iovine.....he has done alright in that department.:thumbup:

Coldplay's 2005 X & Y sold roughly 8.5 million copies worldwide. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sold over 10 million copies.  How is Coldplay outselling U2?

U2 owns everyone when it comes to marketing and promotion. That's all I'm saying. If Gn'R and U2 come out at the same time U2 will be every where while everyone else fights for scraps. I dont' believe Gn'R can go toe to toe with U2 in album sales. Nor can they in the touring department.  We'll see I guess. I think Gn'R cleans up over Metallica but not U2. Axl will be lucky to have a hit single in my opinion. Thats' key in selling an album. U2 is guaranteed to have  a  hit single.  I'm not here to preach U2 but for anyone to think a Gn'R record coming out at the same time as a U2 record is a good thing is a bit weird to me. Chinese Democracy will not feed off  "Solar Eclipse"(or whatever they name it). If anything they'll be hurt by it as U2 will swallow up all promotional avenues first and foremost. Bono and the rest of U2 wont' shy away from interveiws, they wont' shy away from covershoots, they won't want to not talk about their album.  Then you've got Bono's political stuff that media outlets will wanna touch on  now that U2 the band is again relevant with an album.  How does Gn'R honestly go toe to toe with that?

Gn'R vs Metallica in this regard?  16  Good luck with that Lars

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Bono wrote:
rose22 wrote:

you're opinions are facts only in your mind. i believe your time is wasted here and cannot understand how you could call bono ( the real bono ) and u2 a giant compared to axl and gn'r. i believe cd will be released regardless of who it goes up against and i believe it will be a success. that is my OPINION.

16  Well you said enough right there to render your opinion all but useless.  My tiem si wasted here? 16  Carry on small fry. We all love mindless entertainment from time to time. You're obviously filling that quota.

Lets try and be civil.:smile:

I'm not here to preach U2

I do agree with you though regarding your U2 points. U2 hits grand slams.

Board footer