You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NINE INCH NAILS Thread

James wrote:

8.01.2008: NIN Minneapolis show at Target Center postponed to November 25th

We regret to announce that due to illness, the Minneapolis show originally scheduled for Saturday, August 2nd at the Target Center has been postponed. The band is sincerely sorry for the last minute announcement, but after receiving doctor's orders not to perform, Trent has reluctantly agreed to the postponement.

The concert is being rescheduled for Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 at Target Center. All tickets purchased for the August 2nd concert will be honored on the new date. For those unable to attend the rescheduled date of November 25th, a refund will be available at original point of purchase.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Their Lollapoolza gig went on without a hitch, which is nice considering both Trent's throat illness (his singing was fine from all the reviews I've heard, but his speaking voice was hoarse) and the violence of Rage's set the night before. Hopefully going on earlier than a usual gig at Lolla, having Monday off, and the prospect of playing what will be one of the best-attended shows of the tour in Toronto will be enough to get Trent and his voice through tomorrow.

I'll be leaving around noon tomorrow afternoon. I won't have videos or a pics, but I'll write a review Wednesday for those of you still deciding if you want to catch these guys in 08. Anyone here going to this show by any chance? Neemo's the only one I know who's in that area, and I know he doesn't care for NIN. I don't want to meet anyone (no offense), but if anyone's going please post in here about it.

Communist China

I saw NIN in Toronto last night.

Setlist:
Letting You
Discipline
March of the Pigs
Head Down
The Frail
Closer
Gave Up
Corona Radiata (partial)
The Warning
Vessel
5 Ghosts I
6 Ghosts I
19 Ghosts III
Piggy
The Greater Good
Pinion
Wish
Terrible Lie
Survivalism
The Big Come Down
31 Ghosts IV
Only
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole

ENCORE:
Echoplex
God Given
The Good Soldier
Hurt
In This Twilight

First of all, that's a long set for guys who are playing every other day, and a singer who's nursing a sick throat.

They came on pretty early (a very pleasant surprise) and The Slip songs that are kinda meh on the album (1,000,000 , Letting you) suddenly sounded awesome and the energy from the band was great. I was in seats pretty far off to the side, but I could still see Trent Robin and Josh at all times. Sometimes Justin was out of sight. They rocked really hard, way harder than the albums do, and everyone was on top of it. Watching Josh Freese is a treat, and seeing Robin in a totally comfortable enviornment was a blast as well. These two guys are phenomenal musicians.

The fast pace slowed up some then, and I walked around the ACC to see the show from some different perspectives, and I got to watch The Warning, Vessel, and the Ghosts part of the show with a dead on view from the seats in the back (they didn't sell 300 level seats directly in the back; only on the sides which was weird). That was really cool because the light screens (which they use 3 of at the same time, directly in front of each other) were really good then. I wish I had stayed there for Piggy and The Greater Good as some more very cool stuff was going on then. It was very impressive, but the Ghosts stuff made the fans sit down for a while.

However, if you want to get momentum back, Pinion-Wish is the way to go. Trent's voice had had enough reat and he came out powerful for another rocking part of the set. Crowd was very into it, although the floor looked pretty tame, and the finished out the regular set with a bunch of fast hard popular songs.

The encore, which wasn't even really necessary, featured the best Year Zero songs and a good rendition of Hurt. In This Twilight ended the show, with a backdrop of some apocolyptic view. They all left the stage one by one and each member got their own applause.

Highlights: 1,000,000 (surprisingly), Wish, Terrible Lie (they get some real power with the 'Hey God' chords), God Given (which featured Robin whispering into the mic).

This is the only show I've been to that at no point did I consider the end of it. I was firmly rooted in the moment by this awesome spectacle.

NIN is the tour of the summer. I may have enjoyed Blind Melon more, but for NIN you don't even have to be a fan really. My brother really liked it and he only liked The Hand That Feeds going in. Hopefully Trent gets these guys in a studio when the tourings over, turns off the drum machine, lets Robin solo, and just goes nuts with it.

James

James wrote:

Awesome review. Makes me really look forward to the Oakland show. That setlist is insane.

Communist China

From Rolling Stone, a hilarious excerpt included...

As an experiment, Reznor gave away a pair of tickets for the tour's dress rehearsal by hiding an envelope under a rock in Burbank. Using a Google Earth link on his Website, Reznor indicated the tickets' location with a question mark. Fans quickly found the envelope. "Well, we couldn't leave that alone," Reznor says. "We hid another 30, in places from Watts Towers to behind a mirror in a strip-club restroom to a Home Depot." One envelope was hidden in a graveyard; the location was announced after it had closed for the day: "We wanted to see if anyone would break in, because I would've. And someone did." Reznor contemplated providing the location of Axl Rose's house and encouraging people to dig in his yard for tickets, "just to see how many people got arrested on his front lawn."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ … nin_tour/2

I REALLY wish he would've done that. And I wonder how Axl would respond with his lead guitarist being a major asset to the man who caused half his yard to be destroyed by ticket-shoveling.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Totally right CC. You dont' need to be a fan to enjoy a NIN show. My buddy isn't a fan at all and his eyes were glued to the stage. he loved it. Also you're bang on about  the pinion/wish "comeback" such a  wicked way to relaunch the show after what was basically the interlude. Almost an encore break without taking an actual break. They didn't play The Greater Good or Piggy in that slot at my show but I'm sure the impact was the same when the pinion chords started kicking in.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:

As an experiment, Reznor gave away a pair of tickets for the tour's dress rehearsal by hiding an envelope under a rock in Burbank. Using a Google Earth link on his Website, Reznor indicated the tickets' location with a question mark. Fans quickly found the envelope. "Well, we couldn't leave that alone," Reznor says. "We hid another 30, in places from Watts Towers to behind a mirror in a strip-club restroom to a Home Depot." One envelope was hidden in a graveyard; the location was announced after it had closed for the day: "We wanted to see if anyone would break in, because I would've. And someone did." Reznor contemplated providing the location of Axl Rose's house and encouraging people to dig in his yard for tickets, "just to see how many people got arrested on his front lawn."

I REALLY wish he would've done that. And I wonder how Axl would respond with his lead guitarist being a major asset to the man who caused half his yard to be destroyed by ticket-shoveling.

Is this something Trent actually said? I'm sensing some annymosity between the guys in NIN and Axl. Hmmmm.....

James

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I cant hardly believe he didn't do it. It would have been talked about in music circles for decades.

He probably knew Axl would be licking his chops on a lawsuit because Axl has a fetish for them. Trent isn't interested in that sort of thing, so its probably the only thing that stopped him from doing it.

Tons of people would have shown up had he done it.

Trent is probably the most relevant artist on the scene today. He takes the pulse of the entire industry, and acts accordingly. I'm not even a huge fan, but it blows my mind how this guy knows exactly what to do.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'm gonna have to go see this....:ummm: and I thought Tool and Radiohead had a cool stage and light show.:mosh:

That's from the Seattle show too.  I wish i coulda gone and saw that.  Would have cost me a lot of money and i just didn't have it then.

Communist China

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom … eznor.html

Apparently Year Zero is not dead yet. This interview was conducted before the Toronto show was played, on the 5th, and he says they've recently pitched a 2-season TV series to HBO, and that if it were to happen there'd be another ARG and a second album to tie things up. While I didn't love the music on YZ, I did love the lyrics, the concept, and the ARG. Even if he show sucks I want to know how that universe ends up.

Board footer