You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: First single prediction

faldor wrote:
ereeper wrote:

I don't care which 14 songs were choosen.  I just will be happy to own the actual album after all this time.  The only thing I really haven't cared for is Silkworms and I never heard it live.  Those that I know that have heard it live said it was much better in person.

That's the way it should be.  You'd think everyone would feel that way after such a long wait, the negativity will never seize to amaze me.  It'll never go away I guess, I just have to realize that.  No matter how good or bad things look, people are always gonna look for something worse.

To get back on topic

"Better" is not MY favorite track of the bunch, probably not even in the top half.  I initially liked I.R.S. and TWAT the best.  TWAT may be a little too complex to be a first single.  Might wanna get something less than 5 or 6 minutes out there as the lead single, then drop that at a later date.  I'd say that has the potential to be the biggest single, but since most liked Better off the bat, I guess that'd be the best choice.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I get a feeling that none of the 3 new songs will be 'single' material. Not sure what to think of Scraped, but if Sorry is Coma II, and This I Love is some massively epic, extended length song, they might not be cut out for singles.

I think there's significance in the fact of what was played at the Best Buy employee con, and I think there's significance in the first 'new' songs to be 'trusted' is Shackler's & If The World.

CD, If The World, Shackler's, & TWAT could be the songs on tap for singles.

Which I think is a good lineup.

Axelle01
 Rep: 3 

Axelle01 wrote:

better

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

Better. It's the only song with anything resembling a hook.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

CD, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 singles drop. A rocker and a ballad. Azoff did that with Journey in 1996.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I agree, the three unheard tracks may very well play a huge role in this thing. If Sorry is like doom metal, well, I doubt that's the one. I think the rumor of the Nightrain for 2008 song is the closest thing. I dunno how Prostitute is that song... at least what we heard with those lyrics.

I think Catcher in the Rye and Better could great singles, but I think they'd have more power as a follow up to a more commercial song.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Brett wrote:

If Sorry is like doom metal, well, I doubt that's the one.

Not sure why Sorry should be excluded just because Baz labeled it 'doom metal'. Doom metal is essentially Sabbath(and some other classic bands) and to a certain extent Soundgarden. Sorry can only hope to reach those heights, and if it does, its single worthy.

I think the rumor of the Nightrain for 2008 song is the closest thing. I dunno how Prostitute is that song... at least what we heard with those lyrics.

Prostitute was simply a case of fan hype eclipsing reality. All we ever had were those few comments on the track, and each person envisioned it sounding a certain way. I was expecting it to sound like The Cure meets Slayer. Obviously it didn't. It basically sounds like an outtake from UYI II.

I think Catcher in the Rye and Better could great singles, but I think they'd have more power as a follow up to a more commercial song.

Yeah, but whats the commercial song? Excluding the three unknowns, there are no big hits on this. We have no Vertigos. We have no Jungles, SCOMs, PCs,etc. I didn't expect any, but this album always needed at least one track that would grab the world by its collective balls.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Well James the interesting thing is that when I played a few friends the 9 song leak they were as you say "grabbed by the balls" with CD itself. they thought it was a very good song.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

WTTJ was not an instant hit when first released, how can you be so deluded as to the think GNR should be catering to what is on contemporary radio "oh this doesnt sound anything like hinder, it couldnt possibly be a hit, we need a more nickelback sounding song, something that everyone will like". GNR never catered to the mainstream, and they never will, the mainstream came to them, and if the new songs appeal to the general public(not what appeals to you) then once again the mainstream will be forced to stand up and take notice. if they recreated WTTJ it wouldn't be a hit, simple.  the public will judge these tracks, if they have the same appeal, that same universally unique sound whilst still remaining within the mainstream threshold then the songs, whatever they choose as singles, will become hits.

looking for another SCOM, PC, or WTTJ is just stupid, if we took ourselves back to 1986 and WTTJ leaked, in an unfinished format you'd all be saying "wow i doubt  that will appeal to the mainstream radio listeners of today, its nothing like def leopard".

the point is WTTJ, SCOM etc. have the benefit of legacy, nothing will have that immediate effect unless given time, nothing is an instant classic so stop looking for one.

i am tired of reading "oh this album has no chance, wheres a paradise city like song? wheres the next SCOM"

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

WTTJ was not an instant hit when first released

The second AFD got promo, Jungle exploded.

how can you be so deluded as to the think GNR should be catering to what is on contemporary radio

14 Are you joking? Of course they have to cater to the mainstream. That's what successful bands do. If you don't, your albums don't sell and you don't get recognized. The fact that every song is basically grabbing every musical trend since the mid 90s should tell you what the aim is(or was I should say).

GNR never catered to the mainstream

looking for another SCOM, PC, or WTTJ is just stupid

You miss the point, although I'm not surprised. No one is looking for AFD. The examples are used because those tracks propelled them to the top of the rock world. If the album doesn't have any strong, catchy singles, it drops like a turd. Fact. Even more of a fact in this era that's propelled more by songs than actual albums.

if we took ourselves back to 1986 and WTTJ leaked, in an unfinished format you'd all be saying "wow i doubt  that will appeal to the mainstream radio listeners of today, its nothing like def leopard".

No, the song would have been just as catchy and addicting in 1986 as it was in 1987.

the point is WTTJ, SCOM etc. have the benefit of legacy, nothing will have that immediate effect unless given time, nothing is an instant classic so stop looking for one.

The people who lived it knew how magical those tracks were when they were fresh. We didn't need 20 years to reach that conclusion.

i am tired of reading "oh this album has no chance, wheres a paradise city like song? wheres the next SCOM"

Then you might want to avoid all GNR sites and other music sites for the rest of the year, because the album is going to get comparisons to the discography. That's what happens when you label an album GNR. The name has very high standards.

Board footer