You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Chinese Democracy Liner Note Discussions *EXTREME SPOILERS*

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think these liner notes have thrown people for a loop. The sentiment Olorin just posted regarding 'its not GNR' will get louder. Also, some of the members that the hardcores propped up as gods for years had a very minimal impact on the record.

Gonna be a lot of mixed emotions over the release of this record.

Whether people consider it GNR or not doesn't change the fact Axl had sole control over what went on. He basically cherry picks what HE wants. I don't really see anything wrong with that since the success or failure of this all rides on him. However, I was never one of those people who thought the new incarnation would change the music scene like the old band did. All I looked forward to was a good album. Never expected a solid and stable lineup to build a second legacy. The band doesn't even have a current lineup. The band, much like the music, is just a cut and paste job of whatever Axl wants at that moment.

If Axl wants Chevy Chase to join the band and tour, its 'Hello Chevy, goodbye Ron". Just like that. These changes are so easy for him, and even made easier by the fact his hardcore base falls for it hook, line, and sinker. If Chevy Chase joined the band, more than half the fan sites would censor Ron and act like he never existed while a bunch of fans would start worshiping Chevy before he recorded one note or set foot on stage.

Axl is GNR. He's the only member that's not expendable. I think the liner notes help reflect this fact and should put all theories about any set lineup taking the world by storm on ice.

A 2008 lineup promoting a 2001 album? Cant wait to see that.

Fully agreed James. 

This has always been Axl's project.  He does what he wants and i can't believe people expected anything different from that. 

The 2008 lineup promoting a 2001 album is a better improvement from the 2006 lineup promoting a 1987 album.  16  Though AFD sales did go up during that tour.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

apparently, bp @ cd.com has said, 
"That 'Sleeve' is not the final one and is not finished. much of the input was from Universal in that version."

is this guy 'in the know'?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

anyone considered that maybe all parties involved saw may's work as another expense of the album and didn't want to have to pay it???

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I hear all of that with some quite bitter, resentful and occasionaly spiteful lyrics I have ever heard from a middle aged artist.

Well, look at what has transpired over the years. He was the lead singer of one of the biggest bands in history and it all blew up in his face.He's spent over a decade trying to build it into something, and has went through so many different incarnations that its impossible to tour the record behind the true visionaries behind it. He allowed the hype machine to get out of control to the point none of it could live up to those insane expectations.

He also has major issues with women, and doesn't look like those problems were ever solved.

It isn't really a surprise that the album isn't brewing with optimism.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

more importantly, he was never able to resolve issues stemming back to his childhood. instead, he was fronting the biggest band in the world and, like james said, he had new issues to deal with when that fell apart. somewhere inside of axl is a very happy child still waiting to get out so he can grow up.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Well obviously I knew it was Axls album but I always believed that I accepted it as a GN'R album, now I dont.

I dont believe Axl is GN'R just because he is the only one left. He is still just old Axl, but with a mighty brand name at his disposal. Its a new frame of mind for me.

Now I really want this band, or whoever that consists of come the tour, if any tour - to stand on their own feet. Play this album out live and any other new songs you feel are not "too advanced and ahead of their time for Guns N Roses fans" (shut up Pitman, we all heard silkworms!), make this new material the main body for this band and fill in the gaps with the old classic songs.

I know I'm not adding anything new to the neverending debate, but I have honestly never felt like this since I heard the whole package. And to quote Rocky Balboa, as he singlehandedly ended the Cold War:

"If I can change!  And yoooo can chaaaaange!! Everybodyyyy caaan chaaaaaange!!!"

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
estrangedpaul wrote:
chicken_dinner wrote:

dumbest decision so far is replacing may solos by finck/bumble, 2 inferiour wankers in mah opinion big_smile

may is way too nice, but then again if he really told what he felt, im sure the gnr camp would rip him like they are used to.

all this band needs is bucket and fortus, sack the rest of pretenders...then we got something.

Eh, fortus is irrelevant to chinese democracy. All the songs were written before he joined and he much less contributions that even Bumblefoot who joined 4 years later.

Rose, Freese, Buckethead, Stinson and Huge are the 5-man core of the band on the album, like Guns N'Roses always was - 5 guys. Dizzy and Chris add an extra depth to songwriting and the music. The extra guitarists added bits here and there.

Brian May should be insulted his solo on Catcher In The Rye is amazing and I'm not even a Queen fan/

Dude you way undervaluing Chris Pitman, as people continue to do.

This man is as much GN'R as Axl Rose is. His contributions to this album surpass Bucket, and even Paul Huge. People always have disgarded Chris as the "8th member", but in reality he was as much of a driving force on this album as Axl.

As for that earlier poster talking about BP's connections... his connections at their absolute most, is having contact with Mr. Rose's housekeeper.

If these liner notes are not final, then it further confirms that this was orchestrated band leak, for fans to download, read, critique, and then GN'R will go back and make the appropriate corrections.

Don't be shocked when you get the final version if the typos are corrected, there's two band photos, and a roster check...

GUNS N' ROSES
Vocals - W. Axl Rose
Guitars - Robin Finck, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
Rhythm Guitar - Richard Fortus
Bass - Tommy Stinson
Drums - Frank Ferrer
Keys - Dizzy Reed, Chris Pitman

They also need to make a point of saying Guns N' Roses thanks the fans, who've put up with them through all the fucking shit, and Axl's thanks needs to omit Jarmo & Eric. Don't thank anyone from the internet, it'll just breed more hate.

Sky Dog wrote:

can we just be happy the damn thing is getting released and it is pretty damn good.....

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I hear all of that with some quite bitter, resentful and occasionaly spiteful lyrics I have ever heard from a middle aged artist.

Well, look at what has transpired over the years. He was the lead singer of one of the biggest bands in history and it all blew up in his face.He's spent over a decade trying to build it into something, and has went through so many different incarnations that its impossible to tour the record behind the true visionaries behind it. He allowed the hype machine to get out of control to the point none of it could live up to those insane expectations.

He also has major issues with women, and doesn't look like those problems were ever solved.

It isn't really a surprise that the album isn't brewing with optimism.

to my understanding it`s good for an artist to face some problems in his life to cope with in his lyrics or his music... i mean does anyone want to listen to axl singing about his boring life as a millionaire??  face it people, axl isn`t 25 anymore and he probably had to deal with a lot of shit in his life...  as james says, it`s definitely NOT a surprise to see quite some pessimism in his lyrics.

about that revolving door thing..  i don´t really see the problem here at this point. of course bucket isn`t there anymore, but he wasn´t in 2006 either, so that`s no news. we don´t know about the rest of the lineup. albeit being a great fan of robin, i am as big of a fan of buckethead. however, as important as he is and was to gnr, he was not one of the main writers of chinese democracy. he wrote 2 songs if i`m not mistaken and shines with his solos on other people`s songs, but that`s it. i remember if the world and rhiad being credited as buckethead`s work on here, but we all know how that panned out...

that`s not to say i don`t see his major role on this record, i just don`t look at him as the core of the new line up. that`s another point, there IS a new line up imo. and we all know that if it was up to axl buckethead would be part of this line up right know...

these liner notes are definitely another example of "axl can do whatever he wants and people are bitching" i think.....

i mean...  what the fuck is going on with you people? stop the negativity and celebrate the fuckin record coming out!! or listen to some other music and get a life. chinese democracy isn`t the best record ever made and won`t change the music world???  no shit, sherlock......   who the fuck cares? it`s obvious, that a 46 year old rockstar won`t do things like that, but there are people like myself, who will enjoy this album no matter what!!  i preordered chinese democracy on amazon and i`ve waited more than 5 years for this day and i don´t care if there`s a fuckin spelling error in the (unfinished) booklet or not...

peace out!!:thumbup:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

can we just be happy the damn thing is getting released and it is pretty damn good.....

How would we be Guns N' Roses fans doing that?

Board footer