You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

polluxlm wrote:

I would say it falls in Electric Tears territory, but I guess you could find similarities to Colma and PO too. If I would name a particular tune I think it would be track 2 off Population Override.

The Scraped solo has a very Elephant Man sound to it. May be my favorite solo among the hard rockers.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You must have heard a different version of CD than I have.  There is no killer intro (there's a snoozer intro though), no killer riff, and maybe 1 decent solo.  That's the beauty of art though...people can look at (or listen to) the same piece of art and see (hear) completely different things.

Sure, but there can still be some objectivity to it. I don't know about you and your alignment, but the impression I've gotten is that those most disappointed with the album are the 'classic rock group'. Meaning they have more a problem with the type of music being played than the quality of it.

Not really. I listen a lot of music from NIN remixes and 60s & 70s bands to stoner bands, Dream Theater, BLS, BH, Diana Krall, Nick Cave, Tori Amos, Björk, old blues, grunge... But most of the new music is just not doing it for me. I love Axl's lyrics, love most of his melodies, but the music lacks the quality in most cases. My opinion is based on the leaks.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
madagas wrote:

Buzz, you will love Bucket's solo on Sorry....very good blues with absolutely perfect tone.

Word. That solo carries meaning on so many levels. Axl has been putting punches to Slash for like 4 verses and then Bucket comes along and simply owns in the Slashest way he can. I couldn't help thinking it as an extension of the lyrics, talking to Slash in his own language "see dude, I really don't need you at all, best regards, Axl". 16

I fully agree.  People complain about there being no "Slash" solos, well i think the solo on Sorry takes that to a whole new level. 

I kinda got that same impression.  The solo really felt like an extension of the lyrics.  And i love the way you put it.  9

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You must have heard a different version of CD than I have.  There is no killer intro (there's a snoozer intro though), no killer riff, and maybe 1 decent solo.  That's the beauty of art though...people can look at (or listen to) the same piece of art and see (hear) completely different things.

Sure, but there can still be some objectivity to it. I don't know about you and your alignment, but the impression I've gotten is that those most disappointed with the album are the 'classic rock group'. Meaning they have more a problem with the type of music being played than the quality of it.

Not really. I listen a lot of music from NIN remixes and 60s & 70s bands to stoner bands, Dream Theater, BLS, BH, Diana Krall, Nick Cave, Tori Amos, Björk, old blues, grunge... But most of the new music is just not doing it for me. I love Axl's lyrics, love most of his melodies, but the music lacks the quality in most cases. My opinion is based on the leaks.

The whole problem in quality is the last word.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think anything new GN'R has done is as complex as Dream Theater, and I do agree songs like Coma, Locomotive & Estranged are more complex, but I think alot of the new GN'R, ballads at least, have a real feel of Dream Theater. Some of their simpler, maybe 5 minutes or less stuff. Not their 12 minute epics.

There's certaintly a Dream Theater influence there on the 'sound' of the ballads and how they want it... imo.

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

i hear not one gram of dream theater in the new songs. i hear uyi era gnr,  queen, beatles, pink floyd and nin with some grunge here and there.

dream theater, waddafok, hehe.

daviebuckethead
 Rep: 1 

i agree with the dream theater comment. i said this a few days ago in relation to this i love, (its sounds like a track from scenes from a memory).

in terms of guitar complaints......imo, the current line up to fine on the heavier tracks, BUT, when it comes to a ballad (witht he exception of sorry which has a beautiful solo) there is something missing.

I have NEVER< EVER said i felt the new line up missed slash. NEVER. But i will admit that on this i love, one of his bluesy dynamic and soulful solo's would suit it better.

Its not about who is a beter guitarist, its just conflicting styles

jimb0
 Rep: 1 

jimb0 wrote:

Finck is fine on better, it's short enough for him.  BUT this I love??? way too much Finck.  My fervent hope is that this is not the album version.   Hopefully it has a couple measures of Finck and then Bucket rips it up his twat / November rain type style. 

I don't care if bucket is not slash, at least he doesn't sound like an amateur while solo'ing over Axl's piano.   He sounds like he fucking knows what he's doing, even if it is with more technicality than emotion.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This I Love sounds like a Freddie Mercury piano ballad from Queen imo. Catcher is very Queen too.

But the ones I think feel have the most Dream Theater impression is Better, Street of Dreams, and Prostitute. Especially Prostitute.

The songs I feel that are the most 'classic Guns' is TWAT & I.R.S.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This I Love sounds like Barry Manilow on crack.

Board footer