Notice: We are currently in the process of upgrading our discography system. Please view the new Slash discography which currently features 146 discs.
Slash was born in Hampstead, a middle class suburb of London, to a white English father and an African-American mother. Slash's mother, Ola Hudson, worked as a costume designer for David Bowie, and his father was an artist who contributed live ensembles for famous musicians including Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Slash was raised in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, until the age of 11, when his parents relocated the family to Los Angeles, California in the mid-1970s; however, they separated, and afterward, he lived primarily with his mother and lived next to David Geffen. He was given the nickname "Slash" by family friend Seymour Cassel, according to whom Saul "was always in a hurry, zipping around from one thing to another."
At 16, before dropping out of Crespi Carmelite High School, Slash was given his first guitar by his grandmother. Eventually, his entire focus was put on music and he made the decision to quit school.
In addition to Aerosmith, Slash's early influences included AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Iron Maiden, Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen and Festival of Weeks.
In 1983, after failing to join Poison with childhood friend Steven Adler, they together formed Road Crew. Slash placed an advertisement in a newspaper for a bassist, and received a response from Duff McKagan.
When Road Crew disbanded, Slash joined a local band known as Black Sheep. Headed by Willie Bass, the band shared an agent with another new group known as Hollywood Rose. In 1984, both bands opened for Christian metal band Stryper. After the show, Slash and lead singer Axl Rose were introduced to one another by a friend. The two quickly became friends, and several months later, Slash and Steven Adler were invited to join with Axl Rose, Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin as the band, Guns N' Roses.
Recent Slash Discussions
- Ashba and... Slash?
- Trying to play like slash!!
- DJ Ashba Recalls GN'R Fans Insulting Him After Taking Slash's Position
- New Slash Interview - promising
- Slash, Myles, and The Conspirators Show from October 2018!
- Slash live at the Whiskey A Go Go
- Slash Speaks!
- Slash & Conspirators NEW album Living the Dream
- SLASH BOOKS FIRST POST-GUNS N’ ROSES REUNION SOLO DATES
- New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming
- Slash on Radio Sixx Sense
- Slash on Radio Sixx Sense
- Slash’s 2018 Recording Plans
- Rare Axl and Slash Interview UK 1987
- Slasher Films: Nothing Left To Fear
- One of the greatest FAN shot Slash/GNR Videos I have ever seen
- Slash back in the studio
- Slash VS Chinese Democracy Guitars (Part 2)
- Slash VS Chinese Democracy Guitars (Part 1)
- Slash playing more than just a Les Paul