Notice: We are currently in the process of upgrading our discography system. Please view the new Slash discography which currently features 146 discs.
Slash was born in Hampstead, a middle class suburb of London, to a white English father and an African-American mother. Slash's mother, Ola Hudson, worked as a costume designer for David Bowie, and his father was an artist who contributed live ensembles for famous musicians including Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Slash was raised in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, until the age of 11, when his parents relocated the family to Los Angeles, California in the mid-1970s; however, they separated, and afterward, he lived primarily with his mother and lived next to David Geffen. He was given the nickname "Slash" by family friend Seymour Cassel, according to whom Saul "was always in a hurry, zipping around from one thing to another."
At 16, before dropping out of Crespi Carmelite High School, Slash was given his first guitar by his grandmother. Eventually, his entire focus was put on music and he made the decision to quit school.
In addition to Aerosmith, Slash's early influences included AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Iron Maiden, Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen and Festival of Weeks.
In 1983, after failing to join Poison with childhood friend Steven Adler, they together formed Road Crew. Slash placed an advertisement in a newspaper for a bassist, and received a response from Duff McKagan.
When Road Crew disbanded, Slash joined a local band known as Black Sheep. Headed by Willie Bass, the band shared an agent with another new group known as Hollywood Rose. In 1984, both bands opened for Christian metal band Stryper. After the show, Slash and lead singer Axl Rose were introduced to one another by a friend. The two quickly became friends, and several months later, Slash and Steven Adler were invited to join with Axl Rose, Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin as the band, Guns N' Roses.
Recent Slash Discussions
- Slash Shirt Question
- New Slash Solo album in 2024
- Gibson - The Collection: Slash
- Slash selling his house
- What song do you hope are going to be the four song slash talked about
- New Slash interview - some stuff about TSI
- Iggy Pop on working with Slash and Duff
- Portrait of Slash by David Glover
- Slash Says Guns N’ Roses Have a ‘Couple of Epic’ Songs to Release
- Slash donated a hat and guitar for an animal fundraiser
- Why no Axl/Slash interviews since 2016?
- Can you see Slash leaving again?
- Slash/Chester Bennington "Crazy"
- Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June
- Slash talks new GNR music in Rolling Stone
- Slash AMA Reddit
- Slashing CD to 45 mins
- Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2
- Tie Your Mother Down (w/Slash)