You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: So what's going to happen to the forums once CD drops...

I've long wondered what will come of all the forums once CD drops.  I mean once we have the album finally, what is there going to be to talk about.  No one sits and disects WTTJ or NR any more, so eventually topics will be exhausted.  The constant stream of rumors and ideas will no longer exist to cause controversy and discussions.

I'm sure a bunch of 12 year olds will stroll in for a new york minute and cause some debate, but they'll slowly fade.  Are we going to continue to discuss rumors and debates on any future follow up albums?

The inevitable tour will cause some discussion, but outside the expected "Axl canceled or no showed here show" there won't be alot to talk about.  It's great that we have other parts of the site to talk about things like politics or movies, but will the base stay after what brought us all together in the first place is gone?

Just wondering what other people think.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I think we will discuss the hell out of the album even more.

If there's a tour, that will be discussed.

There will be reunion rumors.  There will be rumors of future projects. 

And there will be discussions of new vs old as always.  Once the album is actually out, there will be more of a basis to compare the two so i expect that will happen.

I expect the off topic sections will be very popular.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

To be honest Randall, I remember HTGTH & MyGNR in 2006... it wasn't all that active for a band that was actively touring the world. It even got deader in 2007. Way unlike 2001 & 2002, when things were abuzz.

I really think they'll die, or they'll shrink down to a size that's just a shell of their former self.

The anticipation will be gone. Over. Done. And I really think that's 99% of the juice alot of these boards have seen over the years. People wanting to know about this 'mythical' album, to talk about 'what if'. That'll all be over when it's released. It's kind of like, as a horror fanboy, you sat back for years and thought about all kinds of stuff, like the epic battle of 'Freddy vs. Jason' and how cool it'd be, and all the stuff that would happen, and this would happen, and that would happen, and it'll be crazy. Then they ACTUALLY MADE IT. And it was just another film. It came, did good BO, and faded away to reruns on broadcast outlets across the nation at 2am.

The same will happen with CD imo. Times have changed, the old band isn't there. The fanbase has been split in half for years with the whole VR vs. New-GN'R thing, and with there being people who literally are not fans of the current band, that number is twindled down.

The majority of the people that have waited for this album, will go get it, listen to it, comment for a couple weeks on it, and I guarantee you will feel an overwhelming sense of... "where do we go now?"

The driving force behind fans for the last 15 years, will be in their hands. I'm not saying GN'R will lose fans. If New GN'R continue to release records, they'll buy them, it's just it'll be "just another record" coming out. It won't have the baggage.

Some folks will stick around imo, the same that have always been diehards posting on boards, and i'm speaking of the actual admin's at alot of these places, but the actual bulk of the lurkers & posters... will fade away. They'll find other things to do. Because it's over. It'll no longer interest them.

We might sit here and pick apart the juicy songs like Sorry or This I Love. But the rest? No. We've already done it. We've picked apart Madagascar, CD, Riad, & Street Of Dreams for SEVEN years. Better, I.R.S., TWAT, Catcher for 2-3 years.  And we've went after If The World & Prostitute since June.

Hell, even Shackler's Revenge feels all talked out at this point.

A board like GN'R Evo will survive, because we have a loyal following. It's about the same posters everday, like myself, James, Neemo, Russ, Randall, Tejas, DTJ has returned, CC, Von, Elmir, Strat, downliner, Saikin, PaSnow... (forgive me if i'm forgetting you)

A steady and reliable roster of posters. But the 'big three' don't have that. Never have. They're everyday posters are people who are only around for about 6 months ('til they get banned), and they move on. The people that have been registered at those boards for years, might post once or twice a month. The rest are just trolls. I've never seen a 'high profile' board not be like that. That's what you get for getting into bed with GN'R. It's not Guns fault either, that's just the nature of the beast with the internet. The bigger you are, the more lonely it's gonna be at the top.

We don't really know what will happen. Because we've never been in this position before. But i've been around the block before, seen some things.... and I think this is our inevitable fate. Or at least the big 'uns fate.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Insiders, hoarders whatever will still be around to BS about having The General, Atlas Shrugged, Thyme, etc. Topics will soon turn toward the next CD, which I expect we all should come in short order because recording must already be done--mostly, that is.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The trillion dollar question.....

I've always wondered about a post CD era as well. The album being released has huge repercussions for every GNR site. There will be a ton of activity in the weeks following release, but a drop off will naturally happen. Closure is provided, but I do think quite a few of the long time members will stick around, if just strictly out of habit.

It certainly wont be the same though.

Maybe Axl will pay hired hands to talk about how mind blowing something called Iranian Fascism is........and we'll fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

I'll stick around. I enjoy this site. IT's like a community pool hall where everyone has something in common.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Maybe Axl will pay hired hands to talk about how mind blowing something called Iranian Fascism is........and we'll fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

Then followed by American Democracy, which by that time will be as ironic as the title Chinese Democracy.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

The forum goes down quite frequent as it is, I dont wanna think about when it does
drop.  Time to upgrade provider guys smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
mickronson wrote:

The forum goes down quite frequent as it is, I dont wanna think about when it does
drop.  Time to upgrade provider guys smile

we're working on it... 17

Board footer