You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I look at the bright side. Maybe Axl just unloaded this bitch of a record, that has been a double-edged sword for the last 15 years... just to get the fucker out of the way.

Now maybe Axl just wants his hardcore, loyal fans, and he's gonna take GN'R the route of NIN. Exclusive, limited releases, that he controls himself inside and out.

Sounds good to me...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I look at the bright side. Maybe Axl just unloaded this bitch of a record, that has been a double-edged sword for the last 15 years... just to get the fucker out of the way.

Now maybe Axl just wants his hardcore, loyal fans, and he's gonna take GN'R the route of NIN. Exclusive, limited releases, that he controls himself inside and out.

Sounds good to me...

That is true.  I don't think it's important to Axl anymore to rule the world or be the biggest rock star on the planet.  He accomplished that in the past.  Not so sure if he could do it again (probably not), but if he wanted to he'd be out doing promotion, interviews, and getting any bit of exposure he could get.  I do think he's satisfied with just getting music out there to those who still care, and to all those opposed, hmm, well.

BUT, I would think Best Buy would want to maximize on the deal they made.  If they struggle to sell 5K per week from here on out that'll be hard to do.  Not sure what they could do by themselves to push the album out the door aside from lowering the price even more.  I guess that's their problem to deal with though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Like I said from the moment the BB exclusive was announced, you'll eventually be able to buy this album for 5 bucks.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

That's looking more and more likely.  Supposedly the exclusive deal is just for 6 months right?  So between now and May they have to unload 800K units or so until it's no longer exclusive.  I would assume at that time the album would be re-released in some form (different covers, re-worked booklet with correct lyrics, etc) and be made available all over, although I really shouldn't assume anything in the land of GNR.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I never thought in a million years that CD would become a bargain bin item, alongside The Spaghetti Incident.

WOW

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I never thought in a million years that CD would become a bargain bin item, alongside The Spaghetti Incident.

WOW

In defense of GNR, quite a few albums become bargain bin items at Best Buy. That's how they operate. They use cheap cds to help get traffic in their stores. Back when I bought Arular, it was $7.99. That wasn't its original price.

One of the reasons GNR's GH cd sold like hotcakes was because BB quickly set its price at $5.99 not long after its release. I never bought it, but I do remember it having that price tag not long after its release.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

James is right. A lot of these big box retailers, perhaps most notoriously Best Buy, used albums such as GN'R GH set at rock bottom prices to drive casual listeners into the store who'd maybe then buy a new fridge or hi-def TV. On the plus side, it helped propel an album like that to the otherwise unattainable sales it's achieved. But again, that's how these stores operate. The demise of mom and pop record shops has only seen the big guys use CDs as little more than a cheap marketing ploy. The exclusive deal has probably already paid for itself as far as Best Buy's concerned, and that would have nothing to do with the album's actual sales.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

"hey you know that $5 album you have in your hands would sound mint on a $1000 stereo wink and dont forget the new TV, Blue Ray Player and $1000 in cables while you're here"

that is the line of thinking of best buy ... sometimes it works ... superbowl sunday sales are coming up too ...

"heres a great price on a new TV, well you might s well buy surround sound while you are here...oh yeah heres the movie player....and hell throw in a PS3 and some music CD's while your at it."

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Surprisingly, for some uknown reason, CD went up to the 6th place on the Hungarian chart from the 23rd position.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Sounds good to me...

This is one of the reasons why i could care less about the sales of this album.  Musically it is great.  Now a better estimate of how popular this album is would be the amount of times it has been downloaded.  That number is going to be large. 

Axl may enjoy a private life where his face isn't plastered everywhere.  If that's what he wants, he's entitled to it.  I wouldn't mind him putting out albums like NIN from this point on.  Wouldn't phase me one bit.

Board footer